Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Left Upper Abdomen Pain

I am 4 weeks out today and I wake up almost every more with left upper stomach to side pain just under my rib cage?! It goes away within 1-2 hours. I cant tell if it is stomach cramping. I even thought maybe a kidney stone except the pain goes away. Any one else experience this?

I have had no real problems since my surgery.

Nope. I had a pain there early out and I attribute to being referred pain from elsewhere, but mine went away by the time I was about 4 weeks out.

I'd check with your doctor just ensure it's nothing major. KUP.

I am 4 weeks out today and I wake up almost every more with left upper stomach to side pain just under my rib cage?! It goes away within 1-2 hours. I cant tell if it is stomach cramping. I even thought maybe a kidney stone except the pain goes away. Any one else experience this?

I always have a funky pain on my left side but it's because that is where my port is located from my band. Not sure what you are experiencing but KUP.

I have similar pains and the simple answer is that gas causes my pain. The issue is two part-one, my stomach is smaller and gas enclosed in it is more painful than the average person because there is less space for it to expand. Secondly, I don't digest as well as the average person since I lost my gallbladder, which results in more gas. It is a vicious cycle. I notice that when I am good, I have no pain. I don't always have it when I am bad, but I can feel a little more pressure in that area when I am bad, and then sometimes it's full on pain. GasX doesn't do anything for me. Charcoal caps and lying on my left side are the only things that help me. I actually figured out what it was by accident during the whole gallbladder time. I never had the pain until July, then I experienced it for a few weeks and it didn't return until late August. I realize now that I was starting to have problems then digesting. When I was having the barium swallow they noted huge gas bubbles in my stomach and one day I rolled over on my left side and it caused me to burp a lot and then the pain subsided. Wow, I NEVER would have thought gas pains could feel like this.

That being said, your issue might not be gas. I worried for almost two months that I had a leak. The one good thing about the whole gallbaldder episode was that they looked at me from every angle, twice, and found no issue with my stomach. I would get checked out and at least that would give you peace of mind if everything is ok. I am a big hypocrite on that, because it took me months, but I've learned to be better safe than sorry! Good luck and keep us updated!

I always have a funky pain on my left side but it's because that is where my port is located from my band. Not sure what you are experiencing but KUP.

That's interesting. Sometimes I feel sorry for my body and all that I have put it through with the weight gain and surgery. :( We put ourselves through so much with our weight gain, and then even our tool to fix it makes us feel strange. :huh:

Not experienced a site specific pain before Mary. I had significant issues sleeping on my stomach in the first month or two after surgery, but that went away with time. Doubt it's the same thing. Mine was just a general sort of discomfort and feeling nauseous whenever I was on my stomach before falling asleep. Don't remember waking up with discomfort.

Hope you're well.

Not experienced a site specific pain before Mary. I had significant issues sleeping on my stomach in the first month or two after surgery, but that went away with time. Doubt it's the same thing. Mine was just a general sort of discomfort and feeling nauseous whenever I was on my stomach before falling asleep. Don't remember waking up with discomfort.

Hope you're well.

I am doing okay. Saturday the pain was so bad I took a pain pill. I try to stretch my side out, change positions etc. I can sleep on my side, back or stomach. I agree with Chow chow that it could be gas as it does come and go. Mainly it comes on slowly and sticks around. It seems worse the more active I am such as standing for long periods.

I may be eating too much. I am staying around 920 calories but the last two days I have ate 1000-1100.

I have been getting constipated so started back on miralx daily. I dont think it is Constipation because I was cleaned out by Saturday:). I have tried the meds for stomach cramping but it didnt work either.

I have not received any f/u calls but I havent called either. In either case I am still living and I didnt have pain today;)

Mine comes and goes. It is usually worse in the evenings, which is typical of gas. I can go a week without any issues, then it seems like I have problems for several days in a row.

I had the same problem and my doctor told me I pulled some stitches out of my muscle. He put some pain Patches on it and told me to take it easy. The pain in the rib cage was unbearable

TO: forensicmary

I have EXACTLY the same thing you are describing. It is my 5th day out from surgery. I was told originally the pain was from gas but after 72 hrs the gas should be gone, at least as far as from the surgery. I have been doing a lot of walking recently. When I came home from the surgery I carried my bags which may or may not have exceeded the 20 lb limit my doctor told me not to do, but I had no one to help me. I tried to keep the bags light.

Anyways, it is pain in the upper left of my stomach where most of the incisions are and it comes and goes. Sometimes it is more painful than others and sometimes it is mild. Carrying my bags it was super painful, so I stopped frequently and tried to drag my large bag. I'm worried I did something. I have not lost any weight in a couple of days since the leak test and I only have two meals a day of broth with a gatorade and some juice throughout the day including Water.

TO: forensicmary

I have EXACTLY the same thing you are describing. It is my 5th day out from surgery. I was told originally the pain was from gas but after 72 hrs the gas should be gone' date=' at least as far as from the surgery. I have been doing a lot of walking recently. When I came home from the surgery I carried my bags which may or may not have exceeded the 20 lb limit my doctor told me not to do, but I had no one to help me. I tried to keep the bags light.

Anyways, it is pain in the upper left of my stomach where most of the incisions are and it comes and goes. Sometimes it is more painful than others and sometimes it is mild. Carrying my bags it was super painful, so I stopped frequently and tried to drag my large bag. I'm worried I did something. I have not lost any weight in a couple of days since the leak test and I only have two meals a day of broth with a gatorade and some juice throughout the day including Water.[/quote']

Oh my, how are you doing today?

I had the same pain. It use to be disturbing but it will certainly get milder with each day. There is pain in the plicated stomach due to the sutures and until it heals it'll hurt periodically with every peristaltic motion of the gastric muscles. As for the incisions they'll take at least 10-12 days to get comfortable with, that too depending upon the speed of recovery of every individual. But in any case, we've all been through a major surgery and should not get purturbed and let our bodies heal at its own pace( of course keep taking medicines). Even I was scared most of the time, thinking if something was wrong with me, but time passes and say after 3-4 months probably you won't even remember if you had a surgery.:D

I had the same pain. It use to be disturbing but it will certainly get milder with each day. There is pain in the plicated stomach due to the sutures and until it heals it'll hurt periodically with every peristaltic motion of the gastric muscles. As for the incisions they'll take at least 10-12 days to get comfortable with' date=' that too depending upon the speed of recovery of every individual. But in any case, we've all been through a major surgery and should not get purturbed and let our bodies heal at its own pace( of course keep taking medicines). Even I was scared most of the time, thinking if something was wrong with me, but time passes and say after 3-4 months probably you won't even remember if you had a surgery.:D[/quote']

How many months are you now? How has your wl been? Any hind sites you can share? Successes or hard times? Thanks;)

Just an update I am little over a year out and still have occasional lt upper quadrant pain but it is not constant or predictable. I did go back to Dr. Watkins and did a barium swallow and all was fine.

He thinks it may have something to do with adhesions and the bowel becoming constipated.

Sorry for replying so late... I am almost 6 months out, stared at 214 lbs and have lost 40 lbs so far. My wl has slowed down since pat two months but still I m losing:)) I am very particular about my Protein intake and mostly avoid overeating which I have done on certain occasions and think my stomach has streatched a bit. I am a 'grain' person and feel incomplete without it so I switched to high protein multigrain chapaties and quinoa. So far I never had any nausea but lately have started losing lots of hair :'(