Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery with disabilities

I am just joining but I had a gastric bypass in 2008. I weighed 342 on the day of my surgery and now weigh 198. I know that is success but I would like to weigh 145. I have a large amount of loose skin everywhere and it is ugly. I am severely disabled and my exercise regime is very limited. I have trigeminal neuralgia, arthritis in all joints except elbows and several auto-immune diseases. I am bound to a wheelchair and live in constant pain for which I am heavily medicated. Don't get me wrong ! I don't ever feel sorry for myself. I have a great family and the best husband in the world. I am so full of love for them I could explode.

I developed a large blood clot in my knee right after the surgery so I deal with that daily and esophageal motility disorder that is making swallowing hard. Surgery will be soon. I know this is not uncommon and I have the best doctors possible. The problem I have had is holding down lean Protein and Constipation from my medications. I use meds for it but Fiber bars really help and softer foods help the swallowing problem. I can't do Water aerobics for several reasons so exercise is limited. I just want to lose enough to feel better about myself. I'm probably asking for too much but it would be so nice. I can only drink 1 liter of fluids a day because the surgery left me susceptible to hyponatremia. The list just goes on.

I really am a very happy women and the 57 years of my life are getting better everyday. Even if I'm crying in pain I can look at my husband and thank God for my life. Kind of a wacko I guess. I'm happy to have found this group and have the anonymity to share my story and read the stories of the others. Thank you if you've listened to me ramble on. I hope you are having great success and feeling wonderful. Have a great day!

dear one,

I want to reply as I am also severely limited...and much older than you...I will be 73 on april 29, 2014. and, drum roll please...I will have my gastric bypass april 15, 2014!!!!!!!! just about one and one half days left. we live out in the woods near Fairbanks, Alaska, and have driven 800 miles round trip to anchorage, Alaska, for my surgery. that means a rental car and two weeks in a motel, minimum.

I am almost totally bedbound and rarely leave the house. my hope, and for sure prayer, is that this surgery will eliminate hi blood pressure, diabetes, and 110 pounds. I also have fibromyalgia, low thyroid, scoliosis, sciatica on both sides, arthritis, and just found out a portion of my spine has spontaneously fused and I have cysts all up and down my spine. I was also informed a year ago, after believing for 12 years that I had it, that I do not have ms. the neurologist, however, cannot figure out why I have scars on my brain, my brain has atrophied more than my age warrants, why I have excess spinal Fluid around my brain, and dark holes in the brain tissue. I have now done my own research and found all of the above brain issues, except for the scarring, are attributable to low Vitamin B12. I'm now taking that. Scarring may yet prove to be ms.

I am also hoping the surgery and weight loss will give me back my ability to walk. either better with my walker or without it at all.

excuse my nonuse of capital letters. I am on my side in bed, typing with one finger. when I am able, I am at my desk where I write in a more formal manner...four fingers and two thumbs. I am currently in the process of writing a children's book and also writing my autobiography. I am hoping to finish both books in the next three months or so.

I will finish now as I must rest...not sure if I will sleep. my sweet husband will wake me at 8 a m for my final pre op Breakfast, then final trip to the doctor's office, bowel cleanse tomorrow afternoon/evening, then off to surgery on the 15th.

be encouraged...we will both improve!!!

blessings,

Karen in the snowy woods of alaska

God Bless both of you. I thought I had it bad. I will pray for you both that all your goals will be met and your life will improve.

post op report...now 68 days out from surgery and I have had a complete miracle! surgery was scheduled to do gastric bypass and gall bladder removal if needed. was all set for those but when dr got inside with da vinci robot...wow! dr found small intestine looped round and round my stomach!!! I had what is called a Petersen defect! I ended up with an almost six hour surgery which has changed my life. I am now able to walk all over the house without a cane or a walker and do some housework and cooking! I am at the point of moving from my hospital bed in the living room back to our bedroom where I will be able to sleep with my husband for the first time all night in almost five years!! other health issues continue my need for the living room bed where I will continue to rest my back during the day. I am praising God for my renewed life. had a great surgeon who has a large picture in his office showing Jesus guiding a surgeon's hands as he operates. going to be taking a three week trip with friends in an rv next month...through Canada to Seattle and back...about 4000 miles. I am a slow loser but still happy with loss...40 + since pre op...going to remodel cloths as I go along. about six months before surg, I bought over $3000.00 worth of cloths for about $2000.00 by shopping catalog sales. I have always lived with maybe three outfits and so just plain splurged. have always had to wear clothes that were to large because of pain in my body so all these clothes are HUGE on me now. what fun. if anyone wants to communicate e-mail is kmre2291@yahoo.com.

blessings, Karen

post op report...now 68 days out from surgery and I have had a complete miracle! surgery was scheduled to do gastric bypass and gall bladder removal if needed. was all set for those but when dr got inside with da vinci robot...wow! dr found small intestine looped round and round my stomach!!! I had what is called a Petersen defect! I ended up with an almost six hour surgery which has changed my life. I am now able to walk all over the house without a cane or a walker and do some housework and cooking! I am at the point of moving from my hospital bed in the living room back to our bedroom where I will be able to sleep with my husband for the first time all night in almost five years!! other health issues continue my need for the living room bed where I will continue to rest my back during the day. I am praising God for my renewed life. had a great surgeon who has a large picture in his office showing Jesus guiding a surgeon's hands as he operates. going to be taking a three week trip with friends in an rv next month...through Canada to Seattle and back...about 4000 miles. I am a slow loser but still happy with loss...40 + since pre op...going to remodel cloths as I go along. about six months before surg, I bought over $3000.00 worth of cloths for about $2000.00 by shopping catalog sales. I have always lived with maybe three outfits and so just plain splurged. have always had to wear clothes that were to large because of pain in my body so all these clothes are HUGE on me now. what fun. if anyone wants to communicate e-mail is kmre2291@yahoo.com.

blessings, Karen

Wow you have improved so much. God bless you.

@@Lam my

@@kmre

Hello! My heart and prayers go out to both of you, thanks so much for posting! I too am a disabled person (pre op) and boy some days are quite difficult. I trying to put together my own little support group yet so many of those on here are much younger (I am a 57 y.o. female). I see that some exchange numbers and if you would like to do that I am willing. Write me if interested, if not lets just try to keep in contact through this site.

Take Care & Be Well

would love to communicate. best for me is by e-mail.

mine is kmre2291@yahoo.com

I have just broken a stall. I am 4.5 months post op. I only lost 2 pounds...whole month of august, 2014.... I accept slow loss...should be my name...due to inability to walk enough to exercise. I broke the stall by adding more than a tablespoon of coconut oil per day since aug. 29th. thus, I have lost a tick under five pounds since sept 1st.

blessings,

Karen in the woods of alaska putting extra blankets on the bed as winter begins in earnest.

Prayers of strength n healing for all

I'm sorry that you're in the same situation. I'm having seizures and in constant pain due to trigeminal neuralgia , raw and several autoimmune diseases. Being in a wheelchair is limiting. My weight loss has stopped and sometimes gone up. I need to lose. About 40 more pounds. It's depressing after all the problems during the surgery. No hope for change so I'm learning to live with it. I hope others are doing well.