Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cross Post! Band to Sleeve question

I am relatively new here. Sorry that this is so long. I am starting the process of revision. I met with my surgeon who is great and told him that I wanted the band removed and probably convert to sleeve. I was extremely successful with the band and lost 100% of my excess body weight about 8 years ago and maintained for 3 years. I had two babies and due to severe morning sickness had to take 1/2 the Fluid out my band for each. For the first pregnancy I gained a ton of weight (70lbs) but lost all of it but 20lbs within a year before I got pregnant again. After the second baby (3 years ago) I have not been able to lose weight at all. I am now almost up to my pre-surgery weight. I have been struggling with the past 2 years with fills - my upper GI showed mild enlarged esophagus which returned to normal when fill was removed. Bottom line I realize now that the only way that the band worked for me so well was when it was extremely tight and it controlled my hunger. I don't think that this was o healthily and I don't think I can do this anymore without irritating and enlarging my esophagus. I prefer the sleeve over the bypass because I think restriction works well for me. I asked my surgeon about the esophagus problem and he said that it was being caused by the band and should not be a problem with the sleeve since my enlargement is very mild. I had an endoscopy and the GI doctor said the same thing - that I am in good shape and there is no reason for me not to have the surgery. Can someone explain to me why you do not get an enlarged esophagus with the sleeve? I do not understand the mechanics and I don't have another appointment with the surgeon for a month. Also can someone explain what it feels like to be full with the sleeve? With the band I got a painful feeling. When my esophagus was enlarging I was able to eat a lot and it sort of felt like it was in my throat. Does this happen with the sleeve? I am worried that I am "used" to the feeling of food in my throat and the sleeve will not work for me. I am probably being neurotic here! I want to state also that I completely trust my surgeon and he is world renowned at a top teaching hospital in NY. I just want to understand how this works! The surgeon said the sleeve is the way to go for me over the bypass.

Thanks!

I too was banded and very successful but ended up with a dilated esophagus. I revised to the sleeve and while yes, it's nice to not feel stuck or PB any more of have that terrible pain after eating (I kept my band very tight) I've gained 10 lbs since my surgery. I'm constantly hungry and I can eat very large portions. Removing the band was like opening a flood gate for me and my "sleeve" is bigger and easily stretched due to the scar tissue that was left behind. I have x-rays to show how misshapen it is. I'm not pursuing a revision to the MGB, I wish I had never sleeved at all to be honest and I wouldn't be facing a 3rd surgery. In my research I've found those who did well with the band struggle more with the sleeve while those who were unable to lose with the band do pretty good. I NEVER imagined I would consider a malabsorption procedure but after reading about the long term success of the MGB, I'm sold.

This is a quote from the MGB forum that someone was nice enough to share with me. She said her doc talked her into the MGB and these are the reasons that he gave her ...

I thought that because a restriction only procedure had worked so well for me before it would again. His points were. 1) if you have a band your stomach will be damaged so they would have to make the pouch slightly larger because of scar tissue therefore you will probably be able to eat more 2) your body is not shocked by just going on a low cal diet again, it's used to it 3) it's reversible 4) they don't bypas as much of the intestines so malabsorption is not as high (this was my main reason I didn't want it) 4) usually a couple of good Multivitamins a day is all the supplements you need, with traditional rny it's more 5) probably won't suffer with as many extreme reactions to sugar/ fat as rny. 6) if you have a bypas then you have no where else to go, no more surgery, if you have a sleeve and it doenst work you will need to revise again anyway (especially relevant if you are self pay like me!)

It was this post that really led me to researching the procedure. I'm not saying you might not do amazing with a sleeve, I just wish that I had someone to tell me both sides of it before I made my decision. Best of luck!!

I have read many posts on different boards of people that revised to sleeve and were successful. I researched for about 2 years knowing that my band would have to come out eventually (due to common band issues). It seems to be working pretty easy for me. I am down 16 lbs in 3 weeks since surgery 3/9/15. I am not sure about the esophageal issues you had affecting your "fullness" feeling. For me it has been a different full feeling... it is in my stomach, not barfing of sliming. Most people say that the sleeve is what they wished the band had been. Truly permanent and effective. The biggest benefit for me has been being satisfied on such tiny amounts. I can only eat about 2 ounces of soft foods right now, and I am done. Literally, done like I cant eat another bite. I know this amount will increase to 4-6 oz but like you I was 100% successful with the band and know what foods to eat when my capacity increases.

As to the pouch size, it is not true at all that they have to make it bigger if you were banded.. in fact I have never heard that before. I had severe damage, and had to wait for 5 months after band removal to let my stomach heal, and my Dr. used a 32 bougie on me. It is also not reversible as someone was apparently told, lol.

Edited by liannatx

I have read many posts on different boards of people that revised to sleeve and were successful. I researched for about 2 years knowing that my band would have to come out eventually (due to common band issues). It seems to be working pretty easy for me. I am down 16 lbs in 3 weeks since surgery 3/9/15. I am not sure about the esophageal issues you had affecting your "fullness" feeling. For me it has been a different full feeling... it is in my stomach, not barfing of sliming. Most people say that the sleeve is what they wished the band had been. Truly permanent and effective. The biggest benefit for me has been being satisfied on such tiny amounts. I can only eat about 2 ounces of soft foods right now, and I am done. Literally, done like I cant eat another bite. I know this amount will increase to 4-6 oz but like you I was 100% successful with the band and know what foods to eat when my capacity increases.

As to the pouch size, it is not true at all that they have to make it bigger if you were banded.. in fact I have never heard that before. I had severe damage, and had to wait for 5 months after band removal to let my stomach heal, and my Dr. used a 32 bougie on me. It is also not reversible as someone was apparently told, lol.

The reversible was in regards to the MGB, the sleeve however is revivable. It's great that you were able to wait 5 months to let your stomach heal, however being self pay I didn't have that luxury and i know and have talked to many others in my now over 2 years of research that the band can and does at times damage the stomach to the point that a smaller sleeve increases risk which is why my doc had to use a 42 Bougie. Yes there are a lot of people who do great going from band to sleeve, there are also a lot that don't, it's important to know that there is always a chance it may be nothing like you hope it would be like in my case.

@@Band07 - thank you for your feedback. I will ask my surgeon the questions you raise. Where did you get your surgery done?

@@liannatx thank you for your input as well! I am looking forward to watching your progress! I hope it works out as we both want it to! I am the same weight you were at surgery although I am a little taller. What is your goal?

My original surgeries were in Ohio but I will be going to Mexico to get it right this time ;)

@Bndtoslv I was floating around 145-150 lbs for a couple of years while I had a healthy band, and I was pretty happy there. I looked and felt good and healthy. I think I really want to get to 140. I am a medium to slow loser, but I know that I can drop the weight pretty steadily, but of course it is hard not to get impatient about it, lol.

Check out my post "where are the other strugglers?" On the band to sleeve board for a few other stories about those having a hard time with the revision.