Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sunday Assembly

Wondered if anyone has had experience of this - <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://sundayassembly.com/about/.'>http://sundayassembly.com/about/.</a> Can't deny that tea and cake with like minded individuals and no preaching, misogyny or homophobia would be nice... But perhaps a bit like a Greens Party meeting or the local chapter of Amnesty International? It's just starting up where I live and I'm wondering whether to pop in - its a good way away from me.

Hopefully it won't hold its' meetings at an "ungodly" hour on Sunday mornings, and will still find a use for sacramental wine.

And I'm keen to see if it can handle a decent funeral - there's common sense to a big dramatic funeral IMO, very healthy.

I'm wondering if you ever went to this. Seems interesting. Nothing like this in my area. I'm not sure how I feel about it. Seems like taking god out of church.....which is ok with me but not sure of that will cure all that I think is wrong with church. Maybe it will....with the right people. I'd certainly be curious enough to try it.

What did you mean by your last line....about the big dramatic funeral being healthy? I kinda find them ....I dunno.....phony in a way. They seem more for the living than the dead. I told my wife to scatter my ashes to the wind while flying down the road on some bad ass chopper....that will be my funeral. Of course, she may have to get a biker boyfriend in order to make that happen....but I won't care. I'll be dead. :)

Have you thought of going to a Unitarian church, Susan? They accept all beliefs or non-beliefs and don't have any dogma. People get together and explore spirituality and logic and meditation and whatever interests them. They do a lot of social justice work and tend to be allied with minorities and LGBT, and do a lot for women's rights issues too. Sermons are often about humanist morality, social justice issues, and just being better human beings. I have heard it referred to as "atheists with kids". I went to a UU church when I considered myself an atheist but missed church, for several years. I loved it. I have since converted to Catholicism, but that's a different story. I still keep up with my UU friends.

Have you thought of going to a Unitarian church, Susan? They accept all beliefs or non-beliefs and don't have any dogma. People get together and explore spirituality and logic and meditation and whatever interests them. They do a lot of social justice work and tend to be allied with minorities and LGBT, and do a lot for women's rights issues too. Sermons are often about humanist morality, social justice issues, and just being better human beings. I have heard it referred to as "atheists with kids". I went to a UU church when I considered myself an atheist but missed church, for several years. I loved it. I have since converted to Catholicism, but that's a different story. I still keep up with my UU friends.

I'd love to hear that story. That sounds like some conversion.

I do have some friends that went from being strict catholic to going to a UU church and they love it.