Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have cotton mouth!! Is this normal? I wake up in the night feeling like a swallowed my pillow case. Has anyone else experienced this?

Also, how long did everyone wait to have coffee?

I have more questions than answers, sorry!

Cotton mouth - dry mouth?? More fluids are usually the key to this!

Are you drinking 8+ cups of Water a day?

Are you avoiding caffeine (no coffee or tea)?

Are you on some meds (the most common cause of dry mouth)?

Is your bedroom very dry?

Are you snoring?

Is your pee pale colored like lemonade or dark like apple juice? Dark can mean dehydration.

Good luck figuring this out!

When was your surgery? My mouth was very dry in the first few weeks. I used a dry mouth mouthwash before bed and tried to drink all my Water, but it just took time.

Hahaha I'm sorry I should have been more specific! I am 12 days post op. I have been drinking Water constantly I'm not dehydrated my pee is pale almost clear.

I live in Las Vegas so it's dry... But it's always dry. It's just been the last few nights. I also live alone so I have no idea if I snore lol. I'm going to try that mouthwash you mentioned. Do you remember the brand?

Biotene!! That's the kind I use, anyway... It's spendy but it's awesome.

Awesome! Thanks! Yes, I stopped caffeine 2 weeks before surgery.. But I miss it terribly.

I also stopped caffeine 2 weeks before surgery, but I did have decaffeinated coffee 2 days after surgery. I'm 3 months out and did ask my surgeon about caffeine coffee. He wants me to stay off caffeine as he said it's a stimulant, so I'm sticking with the Decaf. I know a lot of people on here are drinking caffeine so I guess it's up to your surgeon.

I had my surgery in TJ and so my contact with my dr is pretty limited. Honestly this support page has saved me!

Funny I don't know if I've ever had Decaf coffee! Thank you! I'm going to try decaf :)

I had the worst case of dead mouth for about 2 weeks finally I just grabbed my sisters ice cold coke took a mouthful and swilled it round my mouth it felt like it woke up with a bang and I spat it out!
No amount of brushing mouthwash tea drinking Soup etc got rid of it till I did that honestly!
As for coffee can’t help don’t ever drink it don’t like it.

Uhg.. the dry mouth in the beginning sucks. I totally forgot about it so it does go away but it was really bad for awhile.

It's awful! Hahaha I'm so glad it's the norm and that it will go away! Thank you!!

The weird dry mouth will go away once you start eating more solid food, with more texture.

As far as coffee, I avoided it for two weeks, then I started drinking it with a limit of 2 cups per day. I drink more than that now, but luckily I don't have ill effects from it, such as acid reflux. We are supposed to avoid it, as far as I know, due to it being a diuretic and because of the acid production, so take it slow to see how it affects you.

I got horrible smelly breath soon after surgery from ketosis - despite really super oral hygiene. It got better after a few days.

I had the worst case of dead mouth for about 2 weeks finally I just grabbed my sisters ice cold coke took a mouthful and swilled it round my mouth it felt like it woke up with a bang and I spat it out!

No amount of brushing mouthwash tea drinking Soup etc got rid of it till I did that honestly!

Well, you know, lots of people remove the corrosion on car batteries with Coke! Stands to reason it would clean your mouth ;)

ketosis! gives you a nasty yucky dry taste in your mouth. it will go away when you can start getting some carbs back in your diet. try drinking coconut Water (not the sweetened kind, the plain kind).