Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where/How/When did you get your motivation?

I've been reading for months about the WL surgery. I am definitely ready for the surgery itself. No fears. I'm working on the mental component. I've been reading on this forum a lot and I have a question for those of you finding success in the sleeve.

How/Where/When did you get the motivation to lose the weight after the surgery? I know that some weight loss is certain, due to the smaller pouch but what drove you to get the motivation to finally stop eating the bad food, to start drinking more Water, to exercise?

Frankly, if I had motivation, I wouldn't be at the size I am right now. I fear that I am going to fail at yet another attempt (albeit a drastic attempt) to lose weight by the lack of motivation or at the very least at falling back into the bad habits afterwards.

What changed for you to make you successful in your weight loss?

I seriously cannot fail at this last attempt. I'm a single mom of a 7 year old and she is definitely being cheated out of a great life because of my food addictions and obesity. I just want to be sure that I'm doing everything I can to succeed. Motivation has always been my worst problem.

thanks.

Edited by aNewTanya

I'm with you Tanya....researched it, ready for it but still have that "fear of failure" in the back of my mind. For me I think talking with a therapist a bit about why I've been eating/turning to food consciously or otherwise and then addressing those issues is helping. Also, the idea lurking in my mind that somehow this won't work for me because at some level I don't think I deserve it. Not sure where all that comes from. FUnny thing is.....I'm a therapist lol! All I know is that I will take it one day, one minute and one step at a time and trust the process.

I can't speak for anyone else, and it is early days for me as I am only 4 months out but each day brings new changes that shore up the changes I have already made and inspire me to continue to try and make better choices/decisions when it comes to my health. I too have a fear of this surgery not working but I have to say that it is lessening as I realize how far I have come. In the past by the time I had hit the 4 month mark in any other "diet" or "lifestyle change" I had only lost maybe 10 or 12 pounds. Having lost almost 50 pounds in that same amount of time has also really shored up my confidence. Last but not least I feel more in control of my cravings because #1 I really want this to work, #2 the surgery itself has caused me to look at food as fuel not just fun or as a tool to soothe emotions, #3 when I do feel tempted to indulge I am able to have just a small bite to be satisfied knowing that if I eat a large portion I will pay a price that I am not willing to pay and lastly I just feel so good - healthy, happy and much more confident with 48 pounds off of me and clothes getting looser everyday. I hope this isn't too rambling - putting these thoughts out there is hard as I am not good at sharing feelings, one of the reasons food had been my friend for so many years :)

As a former professional dieter, I can understand where you are coming from. Pre-sleeve, I would diet, lose and eventually tire of the diet and lapse. I grew tired of traditional dieting, tired of frozen diet foods and tired of being hungry.

With the sleeve, a big motivator initially is fear of doing something that could cause serious injury to me. So I stuck to the program to the letter. This time, I felt and still feel that I finally have the restriction that keeps me from over indulging. The choices are mine, and I have to manage what I put into my body. It's just easier this time.

The surgery is one aspect. We need to be prepared to make the life long changes for success.

The sleeve won't fail me, only I can do that. I am ultimately responsible.

The biggest difference this time is I don't have the feeling that I am depriving myself constantly. I chose the sleeve because I wanted to be able to have some of my favorites and be satisfied after a few bites. Overall I want a healthier lifestyle, I was ready to embrace the changes I needed to make, and armed myself with a tool that would give me just a little help.

Like you, I see this as a tool that will help me with the motivation I was not able to conjure up on my own for any lasting period of time. Well said Jersey Girl!

Thank you to those of you who took time to reply. Much appreciated.

If your not motivated before the op then it will take you a long time if at all honestly.
Its something you have to make up your mind to do as there really are ways and means around sabotaging the sleeve.
Its not a magic pill it wont stop you eating “bad” food it wont change your mindset on what you put in it.
To fail at using your sleeve simply is very easy you just keep eating junk and fast food and a lot of food or food all day long or do crazy stuff like blend up junk food so it’s a shake (for real I know 2 people who did that)
It’s a tool part of a process its not a magic fix like all tools if you misuse it, it wont work or at least not accurately.
You will lose some weight sure but you only get out of it what you put in to it and that’s effort and thought.

If your not motivated before the op then it will take you a long time if at all honestly.

Its something you have to make up your mind to do as there really are ways and means around sabotaging the sleeve.

Its not a magic pill it wont stop you eating “bad” food it wont change your mindset on what you put in it.

To fail at using your sleeve simply is very easy you just keep eating junk and fast food and a lot of food or food all day long or do crazy stuff like blend up junk food so it’s a shake (for real I know 2 people who did that)

It’s a tool part of a process its not a magic fix like all tools if you misuse it, it wont work or at least not accurately.

You will lose some weight sure but you only get out of it what you put in to it and that’s effort and thought.

Yes, certainly. I am aware of all of this. My question was focused more on those experiences on how to get the motivation, where it comes from, when it came, etc. I realize the consequences to not having motivation and how to sabotage.

I've been reading for months about the WL surgery. I am definitely ready for the surgery itself. No fears. I'm working on the mental component. I've been reading on this forum a lot and I have a question for those of you finding success in the sleeve.

How/Where/When did you get the motivation to lose the weight after the surgery? I know that some weight loss is certain, due to the smaller pouch but what drove you to get the motivation to finally stop eating the bad food, to start drinking more Water, to exercise?

Frankly, if I had motivation, I wouldn't be at the size I am right now. I fear that I am going to fail at yet another attempt (albeit a drastic attempt) to lose weight by the lack of motivation or at the very least at falling back into the bad habits afterwards.

What changed for you to make you successful in your weight loss?

I seriously cannot fail at this last attempt. I'm a single mom of a 7 year old and she is definitely being cheated out of a great life because of my food addictions and obesity. I just want to be sure that I'm doing everything I can to succeed. Motivation has always been my worst problem.

thanks.

I so understand your thread. I too thought the same prior to getting sleeved. I had read and also spoke to others that said what motivated them was actually the weight that comes off in the beginning quite quick. For me this was really true. I lost about 5 prior to surgery and then bam 25 pounds at 4 weeks and then it was 40 in a small amount of time. This motivated me to get into the gym and keep the momentum. Not everyone looses a lot in the beginning bot I started at 278. Then before you know it you feeling great eating small amounts and working out. Now 7.5 months out and I am 170. The motivation has to come from you but it does help in the beginning to get a jump start. Now at 7.5 I loose about 1 pound a week. I am fine with that. I feel great.

My motivation was:Evelyn, Aiden, Jolynn and Brady Ann...their parents Chris and Geri, Sarah and Adam. My kids grandparents didn't live to see them grow up, graduate high school and get married so I am making sure I get that opportunity. Bad habits are pushed aside and it's a new start, new adventure. A bit mushy and I apologize but I am happier and healthier every day and it only will get better.