Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 week post ep

Hi all,

I had my band fitted one week ago monday 23 august. I have already shed 6 kilos, I am delighted, full of motivation and hope!

I am still on a pure liquid diet which isn't too bad. I actually made a fabulous Soup yesterday with cauliflower, parsnip and curry powder and is is very satisfing even though it is in liquid form. Apart from the soup I am exsiting on fruit smoothies with Protein Powder, yoghurts, jellly and custard. I must admitt I can not wait to move on to pureed foods next week. I can't wait to eat some mashed potatoe.........

I was so excited to hear that one of you is actually eating sausgaes and still losing weight - I made the assumption that sausages was well and trully off the menu forever!

Brit, Congratulations! You sound like you are being the perfect bandster, staying on liquids. That will surely help you heal well! That was the hardest part for me. But it is temporary. Once you are on solids, you probably will be able to eat about anything that you enjoyed prebanded, just in moderation. Be sure that your foods are moist. You probably will be able to eat sausages, just removeand don't eat the outer skin. I peel fresh peaches first and don't eat the skin. Soft breads may or may not give you a problem. You'll figure out what you and your band like and don't like pretty fast! But, please remember to take small bites and chew, chew, chew. Isn't it wonderful to feel healthier and just plain Better about everything!:D

Wow! I had my band put on the 23rd as well and I'm still living on gatorade, Jello and boullion Water. I'm jealous, I'm starving and I've only lost 2.5 lbs (like 1 kilo!) My doctor calls what you're on the pureed diet. I don't get to have those thing until Sept 6th. If your idea of liquids is my pureed then what is your pureed?

Hi Karen

Congratulations on being a bandster.

I am one of those who eats sausage almost every morning for Breakfast and I am still losing :D

For me nothing is off the menu forever (except carbonation)

However there are things I stay away from now like candy, chocolate bars ,Cookies, cakes, ice cream, junk food in general. I have had a few bites of a brownie and ice cream once in 4 months. Alot of the people here do not follow any special diet other then eating their Proteins first, veggies fruits then carbs. I believe in whatever works for the individual. If your losing weight, that should be all that matters, not how you are doing it. Thats just my opinion though. Best of Luck to you Karen :)

Hi all,

thanks you so much for your rapid responses. It is so great to have people to communicate with, it makes the journey all the more bearable.

Hi Shireen, in response to your question: I suppose my purees are not really purees, as I add lots of chicken stock and it really is like Water - but it has flavour. I also tried a great liquid yesterday, I took a tin of creamed corn, I strained it and added chicken stock then heated it up - yum.

I think my weight has shifted due to my early morning walks. I have been getting up with my husband at 6 am and we walk at a semi fast pace for an hour. It is a divine time of the mroning here in Sydney, the birds are churping, people are walking thier dogs and I live right near the harbour park, so once we reach the park we have the glorious view of the Anzac Bridge over the harbour and the city. I am down 6 kilos now, but have now made a mental commitment to myself not to look at the scales until Monday 6th sep.

Oh by the way does anyone dare to drink alcohol once they are on solids ?

'Normal' people have alcohol on occasion. As long as you understand the carbs and empty calories will impact your weight loss and you don't indulge too often, there shouldn't be a problem.

Also, it's good to know that alcohol would be considered a stomach irritant which could encourage erosion or gastritis if done too often.

I saw once in a while shouldn't be problem.

Originally posted by southerntoon

Dare i ask...what Jello is? is it an american thing - like our british jelly??

Yes. I do believe you call it jelly.

If Jello is called Jelly in England, dare I ask what American Jelly is called in England? I have always wanted to go to Europe and hope to someday. What an experience that would be... I have great big dreams about traveling the world. Ah, but no $$$ so sad... Teresa

Originally posted by hagerteresa

If Jello is called Jelly in England, dare I ask what American Jelly is called in England? I have always wanted to go to Europe and hope to someday. What an experience that would be... I have great big dreams about traveling the world. Ah, but no $$$ so sad... Teresa

I believe they call it jam. :)

On No! Now am truly confused - english Jelly is made with boiling Water and left in the fridge to "set" - we have it in trifle - but Jam is fruit boiled with sweetener usually and packed into jars and we spread it onto bread as sandwich normally.....and i will be avoiding bread post op...so maybe i dont lurrrrve Jello lol.

teresa - u cant have european jello (in Europe) AND a band lol, thats greedy;)