Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had VSG on 1/28/15 and all was going well until my reflux became a lot worse. I am now on Protonix and hope that things will get better.

Now to the scary part. I woke up early Friday morning (1:45am) with extreme heart palpitations, nausea, diahrrea, cottonmouth, and flushed face. I couldn't get my heart rate down so I went to ER. The only thing they found was low potassium. The ER doc said that a leak would cause a rise in my white blood cell count and fever. Both of which were fine. I was given a lot of Adivan, something else to bring down heart rate (can't remember the name), and potassium and sent home. Now I'm lying here nauseous and scared to go to sleep with fears of waking up like Fri morning.

What scares me the most is the fear that I am embarking on the complication trail. I had this surgery to be healthier, not to feel like this and live in fear. Does anyone else get these feelings? Does my situation sound familiar to anyone?

Feeling lost and alone.

Besides going to the ER, have you gotten in touch with your surgeon? He/she should be aware of what you are experiencing. Best.

@@amyecpa The unknown is scary for a lot of people. there are going to be glitches in your journey. Like @@finediva mentioned...Contact your surgeon and make sure he is aware of your condition, what happened and your fears.

We mostly imagine things far worse then they are.

Me I have had it all and am still okay with the outcomes....Please kid, calm down and get your questions answered by your surgeon.

Your gonna be okay hun!

Morning from the freezing part of Connecticut.

Please do not ever feel alone and scared. We have all had our ups and downs of the surgery. I just made sure I followed my surgeons instructions. I had my surgery in 11/2014 and feel great. Started out feeling depressed and anxious, but then within two weeks was feeling alot better. To date, I still can only eat about 2.5 oz of food per sitting. My sister can eat up to 4oz and she had her's in 8/2014.

I do hope you contacted your surgeon. He/She would know exactly what to do with your situations because most Emergency Rooms do not have the knowledge or understanding yet of this surgery. They can assist in making you comfortable, but your surgeon is your best asset.

Hopefully things are going better and you are sleeping and not feeling so anxious.

We are all here to help each other through this journey. Do not ever be afraid to ask any question.

Annamarie

CALL YOUR SURGEON!!! These bariatric doctors have pretty much seen it all, heard it all, and worked through it all. Your surgeon will more than likely have answers for you that the normal doctors in an ER will not because bariatric patients are not someone that they deal with everyday.

No need to put yourself through any uneccessary anguish when your doctor is only a telephone call away.

I had VSG on 1/28/15 and all was going well until my reflux became a lot worse. I am now on Protonix and hope that things will get better.

Now to the scary part. I woke up early Friday morning (1:45am) with extreme heart palpitations, nausea, diahrrea, cottonmouth, and flushed face. I couldn't get my heart rate down so I went to ER. The only thing they found was low potassium. The ER doc said that a leak would cause a rise in my white blood cell count and fever. Both of which were fine. I was given a lot of Adivan, something else to bring down heart rate (can't remember the name), and potassium and sent home. Now I'm lying here nauseous and scared to go to sleep with fears of waking up like Fri morning.

Amy,

Did you eat any refined sugar and/or carbs between 1 and 3 hours before this happened?

Amy,

Did you eat any refined sugar and/or carbs between 1 and 3 hours before this happened?

I have to stop eating and drinking at least three hours before I go to sleep, so definitely no sugar or carbs beforehand. I will mention that I was feeling pretty puny today and thought I was going to vomit. I took two tums to help ease some heartburn and they REALLY helped my nausea. Can reflux cause nausea? Diarrhea? Racing heart? I'd love to hear others' experiences with reflux.

That sounds like an electrolyte balance issue. I have an electrolyte imbalance disorder (preexisting the surgery), and have had to deal with low potassium (and high potassium, and low sodium, and high sodium). Electrolyte imbalances come from Fluid imbalances. How much Water are you drinking? Excess amounts of Water can wash your potassium out. There are other causes of electrolyte imbalance too, and it's not something to take lightly. Call your surgeon, you need to get his help with this.

In the short term, have some banana smoothies. Bananas are very high in potassium.

@@amyecpa i agree that your surgeon is your best resource at this point. Your anxiety is totally understandable, but it's probably not helping your symptoms. I know it is easier said than done, but try to relax, breathe, and focus on taking care of yourself. Sending healing thoughts your way!

Hope by now you've called your doc with your symtoms.

I had a similar experience and yes acid reflux caused nausea for me.

I started vomiting often when I started mushies. Made my new stomach very sensitive. Had the fever, chills and vomiting. My doc had me come right in for the swallow test to see if there was a leak. There was nothing showing but they saw acid reflux. Had to go back on liquids, and kept taking the prilosec.

Took 5-6 days but everything settled down and I'm OK now. I have to be real careful not to eat too much or too fast. Introducing new foods slow and one at at time. Still doing mushed food really cuz I chew tills it pretty much liquid.

RJ is right on, my fears are most often way out of line with whats really going on.

Keep up posted and take care.

Hope by now you've called your doc with your symtoms.

I had a similar experience and yes acid reflux caused nausea for me.

I started vomiting often when I started mushies. Made my new stomach very sensitive. Had the fever, chills and vomiting. My doc had me come right in for the swallow test to see if there was a leak. There was nothing showing but they saw acid reflux. Had to go back on liquids, and kept taking the prilosec.

Took 5-6 days but everything settled down and I'm OK now. I have to be real careful not to eat too much or too fast. Introducing new foods slow and one at at time. Still doing mushed food really cuz I chew tills it pretty much liquid.

RJ is right on, my fears are most often way out of line with whats really going on.

Keep up posted and take care.

I am actually up now (3:15am). I woke up about an hour ago with heart rate over 140. I immediately called my surgeons office, gave my history/symptoms and the dr (non-bariatric) on call gave me a call back. I realize that he had just woken up, but I couldn't understand anything this (much) older gentleman was saying. I've actually taken a low dose of Xanax and my heart rate is down some, so now I'm second guessing whether this is anxiety.

When I woke up Friday morning, my pulse was almost 200 bpm. I've never experienced anxiety like that, not to mention the severe nausea and thirst. So for now, I will just have to wait to talk to my actual surgeon tomorrow. I am praying that they are open on Presidents Day.

The worst part right now is the feeling that I ruined my life. Not just ruined my life, but I did it for vanity. I hope I can look back on these early posts and maybe even get a chuckle, but for now all I can do is ask "What have I done?!?!?" ????

The worst part right now is the feeling that I ruined my life. Not just ruined my life, but I did it for vanity. I hope I can look back on these early posts and maybe even get a chuckle, but for now all I can do is ask "What have I done?!?!?"

You didn't ruin your life. We all go through this fear early on. I remember thinking "What have I done?! OMG I can't undo it!" I too had to take anti-anxiety medication (valium, the parent drug to xanax) and my husband had to play therapist and help calm me down. But now, at 10 weeks out, I'm practically skipping through meadows I'm so happy. And not just because of all the weight loss. I feel so much better. I have a lot of chronic health conditions that I have struggled with since early adulthood, but since the surgery I just feel so much better. I have energy again! My recovery was initially very very rough, and I regretted getting the sleeve, but now I kick myself for having waited so long to get it!

So your heart rate and palpitations could be the result of your low potassium, called hypokalemia. It can cause abnormal heart rhythms, which, if you are like me, would set off serious anxiety issues. Your body has undergone a HUGE change, and it is still trying to get its bearings and reach equilibrium again. You're not even a month out, so your body is still adjusting. Your body is also used to a much higher calorie intake, so for lack of a better term, it's freaking out a bit right now.

Absolutely call your surgeon. He needs to rule out serious problems. Also, you're miserable, and you deserve to feel better. If I had to guess, the changes your body is undergoing are triggering your anxiety disorder, but you want to let your surgeon make that call.

I am so frustrated!!! The nurse from my surgeons office called me back and asked if I had a PCP. (I do, but he was not supportive of this surgery) and she even suggested that my problems may not be surgery related! WHAT?!?!?!? Of course it's surgery related. I felt fine. I had VSG and now I feel horrible.

She did agree to call in an order for complete barbaric bloodwork and I have an appt to see surgeon on Thursday. (He's out of town until then). So aggravated. This is the reason that I spent $13000 and stayed in town instead of much less in Mexico like several of my friends. I expected good follow up care. I'm afraid I'm going to be passed around and no one actually take the initiative/responsibility for my care. When I expressed my fears about my reflux at my two week follow up, the surgeons offices reply was to possibly refer me to a GI dr.

Sorry for the vent, but I am feeling very very alone in my care. I am not a dr!!!!! Can anyone relate?

Who was your surgeon?.

Who was your surgeon?.

Walter Sartor in Monroe, LA at a center for bariatric excellence. ????