Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for a mentor!

Been working on my program for a year and i have finally gotten my surgery date, May 5!! I'm looking for like a penpal/ moral support. Any one wanna help?? I promise I dont bite!!! lol

I would love to do something like this! I haven't gotten my surgery date yet it's still about 6-8 weeks away but if your up for a new friend I am too! :)

I am here if you need support. I am 1.5 years post op rny.

KLwhite hi my surgery date is May 5 as well I am looking for a buddy as well as penpal please feel free to add me as well as anyone else who may be looking for a penpal. I am so excited its been 8 months so far.

It is so nice to find friends here and get so much support from everyone here.

I do hope everyone is enjoying their day we are one day closer to our new you, anyone else counting the days down? 25 days and counting.

I am just over 9 months post-op. My RNY was on June 25, 2013. I began losing weight one year ago this week when I found MyFitnessPal.com. In that time I have lost just over 180 pounds. I would love to pay forward all the support I received on this site. If you have any questions or just need to vent (and you will!!), please let me know. I certainly don't have all the answers, but I am happy to share what I have learned over the past year.

Carol

I would be happy to chat and give support as I was given before my surgery. I am one week post op and starting to feel human again :)

Hello! I am 14 months post-op and currently in maintenance mode. Please feel free to ask questions or just reach out for support. Congrats on getting your surgery date!

Been working on my program for a year and i have finally gotten my surgery date, May 5!! I'm looking for like a penpal/ moral support. Any one wanna help?? I promise I dont bite!!! lol

Good Luck to you! My date is 5/12/2014 and i'm getting excited/nervous and a slew of emotions. You've made it this far and now your health/weight journey is going into a new phase with the surgery on Monday. Of course all moral support helps but i'm sure you'll do awesome..

Here's to taking our health and bodies back.... ;)

I am just over 9 months post-op. My RNY was on June 25, 2013. I began losing weight one year ago this week when I found MyFitnessPal.com. In that time I have lost just over 180 pounds. I would love to pay forward all the support I received on this site. If you have any questions or just need to vent (and you will!!), please let me know. I certainly don't have all the answers, but I am happy to share what I have learned over the past year.

Carol

The info on your post has really given me a boost. My starting/heaviest weight was 330 and i'm down to 311 with my RNY scheduled for 5/12/2014. My goal weight is 128 so reading posts from people who have actually done it is motivating.

How many days did you work out a week? Did the majority of the weight come off during the 1st 6 months? Do you have any "dumping" episodes? I know I also have to work hard using the RNY as a weight loss tool but just wondering if your weight loss was constant over the year since your surgery?

Baconville that's great congrats besides eating right are you still getting in your 60-75 grams of Protein a day ? Have you incorporated exercise , my day was changed to May 19 and I am focusing on ensuring I am eating right and getting everything ready, how was your recovery after surgery? How soon was you able to go crack to work? I'm sorry I have so many questions .

The info on your post has really given me a boost. My starting/heaviest weight was 330 and i'm down to 311 with my RNY scheduled for 5/12/2014. My goal weight is 128 so reading posts from people who have actually done it is motivating.

How many days did you work out a week? Did the majority of the weight come off during the 1st 6 months? Do you have any "dumping" episodes? I know I also have to work hard using the RNY as a weight loss tool but just wondering if your weight loss was constant over the year since your surgery?

Hi! I work out in some fashion every day. I have high intensity days, and some days that are lower. I have Fit Bit that I wear on my wrist like a watch that tracks my sleep an exercise. My goal is at least 5,000 steps on low work out days, and at least 10,000 on high days. I would say that I strive for 5 out of every seven days to be high intensity. I really encourage you to look at the Fit Bit, it helps so much with exercise and costs about $100.

I am still losing weight every week and am just over 10 months out. I have lost 60 pounds in the second six months since surgery. My goal is to have lost 200 pounds by my 1 year check up. I currently lose about 1-2 pounds a week, so I think I have a reasonable chance to make it. I have never had a stall that lasted more than a day or two. That said, the weight did come off faster during the early months.

I have not had a "dumping" episode, but I have been extremely careful about what I eat. I have not had any problems with good getting stuck or eating any kind of meat either. I have yet to find I food that I can't tolerate at least a bite of.

Hope that's helpful!

Carol

Baconville that's great congrats besides eating right are you still getting in your 60-75 grams of Protein a day ? Have you incorporated exercise , my day was changed to May 19 and I am focusing on ensuring I am eating right and getting everything ready, how was your recovery after surgery? How soon was you able to go crack to work? I'm sorry I have so many questions .

Hi!

You are only a week away!! Hooray for you!!

At this point I am getting between 80-90 grams of Protein every day, on about 750-850 calories per day. It was a slow build up to this point over the year and I followed my clinic's guidelines very carefully. Exercise is a big part of my life. It makes a huge difference. I actually began regular exercise BEFORE surgery, although it was at a MUCH lower level than it is today. Walking was very difficult for me pre surgery due do knee and back pain. I found a recumbent elliptical (one you sit on) that I could do for 20 minutes.

I had a very easy recovery, I think the exercise before surgery played a huge role in that. I had no complications at all. The most important advice I got was to walk, the more you walk the better you will feel.

I planned to take two weeks off and then return half days for one week. By the time that third week came, I was ready to go back full time, I was bored out of my mind at home! However, I do think taking at least two weeks is very important. I work in the district office of a public school district. It is a very sedentary job.

Best of luck to you! If you have other questions, please feel free to ask.

Carol

Good luck tomorrow!! I hope all goes well.