Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

newbie (pre-op) here!

Hi. I'm new here. At a doctor's appointment a couple of weeks ago I discussed my weight concern with my doctor. I had been working out regularly (usually 5 days a week; 3 days of cardio, 2 days weight training) and eating fairly healthy for about the last year and a half and lost 35lbs. However, the weight loss stopped about 6 months ago and has not restarted, in fact, my weight has started going back up. I'm 35y/o and have had it. My doctor suggested gastric plication. He's very excited about the results he's had in other patients. I do not meet the weight requirements (I'm under the limit by 45lbs for my height) but have a co-morbidity (sleep apnea) so my insurance is going to cover it 100%. I'm looking for information as to what to expect to lead up to the surgery, ie: I've heard there's a few therapy appointments you must attend, a pre op diet, etc. What does the diet consist of, what do they discuss with you at the therapist appointment, how much weight have others lost in the first few weeks, what's the recovery like, any complications? Basically everything I can find out about this procedure because I'm terrified to have the surgery. Any info will be appreciated.

Hi JCallie01, my daughter, who was 18 at the time, had Gastric Plication Dec.31/12 , and to date, has lost 75 lbs. with about 30 to go, but the weight loss has really slowed down, as of now. Having said that, she herself, has never really tryed to 'diet', its mainly been Portion Control for her. I think if she now wants to lose the remainder of her weight, she is going to have to diet and exercise.

We live in Canada, her surgery was done in Tjuanna Mexico, at the Obesity Control Center, by Dr.Ortiz. The surgery was not offered in Canada, also any weight loss surgery is WAY cheaper there. Our entire experience there, has been wonderful. No complaints.

There were no therapist appts scheduled, I assumed due to the distance. Her Pre Op diet, which she started 2 weeks before surgery, consisted of protien shakes, Lean Cuisine dinners under 300 calories, sugar free popsicles, and juices I believe. She managed to lose 17lbs before surgery, it was tough for her though.

Recovery went well, I'd say the first week was the toughest, but her biggest complain was how tired she was, I noticed it too. That lasted a month, but got better. She did have some pain, but mostly complained of acidity and gas. She still has trouble with acidity, and has a perscription for an ant acid which helps alot. Tums and so on wasnt enough for her.

To sum things up, plication has been wonderful for her... There were no complications....We just came back from a check up, July 5/13, as we wanted to follow up and be sure, seeing we live so far away...she had little pain, but was uncomfortable, and had to learn portion control. She was terrified as well, and had many questions too. I think thats normal.

I wish you luck, and hope this has been helpful!

Hi JCallie01' date=' my daughter, who was 18 at the time, had Gastric Plication Dec.31/12 , and to date, has lost 75 lbs. with about 30 to go, but the weight loss has really slowed down, as of now. Having said that, she herself, has never really tryed to 'diet', its mainly been Portion Control for her. I think if she now wants to lose the remainder of her weight, she is going to have to diet and exercise.

We live in Canada, her surgery was done in Tjuanna Mexico, at the Obesity Control Center, by Dr.Ortiz. The surgery was not offered in Canada, also any weight loss surgery is WAY cheaper there. Our entire experience there, has been wonderful. No complaints.

There were no therapist appts scheduled, I assumed due to the distance. Her Pre Op diet, which she started 2 weeks before surgery, consisted of protien shakes, Lean Cuisine dinners under 300 calories, sugar free popsicles, and juices I believe. She managed to lose 17lbs before surgery, it was tough for her though.

Recovery went well, I'd say the first week was the toughest, but her biggest complain was how tired she was, I noticed it too. That lasted a month, but got better. She did have some pain, but mostly complained of acidity and gas. She still has trouble with acidity, and has a perscription for an ant acid which helps alot. Tums and so on wasnt enough for her.

To sum things up, plication has been wonderful for her... There were no complications....We just came back from a check up, July 5/13, as we wanted to follow up and be sure, seeing we live so far away...she had little pain, but was uncomfortable, and had to learn portion control. She was terrified as well, and had many questions too. I think thats normal.

I wish you luck, and hope this has been helpful![/quote']

Lois did you go back to TJ for her check up?

Hi! The therapist appt is more like a evaluation. I don't believe it hinders your qualification but it is mandatory at least in the states. Up until the surgery it's nerve recking with the excitement and fear and the first week of surgery is the hardest. After the first week is over everything falls in place slowly. I agree with the comment above that you do feel weak. The lack of food made me tired but as I shed the weight I also started gaining the energy back.

Other then that I don't have any regrets and you'll also be fine. Please feel free to ask any questions

Yes, Bos123 my daughter and I traveled back to TJ, July 1/13, her appt was July 2. She was not really having trouble with anything, it was more for peace of mind. I just felt I needed them to tell me everything was good, which they did... She has had alot of acidity since surgery, and needs a prescribed ant acid daily, which was prescribed by a doc here, who knew nothing of the surgery. TJ assured me what was prescribed was fine. The doc here and there, said she may need it the first year... Having said that, she also needs to be aware of what foods to stay away from. It was also my idea to go back, she really did not want to, but we made a bit of a holiday of it and stayed in San Diego a few days.

Yes' date=' Bos123 my daughter and I traveled back to TJ, July 1/13, her appt was July 2. She was not really having trouble with anything, it was more for peace of mind. I just felt I needed them to tell me everything was good, which they did... She has had alot of acidity since surgery, and needs a prescribed ant acid daily, which was prescribed by a doc here, who knew nothing of the surgery. TJ assured me what was prescribed was fine. The doc here and there, said she may need it the first year... Having said that, she also needs to be aware of what foods to stay away from. It was also my idea to go back, she really did not want to, but we made a bit of a holiday of it and stayed in San Diego a few days.[/quote']

Did they do any other tests on her? They say they want me I come back for a one year check up but everything is going fine so I don't want to go down if its really just a check up . Did they do a barium test or anything to see if all was well? Glad she's doing good!

Yes Bos, they did what was called a Fluoroscopy, which I guess is like a barium test. Had to drink something and then they did an xray... Like I said, she didnt want to really go, felt fine, but it was I as her mother, felt if anything went wrong, I'd never forgive myself... So it put my mind at ease. They did also say its a good idea to come back in a year, at which time we feel we probably won't do, as long as shes feeling well.

Yes Bos' date=' they did what was called a Fluoroscopy, which I guess is like a barium test. Had to drink something and then they did an xray... Like I said, she didnt want to really go, felt fine, but it was I as her mother, felt if anything went wrong, I'd never forgive myself... So it put my mind at ease. They did also say its a good idea to come back in a year, at which time we feel we probably won't do, as long as shes feeling well.[/quote']

Oh I think it's fantastic you went. There are days that I think "is my restriction still there? Has it stretched?" Then other days I think "no it hasn't stretched". So that piece of mind would be nice. I am lad she's doing so good!

She is doing well, but the weight loss has slowed right down... dont think she's lost this month, which is fine... My concern is, I think now, she's going to have to be more careful with the choices she makes. Up until now, she really hasn't had to. Having said that, she really doesnt seem to have the sweet tooth she once had... some of the things she loved, she doesnt anymore.... she eats small amounts often, and I find it seems like alot of carbs... Like I said its worked for her up until now... I do wish she could exercise a bit and be a bit more aware of what she's eating... I think its just because she's much younger then most who have the surgery... which was one of the reasons I was hesitant about allowing her to have the surgery, wondering if she was mature enough to "get it", that the surgery was just a tool, that she had to do the work... it still concerns me. Dont get me wrong, I'm very happy for her, but I worry she will gain it back, because she seems to eat what she pleases... and not gain, so far...

Sigh I have the same worries Lois. I recognize I still can be an emotional eater and I've slipped up big time a time or two... But I keep going... Hopefully she does too... If I eat the wrong foods I can eat way more than I need too... I am 35 and believe that I will always be that same person who has to watch what she eats. I will never be one o those girls who can eat whatever and not gain... Sad but true;) I am way more active now than I was and I can say it helps with depression so if nothin else ill keep doing it for that reason;)

Yes, depression... my daughter has that as well... She has her days... thats why I have to be careful what I say... I want to be supportive, not critical, but I know at times, to her, I sound critical. Which I dont mean to, I want to be helpful. You hit the nail on the head, when you said being active helps with depression.... My daughter as well, will also have to watch what she eats. She always says, she doesnt want to be super skinny, just be healthy.... I totally agree with her. She does look so awesome right now, even though she has about 30 more pounds to go... I'm sure you do as well!!! :) Nice chatting with you Bos...

Also, JCallie, I hope our info and conversation has been helpful to you... this is a great site to voice your concerns, and make new friends! :)

Yes' date=' depression... my daughter has that as well... She has her days... thats why I have to be careful what I say... I want to be supportive, not critical, but I know at times, to her, I sound critical. Which I dont mean to, I want to be helpful. You hit the nail on the head, when you said being active helps with depression.... My daughter as well, will also have to watch what she eats. She always says, she doesnt want to be super skinny, just be healthy.... I totally agree with her. She does look so awesome right now, even though she has about 30 more pounds to go... I'm sure you do as well!!! :) Nice chatting with you Bos...[/quote']

Yes it was goo hearing from you too! Keep in touch, I live to hear how you guys are doing;)

Thank you all so much! This has been some great info! I'm sure I'll have many more questions but this has answered alot. Great to hear this seems to be successful with most people. I'm going for a re-evaluation now for the the sleep apnea because my previous results were from a study done over 10 years ago so they need more up to date info, but assuming that all goes well my doc says we can start looking at dates. Anyone have any suggestions for the best times of year/days of weeks to get the surgery? My husband is active duty military and we live about 1500 miles away from family so I'm trying to arrange my care taker needs, etc.