Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone Have Calf And Ankle Lipo?

I know lots of folks do tummy tucks or boob jobs, but if there is one thing I want more than any other it's shapely legs. I have had cankles for as long as I can remember, my ankles are almost as thick as my knees. I am no where ready for it now, still have 60lbs to lose but I am really thinking about it. I feel like Spanx or other compression garments can help with other trouble spots but I have never found a solution for my tree trunk legs.

I also have some ropey veins and spider veins to add to the ugliness.

If you have spider veins and varicose veins, plus swollen ankles and calves, I would first have yourself checked for veinous reflux disease. It's common among over weight people and is caused when the valves don't close properly allowing blood to pool in the lower leg.

If you do, insurance will pay to have the veins taken care of, which might also significantly decrease your ankle and calf size, too. I am having vein ablation and removal this January for veinous reflux disease.

Just a thought!

Thanks,

I did have an initial review with a vascular surgeon who didn't think at the time (about 6 months ago) my veins would be covered b/c they are a combination, only one ropey one would be considered for insurance. :(

He did comment I didn't seem to have any swelling or edema, he was surprised, at first glance he thought I was swollen but after doing the thumb test and a few others he agreed it's fat not water!

Do you do toe lifts (standing on the balls of your feet) or run? I used to have amazing calves from spending hours on the balls if my feet during fighter practice now that I'm older I've noticed my calves seem to be shaping up again when I can run consistently nothing major just a few minutes a day.

the fat isn't really around the calf muscle, it;s below it, really at the ankle, so while my muscle is shapely, it sits above a sold block of fat on the lower part of the leg :(

My trainer and I tried some exercises but since it;s mostly bone and tendons in that part of hte leg he can;t come up with any exercises to target that area.

I feel for ya. Some women in my family have cankles. And there isn't an exercise and its not really even fat. My sister weighs 120ish and has them. Surgery might be your only option but I bet it would be considered elective.

I feel for ya. Some women in my family have cankles. And there isn't an exercise and its not really even fat. My sister weighs 120ish and has them. Surgery might be your only option but I bet it would be considered elective.

Sometimes this is genetic like the shape of feet. If it's not veinous they should thin down a lot when the weight is gone but you may never have skinny ankles. Walking running elliptical etc. burn it off.

Yes I do the arc trainer, elliptical and stair climber 4x a week. They are genetic for sure, my great grandmother used to say our short thick legs were ideal for working in the fields as were our short stumpy fingers! If only I was a farm hand!

I spoke to my surgeon about calf Lipo and he really wasn't happy to do it - He mentioned massive lymphoedema could be caused by this and it kinda scared me to death.

I have tree trunks for legs still - my body is very small now - bar my lower legs. I had an MRI and it IS fat causing it.

But I decided to not do anythign about it as the pitfalls could wreck the me I now know as me. To have lost over 120lbs and then wreck everythign I fear it would emotionally cripple me. So I decidd to err on the side of caution and live with fat horrid legs :-(

and yes - cankles

If only there was another way to get my legs to look nice - I would love that

Have you talked to someone at your local gym?

Have you talked to someone at your local gym?

No - I am disabled

But - I believe that perfection is maybe not something I shoudl have - I am amazed at the rest of me and my right leg did shrink by 1/4 inch recently so maybe that is the start of a change after so many years - Who knows. The rest of me is snall now - Maybe that bit just didn't wanna play the game

Out of 100 Plastic Surgeon's you may find one willing to do a lower leg Lipo due to the danger of lymphedema. I do know one lady who found a surgeon to do it for her...He is located in San Antonio.

I know it's been a while but I found out the cause, it's a condition called lipedema and no amount of exercise or diet will help :( There is a specific form of liposuction that fixes this, but currently only a handful of docs in the US perform it. In the meantime, I will keep working at the other body parts!

I am pretty sure I have Lipedema also.

Had tests for Lyphedema and it's not that - But I have a slim body now and tree trunks for legs. I am sad - But as long as it doesn't get worse then I am happy I guess (OK I am not happy but - I fear Lipo in this area as I really wouldn't wanna get Lymphedema, and my PS said he would never Lipo this area due to the possible complications from it)

So - I decided that I would hafta just live with the horrific legs.... I hate them but... Fear stops me from doing anything......

Check out Dr Peter Fisher in San Antonio, he is the only one who deals with the calves that I know of. He is a expert with previously obese patients. I have seen some of his work and it's incredible. He does a lot of long thigh lifts extending past the knees and I know he has done fine Lipo to the caves of a friend of mine.