Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1st day at training for a 5k

So I got my new sneakers and I was excited to get out there and try the couch to 5k training. I have to admit that I couldn't finish it. I was a little embarrassed at how hard it was. I thought with all the walking and kickboxing I had been doing that I was conditioned enough. I was not prepared at all. I did a brisk 5 min warm up and then alternated jogging for 60 sec and brisk walking for 90 sec. I was only able to alternate three times. I'm going to try again tomorrow morning but this time I'm not going to stop I will just continue brisk walking if I can't jog again. Did anyone else trouble in the beginning?

No but I'm so glad your a trooper. It's getting so hard for me to exercise due to my back problem. Going for X-ray tomorrow. Lets see what is wrong with my back. I will go back to walking but Tuesday. I have X-ray in the morning court after X-ray since I'm near need to get out of being a juror due to my 5 year old graduation & my 3 year old I have to have the annual review he has autism & goes to special school.

You can do it!

So I got my new sneakers and I was excited to get out there and try the couch to 5k training. I have to admit that I couldn't finish it. I was a little embarrassed at how hard it was. I thought with all the walking and kickboxing I had been doing that I was conditioned enough. I was not prepared at all. I did a brisk 5 min warm up and then alternated jogging for 60 sec and brisk walking for 90 sec. I was only able to alternate three times. I'm going to try again tomorrow morning but this time I'm not going to stop I will just continue brisk walking if I can't jog again. Did anyone else trouble in the beginning?

I did the program before surgery. I actually did 2 of the 5ks this last fall and it's tough but u can do it girl!! It's actually what pushed me to make my final decision of surg cause I ran for 4 months and only lost 6lbs. I'm gonna start this program again within the next few weeks so u can be my c25k buddy!!!! I got to love running and the freedom it gave me to just clear my head. Good luck and keep going!

I want to try it, but haven't started yet... I'm going to try to start this summer.

I started it last week, and this time I will finish it. I have started it many times before, but I never lost weight so the longer than jogging time, the harder it became. Now each week I will be getting thinner and the jogging will be a little less like a torture regime and more fun.

But, many years ago, at my highest weight ever ~380lbs, I tried to do the elliptical, and made it for 5 minutes before I thought dying would be the easiest way off said elliptical. Eventually I was able to do it for an hour and barely broke a sweat. My long winded point- just keep doing what you can handle, push yourself a tiny bit more each time and you will be running a 5k before you know it!

It takes time to learn how to run and no less run a race !! Be patient with your self, even thought you thought you could do it because of the other exercises... running is way different than walking, kick boxing, weight lifting etc. You use different muscles, you have to learn how to breathe etc. etc. etc. It took me like 6 months to learn how to run 1 mile without stopping. I would do just like you did... run a bit , walk a bit, run a bit walk a bit. Then once I got use to it and learned how to breath, I set my goals a bit higher where I would speed walk a 1/4 mile then jog a 1/4 mile, then when I when I got comfortable with that I switched it to a 1/2 mile walk/1/2 run and slowly worked my way to a full mile. Remember BABY STEPS... is key. Good luck :)

It takes time to learn how to run and no less run a race !! Be patient with your self, even thought you thought you could do it because of the other exercises... running is way different than walking, kick boxing, weight lifting etc. You use different muscles, you have to learn how to breathe etc. etc. etc. It took me like 6 months to learn how to run 1 mile without stopping. I would do just like you did... run a bit , walk a bit, run a bit walk a bit. Then once I got use to it and learned how to breath, I set my goals a bit higher where I would speed walk a 1/4 mile then jog a 1/4 mile, then when I when I got comfortable with that I switched it to a 1/2 mile walk/1/2 run and slowly worked my way to a full mile. Remember BABY STEPS... is key. Good luck :)

Okay I will keep this in mind. It rained today so maybe tomorrow. How often did you train?

Okay I will keep this in mind. It rained today so maybe tomorrow. How often did you train?

I run daily Monday thru Friday, with a 4-5 mile speed walk with my dogs on the weekend. I have a NordicTrack Incline trainer in my basement along with a eliptical and weight machine. I do take one day off on the weekend whether it be Sat or Sun just to give the body a rest. It sounds like you got bit by the running bug :) I love to run... it makes me feel good. Any help or advise you need please ask away :) Also the weight melts off once you get into a routine with running :)

I'm currently doing the couch to 5 k . I am 8 months out down 100lbs. my goal before surgery was to learn to run. I use to wear orthotics and had bad pain in my feet. I started the couch to 5 k and I was stuck on week one for weeks then I tried week two and felt like I was going to die. However yesterday I moved up to week three and I lived. It was hard but I did it. In so proud if me . I will complete this program . In two weeks I have my first 5k warrior dash I will jog part and speed walk some. I will jog as much as I can. I also started women at work to do the couch to 5 k. It's hard but you can do it don't give up. I can't wait to finish the program. I was slow by the end of my jog yesterday but I kept going. Jog for 90 sec the walk 90 sec then jog 3 minutes the walk 3 minutes. Looks easy when you read it ooh I can jog for 60 sec it's damn hard. Your motivated that's 80 % of the battle whoop whoop you go girlllll