Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELP Met with surgeon today - Confused!

:faint:OK. I met with the surgeon today. I was so sick on my stomach I almost up chucked this morning before my appointment! Then I got excited I was finally there talking and scheduling my surgery for the 27th of June. I am self paying do it is going faster. Anyway they gave me a brochure on lap band and it shows statistics of most people losing not losing more than 25% of their Excess weight. A few lost 33% of their excess and like 2 % lost more than that. Is this right???? So if I am 100lbs over weight chances are I will only lose 25lbs???:help:

I borrowed money to get this done and will be paying for the next 5 years!!! and I am only going to lose 25lbs. Please tell me this is not true. How many of you are 100lbs over weight and lost a lot more????

Please herry, before I put more and more time into all the tests next week!

Ok... Not sure where you got these statistics, but that is not true. I assure you people are losing more than 25 pounds after going through surgery. I just had my surgery six days ago and I have dropped twelve pounds.

Now... the Lap-Band is a tool to help you lose weight. It's not a quick fix and you have work the band to make it work for you. I would suggest that you do some more research, talk more with your doctor and read the success stories on this board before you make your final decision. Good luck and I hope you find the best solution for you.

:faint:OK. I met with the surgeon today. I was so sick on my stomach I almost up chucked this morning before my appointment! Then I got excited I was finally there talking and scheduling my surgery for the 27th of June. I am self paying do it is going faster. Anyway they gave me a brochure on lap band and it shows statistics of most people losing not losing more than 25% of their Excess weight. A few lost 33% of their excess and like 2 % lost more than that. Is this right???? So if I am 100lbs over weight chances are I will only lose 25lbs???:help:

I borrowed money to get this done and will be paying for the next 5 years!!! and I am only going to lose 25lbs. Please tell me this is not true. How many of you are 100lbs over weight and lost a lot more????

Bamalama, there are many bandsters on this forum who have met goal. Go to the before and after picture page and check them out. I'm not sure about the statistics, but I know it CAN be done!!

Peace Out!

T~:hippie:

Thanks. I have researched this board over and over and it has been so encouraging!! The booklet I got was the Lap Band book and I had to sign a form that I got it. I had read this site over and over and was so excited then I read that and wanted to cry! Thanks for your help. I have been checking out the site for almost an hour and I am getting excited again! THANKS!

Thanks. I have researched this board over and over and it has been so encouraging!! The booklet I got was the Lap Band book and I had to sign a form that I got it. I had read this site over and over and was so excited then I read that and wanted to cry! Thanks for your help. I have been checking out the site for almost an hour and I am getting excited again! THANKS!

You are very welcome. I know for me whenever I am getting afraid that I might fail at this too, I always return to that thread...it is soooo encouraging! Good luck!

Hello, my lap band is scheduled for June 19th, & I sure hope that isn't true. I too have self funded this surgery. I also have 100 lbs to lose. Well, I believe each person is different, but from what I have read, if we stick to what we are supposed to eat, & do, we should well exceed 25 lbs.

I have around 100 lbs to lose and have lost 46.5 lbs in just 3 1/2 months. I am just rounding the corner where I have really good restriction where the weight will be coming off more consistently. I have had 2-3 week stalls in just this time period which is frustrating but I know it will eventually kick in again and it has. I am on my third fill and am getting great restriction and am feeling very confident in the rest coming off.

My sister has had the band for just 3 months and she has lost 53 lbs. Just another example for you that if you work at it, you will succeed at this.

Good luck in your journey!!!

What encouragement!!! Thank you SOOO much for letting me know! My BMI is 38 sounds like we are right in the same ball park and its great to know you are doing so well. I am excited and going forth on the 27th of June

I was afraid of the same thing, especially being a lower BMI. I had 99 lbs to lose, lost 10ish pre op (took me 5 weeks) and have lost 12 post op (banded 8 days ago). Technically, I've already lost what they said and given my restriction level, I KNOW this won't be the end of it!

I had 154lbs to lose to get to the high end of a "normal" weight.

I ended up losing 183lbs, getting me down to the lower end of normal, and a BMI of 19.5 (I think my doc worked it out to be 115% of my excess weight lost)

Losing 100% of your excess weight can be done. It just takes a total lifestyle change, and some hard work.

chickie, you look postively amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and thank you so much for sharing your personal photos your intirely a new women! how inspiring you are.

I know that weightloss for each person is different but the band has been wonderful for me. I've lost 76 pounds so far.

chickie, you look postively amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and thank you so much for sharing your personal photos your intirely a new women! how inspiring you are.

Thank you!

I asked my doc the same question as I did a LOT of reading studies, etc. Remember this saying "There are lies, DAMN LIES, and STATISTICS!"

You may be seeing an average number but realize that some of the early studies didn't produce great results b/c they were done by a bunch of bypass surgeons and had poor followup. You also don't know the history of the patients inthe series. Did they get their fills? Did they follow the eating instructions? Etc, etc, etc.