Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op Diets........ Why the variance?

I am curious why the liquid and pre-op diets lengths are so different for everyone. I have seen some on here that only have to do liquids for 2-3 days prior, for me it has been 15 days. I am guessing it has something to either do with weight, BMI, or maybe just surgeon specific but I thank the Lord I only have one more day before my surgery because this has been the roughest two weeks for me. On the plus side I have lost 23 lbs which means less to loose Post Op.... but I would not wish this liquid regimen on anyone.

Different doctors have different protocols. Varies with your weight, bmi, general health etc.

Thanks Jacileggs, I kind of assumed that was the reasoning behind but wasn't certain, only one more day to go though so I got this!

I was told you do this so your liver is not as fatty. It makes it easier to get around your liver when they do the surgery. I only had to do seven days. Each doctor is different.

I'm sure blood work has something to do with it...I'm very heavy with an astronomical BMI but have no comorbidities with good cholesterol etc., and only had to do 2 days Clear Liquids pre-op, thank goodness! broth and sugar-free Jello got real old real fast, I can't imagine doing 15 days. Stick with it - there are some decent-tasting Protein shakes out there that will get you through!

Good luck! :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I changed my profile image to a molecule of protein. Why? Because I am certain that it saved my life.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • eclarke

Two years out. Lost 120 , regained 5 lbs. Recently has a bout of Norovirus, lost 7 pounds in two days. Now my stomach feels like it did right after my surgery. Sore, sensitive to even water.  Anyone out there have a similar experience?
      · 0 replies
    • Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Well recovering from gallbladder removal was a lot like recovering from the modified duodenal switch surgery, twice in 4 months yay 🥳😭. I'm having to battle cravings for everything i shouldn't have, on top of trying to figure out what happens after i eat something. Sigh, let me fast forward a couple of months when everyday isn't a constant battle and i can function like a normal person again! 😞
      · 0 replies
    • KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches