Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Appetite and Cravings

I am pre-op, self-pay with a BMI of 30. I have suffered an eating disorder for most of my life, even before weight became an issue in my late 30's. It is my hope that this surgery will provide me the opportunity to finally have a healthy relationship with food. I have eaten a primarily healthy diet, but have experienced terrible episodes of out if control binge eating since I was 5. I am hoping to hear from others who struggled in this way to hear if the removal of the part of the stomach that secretes ghrelin has made the difference? I'm not expecting a panacea, just hoping this will be the answer to helping me win this terrific battle I've been fighting most of my life. Your insights and experience as long-term post-op sleevers is most appreciated!

I was never diagnosed with an ED but I would eat in out of control binges pre sleeve. Maybe not the ones you hear about on A&E type intervention shows but I would have period of times where in about 10 minutes I could consume a couple thousand calories in Cookies, Peanut Butter or chocolate. I was also a stress eater and still am or would be if surgery didn't make me pause and think about what I am doing and if I eat I usually make good choices. Plus I just can't binge with the sleeve. It's not physically possible. I also can't eat too much sugar or I feel I'll. sugar was my drug of choice before and would trigger binging.

In any case, surgery won't cure the ED. so still get the counseling for that. But it does slow you done enough to make better choices. It did for me anyway.

Thank you for you kind response. I am definitely having counseling for the ED. I survived a violent attack as a child, which is when the ED appeared. but it is extremely encouraging to hear the surgery helps, as well. I feel very hopeful.

Thank you for your kind response!

I have been undergoing counseling for the ED, which has helped, but only to a certain point. Maybe after a long time therapy might be all I need, but Im so weary of living this way, and feel like I want to make the most of the time I have. Life is so beautiful!

From what you describe, I seems it has helped you in a way that sounds very encouraging to me.

When I was 5, I survived a violent attack, and have done pretty okay, with the exception of this terrible ED that has plagued me since that time. I'm looking forward to taking my whole life back!

If your all still around, ed therapy helped me and intuitive eating freed me from the diet binge cycle. Feel free to pm me anytime