Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do you acually eat?

I am wondering what does a typical eating day in the life of a bander look like?

I haven't seen a lot of info about exactly what we eat once we get to solids. I have heard rice, bread, and flour-based items are no-nos. However, are there anyother foods that are considered off limits with the band? I heard that soda is off-limits too, is that true?

I am in the evaluation stages & any info you can share will be most helpful!

For breakfast I have a low sugar oatmeal or cream of wheat. I have plenty of Decaf iced tea all day, (I know it should be water) I have a light snack mid morning(yogurt or a Protein shake), and usually lunch meat and a slice of cheese for lunch sometimes a wheat thin or two. dinner is a serving of meat (3oz, the size of a deck of cards) and some veggies. I usually have a cup of hot tea before bed, sometimes I split a 100 calorie bag of popcorn with my daughter. If we go out to eat, I have the smallest most tender steak on the menu, and eat half and take the other half home for lunch the next day. I also do very well with shrimp, fish, and chicken. I don't eat pork, Pasta, rice or real bread. I do eat crackers, and I do eat breaded shrimp. ~Mandy

I stay away from carbonation and bread. Never tried it toasted.

The only food That doesn't want to agree with me is baked chicken. At 7 months I don't stay away from anything. Just eat small amounts because my band watches over me. I do eat alot of fruit popsicles. I like carmel popcorn rice cakes . I love any Soups. Love the new multgrain honey graham rice cakes.

I guess I am choosing better food for myself. I probably stay around 1000 calories a day.

At first I had to be careful with my food choices. Now when we go to a family get together I get a small (I mean small) portion of everything and usually can eat most of it. I feel like I don't miss out on anything anymore.

edie

I keep my menu in my journal on this forum. You can find my link at the bottom of the page.

A typical day for me

Bfast

1 poached egg or malt o meal or Protein shake for bfast

lunch

Today was chicken salad (about 1/2 cup), 2 bites of lettuce

dinner

Will probably be leftover fish from last night and a spoonful fo sweet potatoes.

I try and choose lean Protein, and a few bites of veggies. I stay away from carbs.

A typical breakfast for me is eggbeaters with some low-fat cheese thrown in for extra Protein, sometimes a small bowl of multi-grain Cereal, or oatmeal. I find I do much better at staying full longer if I have protein for breakfast as opposed to carbs. lunch is usually a frozen Lean Cuisine or similar meal consisting of meat and veggies only, or a salad. And dinner is usually fish or chicken or turkey and some veggies. I try to really limit my carbs, but if I do eat them, I try to choose whole grain instead of white anything. I will sometimes have a small snack of string cheese during the day, but not always. I have been able to eat anything I have tried so far--the only thing I haven't tried is bread. But as far as everything else goes--no problems. I have never thrown up or gotten anything stuck(except a pill now and then). I find I am choosing much healthier options than before too. It's all about making the right choices, I think. I could eat anything I wanted, only in smaller portions, but I WANT to make better choices now, and it has really paid off.

I eat everything in moderation within reason.

I ate a pancake with maple Syrup for breakfast this morning, shock, horror! Not the wisest of choices nutritionally, but normally I have a good high fibre cereal or a yogurt.

lunch is usually salad/meat combos - I was just at the shops and had a lamb kebab minus the pita bread, I had it in a bowl. Or a sandwich or wrap of some description.

dinner is usually meat and 3 veg type meals.

Today was an average day for me and I ate:

breakfast--small bowl of Honey Bunches of Oats Cinnamon Crunch cereal with milk

lunch--half a tuna salad sandwich---1 slice of bread, folded over tuna salad

snack--1/4 cup or so of almonds

dinner--roasted pork tenderloin, 1/2 of a small baked potato with butter and sour cream, and green Beans.< /strong>

I drink decaffeinated iced tea, and Water all day---I do not drink with my meals, or for an hour following breakfast and lunch, and for a half an hour after dinner. I also do not snack after dinner, I work to empty my pouch before going to bed.

I do not have any foods I refuse to eat, based on the band---there are plenty I do not like so choose not to eat!!! I had a PB when I tried to eat a yeast raised donut---so have avoided those. I have to make sure that meat is moist and tender, or have something for dipping if it is questionable----gravy, or ranch dressing for chicken strips for instance. I do have treats---I just eat much less than I was ever satisfied with before. I try not to eat until I am full, instead, just eating until I am no longer hungry.

I find eating normal, quite easy.

Kat