Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cost of fills...

There has been some discussion lately about being able to afford fills, if your insurance doesn't have bariatric coverage, so I thought I would post my costs.

I was self pay, and the procedure came with 12 months of fills. After 12 months, my Dr. charges 75.00 a visit, or 300.00 for unlimited fills/unfills throughout the year. These are non fluoroscope fils.

Personally I find this a very reasonable rate.

I am self pay too but after my first year it will be $250 per fill - done under fluoroscope. Hoping to be in the green zone before that happens!

I am self pay too but after my first year it will be $250 per fill - done under fluoroscope. Hoping to be in the green zone before that happens!

If they are doing it under the fluoroscope, 250.00 sounds good and you shouldn't need too many of those.

80% of mine is covered by insurance. I have a $20 copay each time I go in for a fill, so that would put my fill cost at $100. And, that fill is done by my surgeon, not a PA or nurse.

I think that's very reasonable.

I asked what self pay fills would cost, should I lose bariatric coverage. My doctor charges $250, but those aren't under fluoro. Reading all above, now I'm annoyed. Already being in the green, I don't suspect I'll need as many fills ongoing, as I've had this year. But even still, based on what I'm reading here, $250/fill without fluoro sounds a bit steep.

Edited by mrsto

I asked what self pay fills would cost, should I lose bariatric coverage. My doctor charges $250, but those aren't under fluoro. Reading all above, now I'm annoyed. Already being in the green, I don't suspect I'll need as many fills ongoing, as I've had this year. But even still, based on what I'm reading here, $250/fill without fluoro sounds a bit steep.

That does sound steep, I agree.

I wonder if you could negotiate with him should the need arise.

Nope, doesn't sound a bit steep at all, sounds really steep. I wouldn't hesitate to spend 250 on a fill with fluoroscope, but anything else than that is a real hit and miss scenario and should be considerably cheaper IMHO. Shop the other Dr.s in the area, and then talk to yours. I have found them willing to deal.

This is great info. I'm out of my "included in surgery" fills and will start with a new deductible next year. Until my deductible is met, my doc charges $200 for Water test fills and the visit. Seems like I've got some negotiating to do.

my doc charges $200 for Water test fills and the visit. Seems like I've got some negotiating to do.

What are Water test fills?

Excellent topic Terry!

I'm thinking your prices are pretty cheap! Although in reality, there isn't anything much to a fill.

I have Aetna insurance through my employer.

Years ago, when mine were done without fluoro, my surgeon billed the insurance $250 for a office visit/nut time/adjustment. A blind or "Water test" fill. ( If you can drink the Water, your not too tight.......lol. )

Now, If I get an adjustment, my insurance gets billed $700, the negotiated rate is $364.03. They pay $291.23, and I pay $72.80 ( after meeting my yearly insurance deductible I've got an 80/20 plan )

If no adjustment but just view under fluoro, the bill is $275, negotiated rate is $170.71 split 80/20.

Both of these include the normal office visit with the SURGEON and prob 10 min with a NUT. I go more often than I really need to now...I enjoy going my appts now. Everyones always smiling there!

Edited by catfish87

i have no clue what i will be paying. i had surgery 5/29/13 and i have yet to recieve a bill from the hospital or doctor. i did pay the anthesiologist 104.00 dollars. my share. i need to call but am afraid to. lol. i had 2 insurances so am hoping it was all covered, yeah right!!!!! i am going to put my head back in the ground if anyone needs me.

My surgery included lifetime fills at no charge. I guess I won't bitch about it? :P

80% of mine is covered by insurance. I have a $20 copay each time I go in for a fill, so that would put my fill cost at $100. And, that fill is done by my surgeon, not a PA or nurse.

I think that's very reasonable.

I'm going to email the insurance person to make sure I heard it right. After this thread, my blood is starting to boil. She said that they work with cash patients to do their best on charges, but $250 for a non fluoro fill doesn't sound anything like working WITH the patient.

My surgery included lifetime fills at no charge. I guess I won't b***h about it? :)

Wowwwww - that's great! My doctor charged an additional non insurance covered $1,500, to cover the first year of after care. I thought that meant fills, but came to find out that it's only the support groups, etc. Well, that was a total waste of $1,500, because I went to one support group, and never went back. I've been paying for all of my office visits post-op. Now…..I'm extra super annoyed!!!! :angry:

Edited by mrsto

print this page so you can refer to it and show your doctor. don't even bother the receptionists talk to your doctor