Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Heya guys, fist poster here, so I hope I'm posting to the right place... Got a quick question for ya all...

I was banded Feb 27 of this year and have had no major issues whatsoever... A little pain around the port if you press around it, nothing worth commenting about, really... My question is, although my implant has not been filled, shouldn't I feel something.. I mean, anything? I can drink fluids normally, and don't seem to feel like there's a 'filling' anywhere.. Might have felt something when eating yogurt, but maybe not... My guess is I could take a pretty big gulp if I wanted to... Haven't tried to 'slam' a drink down to test it, I'd never do something that reckless, but my guess is I would likely be able to accomplish it...

I've lost about 5 pounds so far, but most of that is due to the liquid diet and the loss of appetite that comes with a liquid diet *blech*.

None of the docs in my area have any experience with the band, and the hospital I went to is so busy it takes a couple days to get anyone and most of the staff is I think more concerned with pushing their careers then answering questions, so here I sit in limbo waiting for someone to call me back while my mind draws up the worst scenereo possible..

If any of you folks can share your experiences with me and maybe give me a little advice, I'd be very greatful.. I really don't want to go under the knife again, but If the band slipped, I'd rather know now and be prepared for it then to worry about it while the local docs poo poo my concern and be disappointed later when I find out I should have asked questions / acted sooner. Thanks in advance for taking the time...

Sincerely, Brendan.

I could eat pretty good before my first fill. I THOUGHT when I ate a 9 or 10 oz frozen dinner and was full that I was getting the band feeling.

HA !!

After my first fill my "banding" started. I can only eat half of frozen dinner now now. My dog is happy. I have quit eating them . I used to be able to eat a container of yogurt too. Thats in the past too.

So now I'm eating whatever hubby eats. In our household there is just the 2 of us. So now I joke that I am cooking for one.

I guess I don't sound very encouraging but it is wonderful having that full feeling. food just isn't fun anymore. You know, it's that eat to live not live to eat thing.

edie:) :girl_hug: :cake: :)

I'm pre-op, but doc says "a properly fitted band does not resrict alone. Fill adds restriction in controlled incriments. And that many freshly banded patients are surprised that they can eat like usual-except for swelling, irritation, sensitivity, etc... can cause some "restriction" but, nothing like a fill". (AND BOY do I hope he knows what he's talking about ha ha ha I'm about to go under his kinfe.)

Hi

I was banded on the same day as you and yes I think what your saying is normal, like you I feel like I could gulp Water down as fast as I used to, not that I have tried, I can take my meds as normal, don't have to crush them, and am finding I can eat more each day, so don't worry too much as I feel the same way:biggrin1:

Magii

Thanks so much for all of your responses, it makes me feel a little better that I'm not the only one...

What a great forum!

I was banded 2/8. I have not been filled yet. I am able to gulp down Water with no problem. I can eat pretty much anything except rice. Just a lot smaller portion than I used to. I am waiting to get filled in a couple weeks. Would do it now, but got a two week business trip and don't want to be away from the doc if I end up too tight.

Ya, I feel right now, I can eat anything without a problem. So, you are not alone in that!

Brendan,

I think it's pretty normal. I was banded 2/15 and I don't feel any restriction at all. I can gulp down my Water and at times, feel as though I could eat a house. My first fill isn't until 3/26 but I am eating as though I have been filled.

My portion sizes are way smaller and I only eat chicken or turkey, salad, yogurt, cottage cheese, SF popsicles, Protein shakes, etc. I am using the time between my surgery and my first fill to practice new eating behaviors, controlling portion sizes, taking smaller bites and chewing, chewing, chewing.

It amazes me that I really can eat like a "normal sized" person and it's not killing me. I still battle my cravings but have not given in to them.

Good luck on your recovery and keep us posted on your progress.