Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I think I would like to be out 3 weeks from work after surgery. I have a somewhat physically demanding job and I do not have time to concentrate on Water sipping and Protein and what not. During my shift I am responsible for everything and cannot count on much help if any at all from anyone at work. 3 weeks just seems like more reasonable of a time frame to me from what everyone says on here and from observation of people I know had surgery from work. Any thoughts?

I am taking three weeks. My job isn't necessarily physically demanding, but I'm with clients a lot of the time and don't necessarily have the time to stop and think about hydration. I say if you can take the three weeks, do it. I'm 5 days out right now and am still very sore. Can't imagine going back to work that soon.

I am taking three weeks. My job isn't necessarily physically demanding, but I'm with clients a lot of the time and don't necessarily have the time to stop and think about hydration. I say if you can take the three weeks, do it. I'm 5 days out right now and am still very sore. Can't imagine going back to work that soon.

Thank you. The girl i know at work came back after 2 wks and she was so tired. Fine the next week though. That extra week made a huge difference!

I will say I went back after one week and greatly regretted it. I ended up just calling out of two days during my second week. I'm now at the end of that second week and I am still sore (one of my incisions opened up while I was doing housework I shouldn't have been so that's a contributing factor too) Also, if you're job involves standing most of the time or moderate walking, I would suggest no less than two weeks. I am winded after about 20 minutes of moderate walking.

You can always come back early if you feel better than expected, but it was a hard conversation with my boss to have about not coming in after I said I would be gtg.

Good luck to you!

Thank you. Yes I am walking briskly and standing the entire 8 hours. Running all over the place and lifting up to cases of beer. I'm a front end supervisor for a grocery store. Often get one little break for 5 to 10 minutes

Edited by jdillon

I plan to go back after 2 weeks, but it is totally up to the doctor . She has to clear me to return to work . I have a follow up appointment at 2 weeks after surgery so we will see. My job is sitting behind a desk look at computer screens so I guess we will see.

Take the time you need, but understand that Protein and hydration are a LIFETIME commitment after VSG. It's so easy to not get enough of one or the other unless you make a point to focus on it. I'm 8 months out and still have to be intentional about both. Not enough Water and my blood pressure drops so I get dizzy. Not enough Protein (I still use 1-2 protein supplements per day in addition to food to hit my 70+ g) and I get tired and don't lose weight well, (not to mention the potential Hair loss if you let that go for very long).

Take the time you need, but understand that Protein and hydration are a LIFETIME commitment after VSG. It's so easy to not get enough of one or the other unless you make a point to focus on it. I'm 8 months out and still have to be intentional about both. Not enough Water and my blood pressure drops so I get dizzy. Not enough Protein (I still use 1-2 protein supplements per day in addition to food to hit my 70+ g) and I get tired and don't lose weight well, (not to mention the potential Hair loss if you let that go for very long).

The first two weeks are really tough as I understand. I'm taking the third week to really get organized and hopefully not be as sore and get a ritual down that covers my protein and exercise.

You can't lift things for a few weeks, so I would say take 3. You don't want to risk incisions being opened!

Most check stands have the guns so you don't have to lift things but customers put stuff on the belt any how! Why? And why do they fill those carry baskets only to plop it onto the belt and just stand there like you're supposed to unload it? Hmm. Lol.

I think I would like to be out 3 weeks from work after surgery. I have a somewhat physically demanding job and I do not have time to concentrate on Water sipping and Protein and what not. During my shift I am responsible for everything and cannot count on much help if any at all from anyone at work. 3 weeks just seems like more reasonable of a time frame to me from what everyone says on here and from observation of people I know had surgery from work. Any thoughts?

I think I am going to take 4 weeks. I too am on my feet for my whole shift & there is a lot of lifting heavy mannequins, pushing/pulling tables, climbing ladders, etc. My biggest fear is a leak, and I will take as much time as possible to heal properly to prevent 2 surgeries from happening. Take the time for YOU. I never do anything for myself...this time is for ME!