Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My appointment with the Surgeon

Was today, somehow I got it confused and arrived over an hour early, so two and a half hours went by before I finally saw him, he was delayed also due to a surgery he had to do in the afternoon.

I wanted to write here because my husband isn't supportive at all, he hasn't shown any interest, asked me how it went.. nothing. I met a lady who had the band and told me it was great. I liked Dr. Shayani, he was very nice, very experienced and the lap band is all he does, he says he is very passionate about it. He showed me before and after photos of some of his patients. Explained the type of people he can't help and those he can. He asked me lots of questions and I asked him a couple, he told me that not being able to drink carbonated soda was a myth. He explained to me that right now we could go to McDonalds and he could eat 20 chicken nuggets without a problem.. I almost said, I will take those chicken nuggets and raise you a cheeseburger and fries.. but he was being very serious at the time. He said after surgery about 3 would be all I could manage. At the end of it all he told me to go away and think about it.. I told him no.. I already did and I want it. Oh best of all he told me I look nowhere near my age.. I am in love.. LOL.

I met with one of his team who went over all the things I need, I already had a clear mammogram, having a pap smear and colonoscopy soon, they told me to make my appointment for the psych consult and tomorrow make appointments for the oesophogram and the lab work. They made a dietician appointment on the spot. I was told if all went well they would schedule me at the end of October beginning of November.

So I am on my way! Very exciting phase.. trepidation too.. but I can do this.

Congrats! I am only a week out and am so glad I made this decision. I am sure you will be too. My husband also has not supported my surgery but my parents and close friends have. I had been sick for years and had swollen up approximately 8 months ago. ALL swelling is gone! I love just staring at my feet and legs because while not svelt yet they are normal! I can't wait to see all the other changes in store for me. Enjoy the ride and know that you will get a ton of support on this site! Reach out people are hear to listen and offer advice!

Congratulations on your decision for better health and normal weight! I commend you for taking charge of your life and what you want. Everything will fall into place as the psychiatrist will explain to you about changes that you may have to endure with family and friends. My cousin went through not having spousal support and now 5 months out, he's in love all over again and really don't want her out of his sight! Partially because he's a little jealous of her weight loss and sleek figure!:)

Congrats Shantra. I have my last appointment before my surgeon sends in the docs to insurance. I'm not worried about qualifying. My BMI is well over 40. Keep us updated on approvals etc.

I believe my BMI is closer to 55 right now as they measured me smaller than I thought I was. The surgeon said that I am clearly at a point where something must be done. He wasn't wrong there! LOL. Bit concerned about the psych consult.. I guess quite a few people are. But I feel good about taking charge and doing something good for me!

Congratulations!

I'm sorry that your husband isn't on board. That's going to make recovery a little more frustrating. HOWEVER. You CAN do this without him. You'll do fantastically, and he'll just do what he's going to do. Stay strong. :D

Congrats on making the decision. There is a lot of support here on the forum, even if you don't have it at home. I am almost 6 months post-surgery and don't regret it for a second! I still have not had a carbonated beverage. I think I could physically drink one, but it will make me feel bloated. I gave up lattes because they made me feel like that. So, I have no desire to try it.

As you prepare for surgery, the important thing is to stay on the pre-op diet that your surgeon tells you. That can be difficult if you have people around you who are not supportive. You have to be strong for yourself. You are your own number one advocate. I was on a 5-week liquid diet (2 weeks pre and 3 weeks post op). It would have been super uber hard without the support of my boyfriend, family and friends.

Good luck!

- Kristi

Was today, somehow I got it confused and arrived over an hour early, so two and a half hours went by before I finally saw him, he was delayed also due to a surgery he had to do in the afternoon.

I wanted to write here because my husband isn't supportive at all, he hasn't shown any interest, asked me how it went.. nothing. I met a lady who had the band and told me it was great. I liked Dr. Shayani, he was very nice, very experienced and the lap band is all he does, he says he is very passionate about it. He showed me before and after photos of some of his patients. Explained the type of people he can't help and those he can. He asked me lots of questions and I asked him a couple, he told me that not being able to drink carbonated soda was a myth. He explained to me that right now we could go to McDonalds and he could eat 20 chicken nuggets without a problem.. I almost said, I will take those chicken nuggets and raise you a cheeseburger and fries.. but he was being very serious at the time. He said after surgery about 3 would be all I could manage. At the end of it all he told me to go away and think about it.. I told him no.. I already did and I want it. Oh best of all he told me I look nowhere near my age.. I am in love.. LOL.

I met with one of his team who went over all the things I need, I already had a clear mammogram, having a pap smear and colonoscopy soon, they told me to make my appointment for the psych consult and tomorrow make appointments for the oesophogram and the lab work. They made a dietician appointment on the spot. I was told if all went well they would schedule me at the end of October beginning of November.

So I am on my way! Very exciting phase.. trepidation too.. but I can do this.

He really is a great surgeon. I have done my research on him since I work in the industry and I have only heard very positive things about him. I am just starting the process and I wish ypu all the best. When is yoir surgery date?