Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question for the 21st Century

Question for the 21st Century:

Why is it that we mock, belittle and underestimate our terrorist adversaries because “they wear sheets”, while at the same time we accept every word of Jesus and his Disciples as Gospel, despite the fact that they also wore sheets?

Since no one wants to tackle this rhetorical question, I will post a few of the replies I got from e-mailing it to the people in my address book.

#1. Yes,that is an interesting question. We have been brainwashed since childhood undoubtedly in the Christian way, and to see the others as infidels, evil ones. It is a terrible shame. I for one have tried over time to not do this. Possibly my father's distant relatives came from North Africa, or Tunisia and way back were Semites. Now,that includes Arabic and Hebraic people. Recently, I saw a very old photo of my dad, and you could really see a distant Arabic culture. Perhaps this is very strong in my genes,and that may be why I have not been driven to dislike others in "sheets", as I am sure you do not feel this way. Clearly, I do not believe that any culture anywhere which represses its citizenry, particularly its women is doing anything good for posterity. But, at this point, people might see this in some Arabic (or sheet,cultures) and decide to hate them for that. Our Western culture does many things that are not humane or correct so should we hate ourselves for that? Humans typically seem to dislike what they do not know, as with different foods, until they become educated about the unknown, and then perhaps there is some hope for understanding, and more than tolerance of differences, but acceptance.

I replied: Thank you for an intelligent response. We seem to be in agreement on many of the ideas that you mentioned.

Here, on the other hand is a sample of the other responses that I received:

Hell TOM, that's easy, we are stupid.

Good Question, Why? I guess it's because Jesus didn't have anything to do with 911.

If that's not the answer then I must be Ignorant or uninformed or both!!

I have never mocked, belittled, or underestimated our terrorist enemies. On the contrary, I recognize them as intelligent, cunning, and well organized, as they commit murder in the name of their "God" and "Religion." This is why I advocate their total and complete extermination.

P.S. they're towels TOM, not sheets.

I finished my reply to the first e-mailer with this:

You will have to admit that the last one is troubling, at best, and scary at worst. The worst part is that the person that wrote it is intelligent and articulate, and has fought me tooth and nail on many issues. His arguments are difficult to refute. Difficult, because he lacks compassion and a sense of equality as human beings, so there is no humanity to appeal to, just the cold idea that we are superior to them and like vermin, we have a right (and maybe an obligation) to destroy them.

Notice how he emphasizes their God and Religion.

His (Christian) Religion obviously did not teach him that we are all God's children; his God's children and their God's children. His lack of understanding of his own religion allows him to not realize nor care that it is the terrorists' lack of understanding of their religion which perpetuates the hatred and the continual warring between the Eastern and Western civilizations. Civilizations; now that is an oxymoron.

The KKK also wears sheets. What people wear has nothing to do with their behavior. Scottish men wear "skirts", women wear skirts - that doesn't mean that Scotsmen are effeminate.

I have heard middle-eastern men referred to as "towel heads". Their headcoverings are less offensive to me than those God-awful, dirty, grimy, gimme caps you see all over the rural South.

I have heard Asians called "rice eaters", Mexicans "beaners", Germans "krauts", etc. Japanese made cars were once known as "rice burners", until they proved themselves to be more reliable than their US counterparts.

Americans are particularly quick to define people by their ethnic traditions. The richest, most powerful nation in the world and the best we can come up with is "rag head"? How sad is that?

Americans are particularly quick to define people by their ethnic traditions. The richest, most powerful nation in the world and the best we can come up with is "rag head"? How sad is that?
Very Sad!!

I have never mocked, belittled, or underestimated our terrorist enemies. On the contrary, I recognize them as intelligent, cunning, and well organized, as they commit murder in the name of their "God" and "Religion." This is why I advocate their total and complete extermination.

P.S. they're towels TOM, not sheets.

That's scary. I think the type of person that wrote that is probably very dangerous. His words are obviously hate-filled, but he states them with such certainty that he could be very persuasive. He makes me think of the neo-Nazi leaders and other hate organization leaders. I am a firm believer in free speech, but words like his make me wonder if hate speech should be protected.

For me, it's not a question of what a person wears. Rather, it's how that person defines his/her life. Burning flags, bombing schools, suicide missions, vowing death to others who don't hold similar views, etc., are all wrong... whether you're naked, wearing a sheet, wearing a suit, etc. I think your question is really one of extremes. Most people live somewhere inbetween.

Burning flags, bombing schools, suicide missions, vowing death to others who don't hold similar views, etc., are all wrong... whether you're naked, wearing a sheet, wearing a suit, etc.
I agree with most of that, except for burning flags. Burning a flag doesn't hurt anyone and it shouldn't be considered to be on the same level as bombing a school or suicide missions. A flag is an instrument of war. They were originally used so that soldiers or sailors could see where the people on their side were.

I agree with most of that, except for burning flags. Burning a flag doesn't hurt anyone and it shouldn't be considered to be on the same level as bombing a school or suicide missions. A flag is an instrument of war. They were originally used so that soldiers or sailors could see where the people on their side were.
And that is why I do not salute the flag nor pledge allegiance to the flag. I will, however at any time, pledge my allegiance to the constitution of the United States of America, and I have.

For me, it's not a question of what a person wears. Rather, it's how that person defines his/her life. Burning flags, bombing schools, suicide missions, vowing death to others who don't hold similar views, etc., are all wrong... whether you're naked, wearing a sheet, wearing a suit, etc.
And no matter which country they come from or which God they claim to worship?

This country was founded on freedoms and is likely more of a "melting pot" today than it was even 50 years ago. I respect peoples' rights to worship whatever religion they desire to and don't discriminate against any country. I have only lived in THIS country and would not profess to know what life is like in other countries. As for the American flag, I am proud to fly it and pledge my allegience to it because I believe in the pledge.

This country was founded on freedoms and is likely more of a "melting pot" today than it was even 50 years ago. I respect peoples' rights to worship whatever religion they desire to and don't discriminate against any country. I have only lived in THIS country and would not profess to know what life is like in other countries. As for the American flag, I am proud to fly it and pledge my allegience to it because I believe in the pledge.

You missed the intent of my question.

You said, "For me, it's not a question of what a person wears. Rather, it's how that person defines his/her life. Burning flags, bombing schools, suicide missions, vowing death to others who don't hold similar views, etc., are all wrong... whether you're naked, wearing a sheet, wearing a suit, etc."

And I asked, "And no matter which country they come from or which God they claim to worship?"

Meaning does that go for US soldiers who are 80% Christian who bomb schools, hospitals and homes in Iraq and vow death to the insurgents who don't hold similar views as they do (for instance that the US soldier has no business being in Iraq)?

And does that "etc." cover US Military Uniforms?

This country was founded on freedom for white male property owners. When the founding fathers originally said "all men are created equal", they meant "men" and many of the laws passed only gave rights to white men who owned property. Slaves were only counted for states to have more representation in the House of Representatives.

This country was not founded on freedom, but the (hated) Liberals have pushed it to a point of freedom, while conservatives have fought tooth and nail to go back to the good old days. In the last 6 years, the BuSh administration has tried to reverse all of the increases of freedom and to bring us back to the good old days when rich people only were free.

I am certainly not a President Bush lover but you seem to give him quite a lot of power. It's amazing to me that he and his administration have managed to "reverse all of the increases of freedom" in just "six years." While America is in no way perfect, I don't choose to dwell on the negatives. Sometimes, you have allow yourself to experience the beauty and good also. Have a nice day. I would wish you a Happy St. Patrick's Day but I think you might find that offensive.

I am certainly not a President Bush lover but you seem to give him quite a lot of power. It's amazing to me that he and his administration have managed to "reverse all of the increases of freedom" in just "six years." While America is in no way perfect, I don't choose to dwell on the negatives. Sometimes, you have allow yourself to experience the beauty and good also. Have a nice day. I would wish you a Happy St. Patrick's Day but I think you might find that offensive.
I didn't say that "they have managed to reverse all the increases in freedom", I said "tried to reverse all of the increases of freedom". Big difference.

I can not fix the positive things about the USA, so of course I dwell on fixing what I think needs to be fixed; the negatives.

I have not given BuSh a lot of power, the events of 911 scared congress into becoming a rubber-stamp for BuSh and he usurped the power.

By the way, I will wish you a "Happy Saint Patrick's Day", though I am not Irish and my wife is English (but born a Roman Catholic), and I will inform you that I would never refuse a friendly greeting such as "Happy Saint Patrick's Day" when done with good intend. I would also like you to know that last year, my wife, Tina and I marched in the "Saint Patrick's Day" parade. This year, Tina is in Brooklyn visiting her mother and I have a damaged cartilage in my knee which prohibits me from walking the long parade route.