Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long be for i can go two the gym

happy - can't wait to get in the gym

@@frankie rixon

welcome to our "little" group :)

hang around and read many other posts, listen to great advice, support

and of course ask any and all questions

we are here to support all, give advice

but - remember ALWAYS listen and do what your doc/NUT says

i read your previous post saying how happy, excited you are being a few days PO :)

glad things are going so well :)

you need to talk to your doc about when you can/should go back to the gym

some people go back quicker than others

6 weeks "seems" to be standard

but, do whatever your doc says - his word is what counts (can't emphasize that enough!!! :)

you are now on your way to a healthier, happier, longer life :)

enjoy the ride

kathy

congrats

Proudgrammy said it. ask your surgeon.

But generally with Laparoscopic surgery 4-6 weeks of no lifting over 20 lbs is standard. If you had a full incision it will be much longer.

Youre a new man with a major surgey and a new metabolism. I know you're excited to get going on reinventing your body, but when you do, take it slow.

Crawl, Walk, Run - it's the way of nature!

When doc clears, you just ease into activity. Your body adapts to the stresses you put it under. It will take some time.

It took me a little over 3 months to be able to be cleared to go to the gym by my doc. I had surgery on the 5th of march. But I had some complications and had to get my gall bladder removed on May 18th and was on TPN through a PICC line for a month. Just got that removed last Thursday and went to the gym on Saturday. It was wonderful, but I over did it and so sore. Listen to your doc, and you can't go wrong. Good luck!!

Take it slow. I can't emphasize that enough.

You must listen to your surgeons recommendations about this.

Like others have said no weight lifting until your surgeon clears you for it.

When I went back to the gym I only did the tread mill and worked up.

Walking now is the best exercise you can do and don't over do it. Also if you have a dog that is very obedient then you can walk it but if it's a dog that pulls you then get someone else to do the walking of it until you heal more.

I wasn't allowed to exercise until one month after surgery at the gym.

I wasn't allowed to lift more the a few pounds until after the first month then only 10 lbs after that for the next month but that was me.

Again I emphasize talk to your surgeon about exercise.

Take care and congratulations.

Thanks all. Happy to be living again. Can't wait to get in the gym

I know you are anxious to get started with a gym regimen but......the gym is not the only resource. Walking, riding a bike, or any other low impact exercise that will get you moving will suffice in the interim of waiting for the gym workouts. I go to the gym on a regular basis and I still use the treadmill the most. (And I just walk as I have knee replacements and when I jog, they make a lot of noise). There is no need to go all out to get some useful exercise.

Don't rush the gym......give your internals plenty of time to heal. You don't want to cause any injuries that will slow your recovery.

I just got released at 4 weeks to go back to lifting. I had a pretty big hiatal hernia so I was afraid the doctor wouldn't clear me that quick. Did my first workout this morning and I was surprised it actually felt good.

One thing my NUT told me was to add more carbs into my diet if I'm going to be working out hard because you need it for the quick energy. I was so focused on Proteins I wasn't getting many carbs at all. So, I've added in more fruits and veggies this week, still getting 60 grams of Protein and can definitely feel the increase in energy.

Of course you need clearance from your doctor but when you do go back, just lift with a little lower weight than you were before surgery and listen to how our body feels.