Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OMG What an amazing 2 year ride!

Just checking in. It's been 2 years since my gastric sleeve! My before and after pix are loaded as of today vs 2 years ago. I completely forgot what I was and had become. It has been an amazing journey! I almost went for the lap band and THANK GOODNESS someone talked me out of it! The sleeve has been a dream come true!!!!! I started as a 5'11 male (still 5'11 lol), 260 lbs. I am now 179/180 and lightest I have been since a shorter child. I have exceeded all expectations. My medical goal was 200 and i beat that by 20 lbs. I won't lie. It was easy in the beginning and then I started working out. Without the extra work, I was stable at 200 or so. Not too shabby. I work out 5 days a week now via running and pushups and that has kept me around 180. I'm sure I would be around 200 without it.. That said, I did have a bad 6 month 18 months ago when I had reached by goal weight of 198 (200 was goal) and then got back up to 215. I was drinking a little each day and then the munchies. I decided i wouldn't do all of this work just to go back, so limited my drinks to my dates and nights out (and I drink plenty). I drink when I eat, although not suggesting anyone else do that until you know what you can do).. The workouts have been key and thus, I give myself a lot of credit for the discipline and hard work. I also recognize that I would not have come close to doing this but for the magic sleeve.

sleep apnea-GONE

Diabets-Gone

resting heart rate of almost 100 then down to 60

Cholesterol borderline high to low

blood pressure to borderline high to low end of normal

Before 265 lbs. 42 inch waist

After 180 lbs 34 inch waist

height 5'11

Anyone new out there, enjoy the ride and work hard!! Life changes completely!

Edited by NJSleeveboy

Thank you for posting. It is good to know that with discipline and hard work, the surgery works as a tool to keep the weight off.

I was at the point of scheduling my lap band surgery several years ago and I am glad I didn't. The lap band doesn't remove the part of the stomach that the hunger hormone, Grehlin is made in. Lap band surgery requires an incredible amount of discipline to abstain from trigger foods and sliders, consistently maintain a way of eating and to exercise religiously to keep the weight off. Despite spending seven years in the US Army, I do not have that amount of discipline. I admire those that have been successful with the lap band WLS for I know now the incredible amounts of work they have to do to lose the weight and maintain that loss.

The further I get out, the slower the weight loss. The more I have to exercise and watch myself to not fall into bad habits. I think the sleeve is just a tool but it gives you months of practice in eating small amounts of food, eating Protein first, drinking enough Water and exercising so you can change your life for the better.

Blessings,

Kathleen

Edited by Katcloudshepherd

Congratsc

Congrats! My two year is on sept 18th. I have lost 151 pounds but have been at a stall for their last 3 montyhs . today I'm going to try and jump start it with a 7 day liquid diet. Any ideas would be great!

Congrats! My two year is on sept 18th. I have lost 151 pounds but have been at a stall for their last 3 montyhs . today I'm going to try and jump start it with a 7 day liquid diet. Any ideas would be great!

@katybradley I don't think u've updated ur profile. So you are already below your target and just want to lose even more? Can you clarify? that is AMAZING! For me, I stalled at 200 lbs, but was my goal, but decided I missed the exciting weekly weigh ins.. So, no choices, other than increase workouts or eat less. I did both after a cruise early in the year.. and like magic, the weight came off and another 20 lbs. WE now now stalls happen all the time, so I don't care, as long as I know I'm doing the right things, good old MR scale will end up doing right by you. Also, it's how the close fit if u are working out! I lost nothing my first months of heavy working out, but i was getting so fit and more muscular and my sizes were shrinking so all good. Regardless, 151 lbs is absurdly amazing and was only a dream for you 2 years ago. keep that in perspective :-)

Nj thanks for sharing . I scheduled for Oct 14 I am roughly same size and weight you were at your start . It is very reassuring to see where I can be in 2 years great motivator. Did you have any troubles along the way certain foods, certain hardships?

I had zero food hardships. Def takes a while in the beginning for stomach to heal, but I had no intolerance to any of my fave food, or anything for that matter. I had the stalls you read about, but overall, it's quite the journey, and I recall being in your shoes, looking at folks a few years out and just hoping.. So, time flies! Good luck, my friend! Enjoy the ride!

You look great NJ. Congrats.