Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone else noticed that when you drink warm Soup that you stay satiated longer, have less of an appetite, and stay full? It's brilliant, plus the best part is that you are barely taking in any calories; I recently made a soup from beef Bone Broth, a few ounces of shredded steak, cabbage, mushrooms, onions, carrots, and a tiny splash of V8. I was experimenting and made all of this in my electric kettle. A cup of this soup is maybe 30 calories! And it tastes better with every passing day, win!

Has anyone else noticed that when you drink warm Soup that you stay satiated longer' date=' have less of an appetite, and stay full? It's brilliant, plus the best part is that you are barely taking in any calories; I recently made a soup from beef bone broth, a few ounces of shredded steak, cabbage, mushrooms, onions, carrots, and a tiny splash of V8. I was experimenting and made all of this in my electric kettle. A cup of this soup is maybe 30 calories! And it tastes better with every passing day, win![/quote']

Yes! Our pre-op allowed us 3 cups of non-starchy veg soup a day. Big huge filling cups--with only 50 calories, plus it's good for you. I think it's a great win win. I just made some veg soup this weekend again to keep from exceeding my calories. So delicious and satisfying. Using Bone Broth significantly ups the nutritional content too. I don't use canned broths anymore. Making a good broth is easy as pie in a crockpot or pressure cooker.

Gamergirl, can I ask what vegetables you use in your Soup? And excuse my ignorance but is butternut considered starchy?

Has anyone else noticed that when you drink warm Soup that you stay satiated longer' date=' have less of an appetite, and stay full? It's brilliant, plus the best part is that you are barely taking in any calories; I recently made a soup from beef bone broth, a few ounces of shredded steak, cabbage, mushrooms, onions, carrots, and a tiny splash of V8. I was experimenting and made all of this in my electric kettle. A cup of this soup is maybe 30 calories! And it tastes better with every passing day, win![/quote']

Sounds delicious!! I need to get making some soup!

Gamergirl, can I ask what vegetables you use in your Soup? And excuse my ignorance but is butternut considered starchy?

Yes butternut would be starchy as would be potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, Water chestnuts and beets.

Some examples of nonstarchy veg are Onions, garlic, celery, leeks, carrots, tomatoes, zucchini, yellow squash, broccolli, green, red or yellow peppers, cauliflower, green Beans, mushrooms and all greens such as spinach, kale.

What I did was decide what "cuisine" I wanted today. If I wanted "mexican" I put taco seasoning and cilantro in my soup. If I wanted "Thai" cuisine, I used green curry paste and coconut milk. If I wanted "french" I used parsley, herbes de provence, and garlic. If I wanted "Indian" I used cilantro, garam masala and turmeric. If I wanted "italian" I used italian herbs, basil and tomato.That way, same soup but different taste :) I used chicken broth or beef broth for different tastes.

I also varied the vegetables but the aromatics such as onions, carrots, garlic, celery and maybe leeks are what lend the basic flavor to the stock so be sure to use a good complement of those.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I love your idea of choosing a 'theme' and using spices to produce the flavour. I've lost the food plot the last couple of days. This is going to be very helpful.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I love your idea of choosing a 'theme' and using spices to produce the flavour. I've lost the food plot the last couple of days. This is going to be very helpful.

I can SO relate! It took me two weeks of going over my self-imposed calorie limit because I was hungry to remember...doh! vegetables! you can eat those! Sounds stupid to think I forgot when I have eaten vegetables for years and enjoyed how they fill you up with so few calories.

I was all Protein, Protein protein. Sometimes I wonder about myself.... :)

A Soup celebration for all the lovely vegetables out there... And a toast (with a cup of soup) for helping us to feel full!!

So you inspired me to make a big pot of vegetable soup.. Here it is!!

post-66259-13838396881342_thumb.jpg

So you inspired me to make a big pot of vegetable soup.. Here it is!!

Oh that looks so good and warming as I freeze my toes off on my trip! What did you put in it?

The picture really doesn't do the Soup much justice... It's delicious... Made a HUGE pot. It's got 4 carrots, 1 leek, 1 courgette, 1 red pepper, 1 yellow pepper, half a bulb of fennel, 2 huge mushrooms, a baby cauliflower, 1 chilli, Tomato paste, balsamic vinegar and just spices!! It's super filling!! Didn't feel like any Protein tonight so I indulged in a bowl of the soup. Thank you again for the inspiration :)

So as you know I am deployed and have to get quite creative if I want to eat anything beyond the fried garbage at the difac. I have one of those electric Water kettles for tea, oddly enough they are difficult to find in the States but ubiquitous in Europe ... anyway, I don't like the sodium but using a half can of V-8 is brilliant because its basically vegetable stock in a Tomato broth. Once a week we get "steak", so I shred up the steak. That one time there were mushrooms in the salad bar and I loaded up but the kinds of veggies we get, except for cabbage, are not dependable. The bouillon I use is called "Better than Bouillon" and it is organic and real and awesome. I throw everything in my kettle and boil!

So as you know I am deployed and have to get quite creative if I want to eat anything beyond the fried garbage at the difac. I have one of those electric Water kettles for tea' date=' oddly enough they are difficult to find in the States but ubiquitous in Europe ... anyway, I don't like the sodium but using a half can of V-8 is brilliant because its basically vegetable stock in a Tomato broth. Once a week we get "steak", so I shred up the steak. That one time there were mushrooms in the salad bar and I loaded up but the kinds of veggies we get, except for cabbage, are not dependable. The bouillon I use is called "Better than Bouillon" and it is organic and real and awesome. I throw everything in my kettle and boil![/quote']

Wow, you definitely need to be creative. Looks like you're doing a super job coming up with your own 'super soup'!!