Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vsg 4 weeks out and struggling

Hi , I will be 4 weeks out from VSG surgery on wed , I didn't realize how emotional this would be . I don't know if anything could have prepared me for it . All the ups and downs . I thought my ups and downs would be better supported by " support system " boy was I wrong ... Anyways back to what I am writing about . I am struggling with my slow loss , stalls and regains ... I have had more than one of both . To date because of my regains I have only kept off 14 lbs I would have been down 22 and that sounds so much better !!! I stay under 800 calories and always get my Protein in , so that's why I am so confused . Once I started purée I noticed I was much more hungry than I was while on clear and full liquids . That confuses me as well . I want to be successful at this so much that it hurts , any advise would be greatly appreciated ! ;-)

How much Protein & Water are you getting in? Your body is still in a bit of shock, but if you are doing what your NUT recommended, you should start losing steady. Are you getting enough walking in? Whenever I was stalled, I always asked myself it I'm doing everything I should be. Almost always, I could be more diligent.

Are you tracking all your food and Water with an app like MyFitnessPal? That helped me so much the first year, and still (though I will admit I have been bad with it lately)

Are you are still in the Puree stage?

As far as support, it is hard for anyone who has not lived through this to truly understand, especially the emotional factor so many of us have and still struggle with. Search the boards, almost every topic imaginable has been covered, you just have to look.

Best of luck to you!!

Hi Meredith,

I'm pre-op so no expert but it seems that you are not that heavy so maybe this is what the 800ckal diet will result for you, 14lbs in 4 weeks, So if it carries on like this, you will have reached your goal in 4 months. Would you be happy with that? Loosing slowly might also help you with your skin etc.

On the stalling and putting on weight, maybe only weigh yourself once every week... everyone's weight fluctuates on a daily basis.

It sound like your are doing great when it comes to loss, maybe check out the weight loss of people who are about your weight...

Good luck!

Hi , I will be 4 weeks out from VSG surgery on wed , I didn't realize how emotional this would be . I don't know if anything could have prepared me for it . All the ups and downs . I thought my ups and downs would be better supported by " support system " boy was I wrong ... Anyways back to what I am writing about . I am struggling with my slow loss , stalls and regains ... I have had more than one of both . To date because of my regains I have only kept off 14 lbs I would have been down 22 and that sounds so much better !!! I stay under 800 calories and always get my Protein in , so that's why I am so confused . Once I started purée I noticed I was much more hungry than I was while on clear and full liquids . That confuses me as well . I want to be successful at this so much that it hurts , any advise would be greatly appreciated ! ;-)

A pound a day average loss is very good. Put your scale out of reach and eat correctly. It will all come together.

I am still pre-op, but from reading other posts similar to yours, the general consensus is this:

1. Keep up the good fight - this is a long road and it is worth it!
  2. Your Mushies - are the high carb? Mashed Potatoes, Refried Beans? They can give you head hunger if they are high carb.
  3. Drink, Drink, Drink Lots of Water (well really, Sip, Sip, Sip)
  4. You may be considered a "light weight", you can't judge your weight loss with a man who is 400 lbs and loses 47 lbs the first two weeks, losing 14lbs in one month is still pretty darn awesome!
  5. You really have lost 29lbs since Pre-Op, that is amazing! Give yourself a pat on the back!
  6. Chin Up Girl - it gets better!

Hope this helps :-D

Surgery date , I was 313...four weeks later I was 300 and I followed the post op diet to a "T". Um, I don't think you can be down about 14 lbs in 4 weeks when you are starting at such a low weight. Keep things in perspective and you'll be just fine. Slow and steady wins the race...

I get in 64ounces of Fluid everyday , some days maybe a little more . As for Protein , I was just last week told to decrease from 80-100 to 60-80 by nut and bariatric nurse . So I am also getting that in no problem . I am on MFP and track religiously , I go to the gym 3/4 days a week and use the treadmill and am spinning , both for 40 min each . That's all I am allowed to do for now , until I am 6 weeks out . I just feel the worst about the regaining I guess and I don't understand it . Have any of you had the problem that you became more hungry once you started eating purée ? I read one person said it was because of the introduction of carbs ? Hmm I don't know because I am really not eating that much at night just chicken or turkey and green Beans or broccoli . I don't care for the refried Beans .

And I agree that it is hard for others that haven't had weight loss surgery to understand what we are going through and for the sake of my marriage I'm so grateful for places like this !!

Hi Meredith,

Your post sounds something like what I'm going through. I was sleeved a couple of days before you and have only lost 8 lbs since the surgery. And almost all of that was in the second week. I lost weight more consistently from January to May, before the surgery.

I'm not as active as you, my exercise consists of walking and bicycling, and when I tracked my foods, I confirmed that I'm not eating enough calories. I'm averaging around 600. So my body is probably in starvation mode. Maybe your results are better than mine because you're able to get in more calories and Protein, and you also exercise more vigorously than I can. (I have been a couch potato for the last ten years and it will take me a little while to work up to a more challenging workout schedule.)

They say you shouldn't compare your weight loss with others', but I can completely relate to you feelings of frustration when you read about people who lose huge amounts in their first month. Maybe hearing from someone whose results are less stellar than yours will put things in perspective.

I had my surgery six and a half weeks ago, i was also a lightweight-ish person. Surgery weight being 246. I was down to 220 by my first appt a week and a half later and then by four weeks I was only down to 212. I noticed my weight stalled as soon as I added exercise into the mix. I think sitting around recovering for two or three weeks lost a lot of muscle mass for me and when I began lifting and running again I started to gain muscle back. My NUT told me not to worry this early on as long as I'm seeing inches come off. I'm simply trading my fat lbs for muscle lbs. which I'm totally fine with. I'd rather build muscle and boost my metabolism and be healthy than see 15 lbs drop off the scale in a week. Plus a slower and steadier weight loss equals less skin issues later on.

I attended a panel just last week of WLS patients, and to a person they all said they had NOT expected to be depressed after surgery -- and were shocked that they had REALLY struggled with it, particularly during the first two months after surgery.

If you've read the boards you know there are multiple reasons for this kind of reaction -- the trauma of surgery, big biochemical and hormonal changes due to the surgery, disordered food relationships, etc.

If you're really struggling emotionally, perhaps you should try to find a counselor who has a lot of experience with WLS patients. Happily, I've found someone like that to have access to as I go through this journey. It gives me a great deal of comfort to know that I have this "safety net" to help me.

I hope you feel better very, very soon. All that exercise you're doing must be helping somewhat with anxiety and what sounds like situational depression.

Surgery date , I was 313...four weeks later I was 300 and I followed the post op diet to a "T". Um, I don't think you can be down about 14 lbs in 4 weeks when you are starting at such a low weight. Keep things in perspective and you'll be just fine. Slow and steady wins the race...

My experience has been like that of Sleeveless in seattle's. I am 9 weeks out and have just lost 25ish pounds since surgery. It has been very SLOOOOW (to me, anyway) but steady. My surgeon and nutritionist say 2-3 lbs a week is great. The average for a sleeve patient is 1-2 and 2-3 for gastric bypass.

Just keep doing what you're supposed to and you'll do great. I find that I do better if I make sure to get my exercise in.