Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So much fun. NOT.

I have been working on the data for my thesis. :phanvan I don't have it all completed yet, but I have to present a seminar in two weeks on the data that I have right now. I've been entering it into Excel. So far, I have 25 pages of an Excel spreadsheet, and I still have 10 double-sided data sheets to go through and enter the data from them. I have a crappy sample size (full data on only 3 nests and partial data from one, so far), but I have about 900 data points so far, not counting what I haven't entered into Excel. This is going to be SO much fun to analyze. What makes it even better is that I am only halfway through my big-ass box of videotapes, which I'll have to finish for my thesis.

Kill me now.:faint:

Eeeegads! Sounds like you are not going to be having any fun anytime soon...

Good luck plowing through it all and drink lots of caffeine.

Hey, this is part of higher education. Personally, I can't wait to know what you found out. My own dissertation was a little over 300 pages long and mostly boring. But your research is interesting. Keep us posted.

Think outside the box. This is easy advice, I know, but I have a friend who has already completed a doctorat in chemistry and who is now working on one in philosophy and who is able to do this with great success.

Let me explain: because his early training was in Islam he is - though not a theist - able to introduce, thanks to his early training, an approach to his studies that is not Euro-centricist and is able to spot and isolate certain questions which are ignored by the rest of his fellow tribe of philosophers. He is a gifted man and he has the added luck of being allowed to see outside the box which most folks working in his field would be constrained by.

But I must confess, now that I have heard his story, that I would be inclined to cheat. I would want to rope a student who was dealing in a similar field that he have a look at my work with the trade-off that I would look at the work in his/her field.

Of course the trade off would be that we, as scientists in neighbouring fields of research, would swap both knowledge and, well, hunches, and the point of the exercise would be to break outside of the boxes in which we find ourselves so reluctantly and carelessly trapped.

I lucked into a Master's program that doesn't require a thesis. We can do one, but we also have the option for a comprehensive exam or a portfolio (all three requiring oral defense). I had identified two programs, and opted for this one because it has alternative graduation activity choices, and ironically may end up writing a thesis after all.

Laurend - can you abstrat any behaviors you see from the tapes, or do you have a specific aspect you're supposed to observe?

Green's point is very good. I tend to do the same thing, and it has allowed me to get a lot of things I really consider "duh" to get published, because they weren't "duh" to someone else. So go with your instincts, as corny as that sounds.

Been there, done that.. I found that the best $ I spent on mine was hiring out a professional statistician, to crunch the data for me. Lots of math professors will do this on the side. I ended up hiring my old college Alegrabra/calculus teacher to do it for me. Saved my butt, and allowed me to concentrate on the writing. Hang in there!.. it's worth it.

Laurend - can you abstrat any behaviors you see from the tapes, or do you have a specific aspect you're supposed to observe?
I am observing the provisioning behavior of the parents. That is, I'm looking at how often the males feed the young vs. the females, and the prey items each one brings to the nest.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Clueless_girl

Well recovering from gallbladder removal was a lot like recovering from the modified duodenal switch surgery, twice in 4 months yay 🥳😭. I'm having to battle cravings for everything i shouldn't have, on top of trying to figure out what happens after i eat something. Sigh, let me fast forward a couple of months when everyday isn't a constant battle and i can function like a normal person again! 😞
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
    • Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches