Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Everyone!

I have made the decision to have revision surgery. I don't have a date yet, and am still deciding between RNY and sleeve.

I've had a lot of complications with my band in the 3 years since surgery. I have never managed to have restriction and still feel good and eat healthy foods. As soon as I have restriction, I get terrible acid reflux, night coughing/vomiting, and I can't eat anything but tortilla chips, crackers, etc. Even liquids won't go down unless I eat chips/crackers first.

I just don't like my band. I know I make poor food choices, but these are honestly the only things that go down easy and don't make me feel sick. I also hate the feeling of being "full" AND "starving" at the same time! Like I can't get anything down, but I'm still so hungry I'm light-headed, weak, and headachy. It's not head hunger, it's genuine physical hunger. But the food (or drink, even) won't go down. And that's even with just mild restriction. Then when my band is emptied, I feel totally fine. But I can also eat anything and everything...

It's just not working for me, and with the complications I had to get my band emptied for several months (lots of vomiting, went through a really bad phase). So now I've gained back a ton of weight, AND I feel uncomfortable all the time.

I am just wondering, will it be any better with RNY? Will I be able to eat fruit, vegetables, and meat? Will I be able to eat Breakfast and lunch? Or is tight in the morning like the band? Will I still feel that full AND starving at the same time feeling??

Any insight would be a great help!

I am just wondering, will it be any better with RNY? I hope so... You have had it really rough. With out complications you should be better with RNY.

Will I be able to eat fruit, vegetables, and meat? Yes, I do all the time.

Will I be able to eat Breakfast and lunch? Yes

Or is tight in the morning like the band? Not tight just sometimes cranky. I was fine in the morning after about a month out

Will I still feel that full AND starving at the same time feeling?? Not for a while. Early on you don't even want food. I am about 6 month out now and I can get that I am starving feeling. I now have to make sure I don't eat too much or too often.

Hi Everyone!

I have made the decision to have revision surgery. I don't have a date yet, and am still deciding between RNY and sleeve.

I've had a lot of complications with my band in the 3 years since surgery. I have never managed to have restriction and still feel good and eat healthy foods. As soon as I have restriction, I get terrible acid reflux, night coughing/vomiting, and I can't eat anything but tortilla chips, crackers, etc. Even liquids won't go down unless I eat chips/crackers first.

I just don't like my band. I know I make poor food choices, but these are honestly the only things that go down easy and don't make me feel sick. I also hate the feeling of being "full" AND "starving" at the same time! Like I can't get anything down, but I'm still so hungry I'm light-headed, weak, and headachy. It's not head hunger, it's genuine physical hunger. But the food (or drink, even) won't go down. And that's even with just mild restriction. Then when my band is emptied, I feel totally fine. But I can also eat anything and everything...

It's just not working for me, and with the complications I had to get my band emptied for several months (lots of vomiting, went through a really bad phase). So now I've gained back a ton of weight, AND I feel uncomfortable all the time.

I am just wondering, will it be any better with RNY? Will I be able to eat fruit, vegetables, and meat? Will I be able to eat Breakfast and lunch? Or is tight in the morning like the band? Will I still feel that full AND starving at the same time feeling??

Any insight would be a great help!

Loopy is the lap band causing the acid reflux. It is my understanding with the sleeve if you have this issue, you definitely will have it with the sleeve. Just an FYI

Hi Everyone!

I have made the decision to have revision surgery. I don't have a date yet' date=' and am still deciding between RNY and sleeve.

I am just wondering, will it be any better with RNY? Will I be able to eat fruit, vegetables, and meat? Will I be able to eat breakfast and lunch? Or is tight in the morning like the band? Will I still feel that full AND starving at the same time feeling??

Any insight would be a great help![/quote']

I am a former band as well, it's night and day. I CAN eat in the morning though I do get full faster early in the day...I typically don't really feeling hungry for a few hours after I get up though. I'm almost 3 months post op and had grilled ribeye with grilled squash and asparagus for dinner last night. Had no problems with any of it (I eat somewhat slow and take small bites naturally so I'm sure that helps). I do get hungry occasionally but can grab a little of something and the hunger goes away and I feel satisfied for hours. I was NEVER satisfied with my band....I have zero reflux,the pressure in my chest and throat is completely gone. I can eat small amounts of almost anything. I feel good, I just feel good, after almost 3 years with a band I never felt good. I can't tell you what is right for oh, I can only say it has been day and night for me :). I'm not breaking records for fastest weight loss ever but it's slow and steady and I feel great. Good luck!!!!!

HW 312, pre-op (lap-band) 294, pre-op (RNY) 255, surgery date 2/11/13, goal weight 154, current weight 219

I am amazed as I read this thread! I thought I was the only one who failed the lap band! Mine was a vertical lap band that slipped and caused the heavy chest pain / pressure! Acid reflux and vomiting in my sleep where very common. Oh and when you described starving and not being able to eat that was me! My doctor recommended the RNY for me she said the sleeve will likely provide the same results sat the lap band did. I would suggest talking with your surgeon they should know which us best for you. Good luck!

I'm in day 6 of my revision to RNY! Life is good so far! Only disappointment is knowing they left all the remnants including the band in the old stomach! I pray complications don't form from it!

WOW, they left the remnants in of your old band????? My surgeon told me that he would take it out, that is why the surgery would take longer. How long was your surgery? It souds like you are happy with your choice of RNY....that is also my choice...just waiting on a date.

I am amazed as I read this thread! I thought I was the only one who failed the lap band! Mine was a vertical lap band that slipped and caused the heavy chest pain / pressure! Acid reflux and vomiting in my sleep where very common. Oh and when you described starving and not being able to eat that was me! My doctor recommended the RNY for me she said the sleeve will likely provide the same results sat the lap band did. I would suggest talking with your surgeon they should know which us best for you. Good luck!

I'm in day 6 of my revision to RNY! Life is good so far! Only disappointment is knowing they left all the remnants including the band in the old stomach! I pray complications don't form from it!

It is amazing how many band to RNY there are. My surgery will be 5/23 to remove it. Then have to wait a few months for bypass. One thing you said was "you failed the band". I want to think the band failed me or you as it seems to be doing with quite a few. Statistics are now even showing this, as it is having a great failure rate. The doctors, I think, want to blame us but such a big numer have been playing by the book yet something happens, so my question is there a big problem with this type of surgery and the doctors don't want to admit it because this surgery is $$$$$$$ signs in their eyes. So good luck as I'm in your corner cheering for a speedy recovery and a fantastic weight loss for without any complications.

Hi Everyone!

I have made the decision to have revision surgery. I don't have a date yet' date=' and am still deciding between RNY and sleeve.

I am just wondering, will it be any better with RNY? Will I be able to eat fruit, vegetables, and meat? Will I be able to eat breakfast and lunch? Or is tight in the morning like the band? Will I still feel that full AND starving at the same time feeling??

Any insight would be a great help![/quote']

Im only 3 weeks out so i cant really answer your questions but the problems you've had are the exact same as mine were and i always felt like it was just me making excuses until i started reading on here it seems to be what happens to alot of us bandsters...good luck on your journey

WOW' date=' they left the remnants in of your old band????? My surgeon told me that he would take it out, that is why the surgery would take longer. How long was your surgery? It souds like you are happy with your choice of RNY....that is also my choice...just waiting on a date.[/quote']

So far in pleased but very worried about the old band and remnants!! I see my surgeon for first post op on Tuesday so I will ask her then about removing the remnants. Overall my surgery was 4-5 hours everything was done Laparoscopic and I had tons of scar tissue. My surgeon said it made since to due it all at once.

It is amazing how many band to RNY there are. My surgery will be 5/23 to remove it. Then have to wait a few months for bypass. One thing you said was "you failed the band". I want to think the band failed me or you as it seems to be doing with quite a few. Statistics are now even showing this' date=' as it is having a great failure rate. The doctors, I think, want to blame us but such a big numer have been playing by the book yet something happens, so my question is there a big problem with this type of surgery and the doctors don't want to admit it because this surgery is signs in their eyes. So good luck as I'm in your corner cheering for a speedy recovery and a fantastic weight loss for without any complications.[/quote']

I agree with you. Last few years as I packed on pounds. I felt like I had been ripped off! I couldn't eat much and I kept gaining. Since i couldn't eat much i always ate things i enjoyed. Of course I wasn't exercising so that did make it my fault. I think I am mentally and physically ready to address my eating issues!

Loopy is the lap band causing the acid reflux. It is my understanding with the sleeve if you have this issue, you definitely will have it with the sleeve. Just an FYI

Thanks--good to know. Yes, it's the band causing it. I never had any problems before I got the band.

I am a former band as well, it's night and day. I CAN eat in the morning though I do get full faster early in the day...I typically don't really feeling hungry for a few hours after I get up though. I'm almost 3 months post op and had grilled ribeye with grilled squash and asparagus for dinner last night. Had no problems with any of it (I eat somewhat slow and take small bites naturally so I'm sure that helps). I do get hungry occasionally but can grab a little of something and the hunger goes away and I feel satisfied for hours. I was NEVER satisfied with my band....I have zero reflux,the pressure in my chest and throat is completely gone. I can eat small amounts of almost anything. I feel good, I just feel good, after almost 3 years with a band I never felt good. I can't tell you what is right for oh, I can only say it has been day and night for me :). I'm not breaking records for fastest weight loss ever but it's slow and steady and I feel great. Good luck!!!!!

HW 312, pre-op (lap-band) 294, pre-op (RNY) 255, surgery date 2/11/13, goal weight 154, current weight 219

Wow, that is awesome to hear! Thank you so much!!! :)

Oh, you're not the only one! I'm glad to hear you're doing so well so soon after surgery, that's great! I can't believe they left the band in, though! I totally assumed they would just take it out with a revision!!! I have my 1st consult on Monday, so I'll ask him about that. Good thing you mentioned it!

Im only 3 weeks out so i cant really answer your questions but the problems you've had are the exact same as mine were and i always felt like it was just me making excuses until i started reading on here it seems to be what happens to alot of us bandsters...good luck on your journey

Thank you so much. I know what you mean, I totally felt like a failure for years. But the more I read on here, the more confident I feel about being successful with a revision to RNY. I wish I'd done it in the first place....