Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I would love to chew a piece of gum...Im 5 days out and feel like I am starving...would love to chew a piece of gum once in a while...Im not a child, I wont swallow it...does anyone know if this is a contraindication,,,I dont see anything on my paperwork...anyone else chewing gum...?

Not trying to be mean but the chewing causes saliva to be produced in which gets swallowed causing the pouch to fill. sugar free mints are a good substitue for something in the mouth but won't get rid of the, want to chew, sensation sorry used to love to chew gum so much that I bought the big tubs from sam's wholesale so I feel your pain and some reports (not sure how true) think that chewing gum can cause you to feel hungry. But this is just my opinion. Missed it so much had a nightmare that I was chewing a piece of gum and swallowed it and went into shock from knowing that it would not pass. crazy :huh:

Per my surgeon, the worry is obstruction if you do happen to accidentally swallow it....it could obstruct and have to be surgically removed. My doc says no gum ever....

HW 312, pre-op (RNY) 255, current weight 202.4

Not trying to be mean but the chewing causes saliva to be produced in which gets swallowed causing the pouch to fill. sugar free mints are a good substitue for something in the mouth but won't get rid of the, want to chew, sensation sorry used to love to chew gum so much that I bought the big tubs from sam's wholesale so I feel your pain and some reports (not sure how true) think that chewing gum can cause you to feel hungry. But this is just my opinion. Missed it so much had a nightmare that I was chewing a piece of gum and swallowed it and went into shock from knowing that it would not pass. crazy :huh:

LOL....hahaha you are hysterical!!...thanks for the laugh,...I did go ahead a chew cuz I buy the tubs from sams to...I chewed before you wrote, and you are right, I started to feel like my pouch was full, and realized i must be swallowing saliva!..but omg it was worth you response...I love gum too and it tasted oh sooooo gooood....but guess my guilty pleasure is over...groan...lol

thanks soccermomma...i had a feeling it was to good but thought i would ask anyway...lol

On my discharge paperwork, they had gum as a big no no. It has something to do with increasing stomach acid if I remember correctly, I'll check my stuff & if I'm wrong I'll let you know. Congratulations on the surgery hope your doing well. Peace, Mary

Thanks Mary, I figured it would no be an ok item but i tried! Yeah, let me know what they have for reasoning besides swallowing it..lol

On my discharge paperwork' date=' they had gum as a big no no. It has something to do with increasing stomach acid if I remember correctly, I'll check my stuff & if I'm wrong I'll let you know. Congratulations on the surgery hope your doing well. Peace, Mary[/quote']

Yeah they told me no gum because your body thinks you are going to eat and produces acid to prepare.

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk

wow..thanks jacqueline...really interesting, but soooo sad...wow :wacko:

I chew gum my surgeon said be very careful not to swallow it cause of obstruction. Also it makes me have like a gas bubble come up its totally weird.

I chew gum my surgeon said be very careful not to swallow it cause of obstruction. Also it makes me have like a gas bubble come up its totally weird.

wow really??? how soon after surg. did you start chewing? Gosh i was starting to wonder if I made the right decision...no gum, no diet pepsi, no motrin, phew......

About three months. I am on an all Protein diet and my breath I could taste all the time. I had to do something

I too chew gum all the time. Had surgery may 2013. My breath is killer cause of the protein... Sorry have to chew gum... No problems here

But that's just me! ;)

I'm out six months had surgery Jan 2013

well, i chewed a couple pieces last nite, and no prob...sure felt and tasted soooo good....ty