Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

no more band

Last night my band was removed, after a few painful months that ended in pain for 3 days straight. Even Water hurt.

So I'm home and it hurts to swallow. I had trouble swallowing pills at the hospital. It turns out my ulvula was damaged-most likely from the anesthesia. Its actuslly laying on the back of my tongue. Has this happened to anyone? The hospital my surgeon operates out of is an hour and a half away. So I dont want to head back there. Should I put a call into his office?

Most likely damage from being intubated? Should be OK in a few days?

post-41899-0-11455300-1396666715_thumb.jpg

Last night my band was removed, after a few painful months that ended in pain for 3 days straight. Even Water hurt. So I'm home and it hurts to swallow. I had trouble swallowing pills at the hospital. It turns out my ulvula was damaged-most likely from the anesthesia. Its actuslly laying on the back of my tongue. Has this happened to anyone? The hospital my surgeon operates out of is an hour and a half away. So I dont want to head back there. Should I put a call into his office?

My husband can't have tubes. For a surgery it took over 1 hour to get the tube down. After the surgery his throat was a mess for about 6 months. I hope you feel better.

It was from intubatuon. I called the dr. He told me to.keep an eye on it, as I have a slight fever too. Lots of icewater and ice chips.< /p>

So sorry to read this. My thoughts for a speedy recovery are with you. Can you tell us what led to the band removal?

My band was placed in 2007. It slipped in 2011 (fill removed and I was on protonix) everything seemed fine. Then in January I started having pain. So I cut out splenda and wheat thinking those could be the culprits. I also cut back to one cup of coffee a day , instead of my usual 3. Still having pain, a few trips to the ER, a course of protonix, CT scan. Then the last few weeks I stopped tolerating solids. I would get pain about 30 min after eating & it would last for hours. Then on Tuesday I had a Protein Shake and was un pain afterwards- which lasted until removal on Thursday. The ER did an upper gi which showed a slippage with major trapped gas. But no blockages. And no restriction- the contrast went thru easily. So they took the remaining Fluid out of my band & sent me home on pain meds. The meds did nothing for the pain. Water hurt to drink. The next day I was back in the ER- and my orginal surgeon removed the band. The only pain I have now is my throat & one incision site- where my port was. And thankfully I can tolerate water, apple juice and ice chips- the only issue being choking from my uvula. I started at 350 before my band and am about 215 now. I did go as low as 160- when I had my first slip as nothing was going down. I have 3 months until a revision surgery- this time the band is not an option. I still have to find out if my insurance covers revisions & jump thru those hoops. My surgeon requires a 3 month healing period/ resting period.

Oh my. You've been through a lot. I'm glad you are out of pain now. Your loss is impressive and I totally get the desire to keep it up with revision surgery. I'd do exactly the same.

Rest now, and good luck for your next step.

I hope you feel better soon. Good luck and keep us posted.