Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Embarrassing tmi question for women

I'm 3 weeks out from surgery and I discontinued my birth control for a month as advised by my dr due to blood clot risks. Last night my husband and I had an oops moment with a broken condom.

I've been married for 12 years and always on birth control so I've never had to worry about things like this. When we decided to get pregnant 10 years ago it happened on the first try so this is why I'm so worried.

What should I do?? I'm not comfortable talking to my surgeon about this.

I was going to get a morning after pill last night but then I read it is high risk for blood clots.

I just got off a 2 week long after surgery period yesterday if that makes any difference.

I know you said you aren't comfortable talking to your surgeon - what about your pcp or gyno? From what my doc said in education sessions, getting pregnant this soon after surgery could be very dangerous.

I know you must be really scared, and I wish you the best!!!

If you don't want to talk about this with your surgeon, can you talk to your gynecologist? For me, the reassurance would be worth the embarrassment.

Well I would but she isn't in until Monday. I'm not sure if I should wait that long to do something such as take a morning after pill..?

I just called the doctor's after hours service and some man literally laughed at me when I told him and told me he only pages doctors for medical emergencies. I'm literally in tears right now.

Go to the oharmacy. Ask the pharmacy for plan b

They sell it behind the counter. Nonprescription

It's about $45 here in nj. Not sure where you live

It is emergency contraception.

Causes no pain, may cause a period but if you do it within 24 hours you should be safe.

Then talk to your gyno/pcp

Well I would but she isn't in until Monday. I'm not sure if I should wait that long to do something such as take a morning after pill..?

You have 24 hours for best effect

After that starts to be risky

You do not need a prescription

I just called the doctor's after hours service and some man literally laughed at me when I told him and told me he only pages doctors for medical emergencies. I'm literally in tears right now.

Wow. Call them back and tell this IGNORAMUS that it IS an emergency and you need to be put through to the doctor IMMEDIATELY. Then report this guy to the person to the doctor and the person in charge of the emergency after hours service. This should NOT happen again!

Edited by BeagleLover

I'm with the other gals.

This is not only your safety and wellbeing that should be considered here...

Get on that phone and tell that numbnut what he 'determines' is an emergency, is irrelevant. Because of all the possible implications this might have, of which are sizeable, I'd also shove in a complaint. After all - what kind of medical qualification does this bloke have, other than the ability to answer a phone after hours? If you wanted to get arsey about it, you could phone back, say your heart rate is going through the roof, have numbness in your hands as a direct result of his demeanor towards you and watch him kick into action then. Especially 3 weeks out of surgery. What a dick.

If it were me, I'd be knocking back the morning after pill and would take half an asprin, twice a day, until a good week later.

In the meantime, do not take no for an answer and call your doctor.

My thoughts are with you x

I think you're far enough out from surgery that the risk of blood clotting should be much lower. If you're feeling well enough for sex, I'm assuming you're also feeling well enough to be walking a lot and drinking lots of Water, etc. If I were you, I'd go to the pharmacy right away, be totally up front with the pharmacist and ask if she/he thinks it's ok to take the pill (my guess would be yes), and then do what the others have said about calling your surgeon/ripping the guy who answered the phone service a new one.

As has already been stated, the sooner you take the pill, the more affective it is! Don't wait for your surgeon; take the pill sooner, rather than later. I think the blessing of the pharmacist is enough.

Thanks. I called the pharmacist and she said she has no idea. But I do feel great and I am walking 3 miles a day already, so hopefully that will help some. I kind of feel the morning after is my only option at this point as I definitely don't want to risk pregnancy right now.

Yeah, I think unless you're a smoker, walking three miles a day should have you covered. Like someone else said in one of the above posts, you can also take half an aspirin twice a day to put your mind at ease, or use it as a chance to up your walk to four miles ;)

Best of luck!

Edited by WhoKnows

Is be walking to the pharmacy right now and not posting

I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but I thought you should know that "plan b" is not effective in overweight women... I took it after a broken condom situation six years ago, and, you guessed it - I have a five year old son now... While I wouldn't trade him for the world, when I heard this report last fall, it did make his birth seem a bit less miraculous. http://jezebel.com/morning-after-pill-doesnt-work-on-women-over-176-pound-1471069011

Worked just fine for me at 240