Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know that most people can't tolerate breads after being banded. What about pita bread or the flat breads? Can stomachs handle that?

You guys are freaking me out about all these PB stories!!! I'm so afraid after I'm banded on Monday that I'm going to experience this! Is a PB an all out puke fest or is it more just spitting up????????

Sherri

I've been able to eat bread as long as it's toasted. I am also able to eat thin Pizza Crust with no problems. Don't worry, as long as you chew well and have the bread toasted it's gonna be okay. And your band won't be tightened until 6 weeks after surgery so prior to that bread shouldn't be a issue. I still have not attempted a bun or sub yet because I'm nervous. I've had 1 fill but really don't feel any restriction yet.

Thanks Sum! I really like bread and it's going to be a big adjustment for me. I'm already freaking about it and I'm not even banded yet! Not that we should be eating these but what about cakes or some sort of pastry, can those be tollerated?

I have some trouble with bread and also try to eat very little of it as it's not the best food for me - I can eat toasted bread better than white (hardly ever can get that down) - also crackers go ok - again I eat a small portion - maybe 2-4 crackers - melba toast and wasa and occassionally a slice of thin sliced pizza (no more huge doughy crusts that I used to LOVE).

When I eat a starchy carb (bread, rice, pasta) my rule is a USDA portion which is quite reasonable and small - i.e. one slice of bread; also rice is usually about 5tbls and Pasta is 1/2 cup or less.

You will have to experiment and go very slow and chew very well. What you may think is a small bite may still be too big so think the size of a pencil eraser (really) or a pea size bite.

I have been able to eat a piece of cake with no problem. I have not tried pastry yet because I don't care for it. However, I'm craving a bagel and am kinda scared to try one. I'll try it toasted and see how it goes. I've been able to eat anything from the get go, steak, salad, raw veggies, salads, etc. The only thing I tried that was kinda uncomfortable was a bisquit from KFC. I think it was to doughy and although I didn't puke or anything, I'm staying away from those!

On the BP - that was a worry for me, because I HATE to throw up. But for me at least, a PB is really more just like spitting up. It's not my idea of fun, but it's nowhere nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

Plain white bread or Buns are the devil!!! I dont even attempt it nor do I miss it. I can eat whole wheat if it is toasted, and can eat a slice or two of crispy thin crust pizza when it has a lot of vegetable toppings.

Hi,bread is a biggie!!! I personally can eat it. I have not attempted to just sit down and eat it alone. It seems risky!!! I can eat a sandwich if I keep the insided moist, and take small bites, chewing well. I can order a burger, but I usually remove the top bun. I have so little room to fill, I hate filling it with empty bread calories. I can do toast, with my Breakfast for instance. But if you think about it, I take a bite of it, along with eggs....so it works like a sandwich. pizza is the same way. I try to do thin crust, so that I get more toppings which are more Protein than the heavy dose of just bread in my little pouch. Corn tortillas are never an issue---I can do them in enchiladas, or in tortilla chips, tacos---doesn't matter, they are easy for me. Flour tortillas, are not so easy---if they are very thick, they get Gummy when moistened---say like a smothered burrito---it gets like dough which is hard for me. So I usually avoid them, it is just easier. I make breakfast burritos here at home, and I just make sure I buy the really thin flour tortillas, and I do ok.

Now my personal experience with the infamous PB!!!!!

It is not a true puke fest........as there is no stomach acids involved. It is just what you ate, along with HUGE amounts of "slime". Slime is thick, extremely gooey mucus, or saliva. When the body senses we are having trouble passing something, either by too big of a bite, or over eating, it tries to help. It helps by producing this slime---in order to slip it through. Well in theory it sounds good---in actuality---your pouch is already full, and your body is producing copious amounts of this---with nowhere for it to go. Spitting it is the best option I have found. If I walk, breath deep, and spit, I can usually avoid a full blown PB. If not.....it is forceful for me, similar to regular vomiting, but just food, and tons and tons of sticky slime. It is painful in the fact that when you are trying to avoid it, it is (food and slime) backing up into your esophagus, and it hurts....often referred to as a golf ball, because in a way it feels like you swallowed a golf ball that is stuck trying to go down.

Now if you picture it in your mind, your belly like a balloon with your fist wrapped around it, things will slowly pass through unless you are truly stuck, but it is a slow process. Now when you either finally get eased from the food slowly processing itself or by PB, your stomach has been stressed---as has the area squeezed by the band. So the recommendation is to go back to a day, or minimally several hours of liquids only, let the stomach rest, it is likely swollen. If it is swollen, and you attempt to eat food that must be digested, then you chance swelling tight enough to cause you yet another PB....and thus begins the evil cycle. So baby your body if you do PB. It is not a puke fest, but it is more that it sounds calling it a productive burp---PB. It is more than spitting up.

I am 11 months out, and have done this 2 times. Both at home thankfully. I have never been suddenly in PB trouble, mine were both my own old habits popping up, and not chewing well.

Small bites, lots of chewing, and no drinking with food, will lessen your liklihood of a PB. But I would predict sooner or later it will happen!

If you feel something is stuck---if you, like I did swallow too big of a piece of food, you can try helping it. Wait it out a few minutes, 30 or so---then you can try sipping pineapple juice, it is acidic enough it sometimes help break down food blockages. You can also buy papaya enzyme at the health food store (I bought mine at GNC), and it works really well doing the same I am told. It is in chewable tablet form. In worst case scenarios, I have heard of people having to drink liquid meat tenderizer. If these all fail---and you are still stuck and hurting, unable to drink---it is time to get thee to a Dr. for a quick unfill.

Learning to eat right is sooooo much easier!!! It is now habit. BUT just like 17 years later, a cigarette still sounds good sometimes, I forget my new rules....and hello slime!!!!

Don't let the fear stop you, just let it help you learn!!!

Y'all will do fine!!!

Kat

Bread is a real problem for me, ive given up on it all together , its just not worth the hassle for me, but we all react differently. Good luck with your op !

Liz xx