Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone hope when reading this your doing great : im juat starting my journey my first appt with the surgeon is apr 30th already did the first cardio appt my question is when i dont eat at a certain time of the day my body shakes im lightheaded dont feel good at all cause my sugars drops i work standing up for 9 hours a day and sometimes i dont even eat for loong periods of time thats why my metabolism is so bad ! and i wonder with surgery and less amount of sugar how i am going to feel? I dont want to feel sick or weak all the time is there anybody that knows cause i know that the sugar intake after surgery has to be minimal so HELP! I appreciate your comments have a wonderful day!

Hypoglycemia is strongly linked with what doctors refer to as "late dumping". Late dumping usually occurs within two to three hours following the ingestion of too much sugar. But can occur after twelve hours or more. About two-thirds of folks who experience dumping get "early dumping" - which usually occurs fifteen to thirty minutes after eating. One third experience late dumping. And about 50% of RNY patients do not experience dumping at all. I experience late dumping and having checked my blood sugar the first couple of times, I'm certain that it is hypoglycemia - the second time it happened my blood sugar was 37. The good news is that it's easily "treated" and the body response is very quick - usually within 15 to 30 minutes. The treatment is quite simple - eat something with sugar - a piece of fruit such as an orange or perhaps a few grapes or in the absence of anything else even a small square of chocolate will bring almost immediate relief of the symptoms of hypoglycemia. Definitely not pleasant, but relatively easy to correct. And better yet, relatively easy to avoid in the first place by avoiding foods with excessive sugar. Following surgery, it's quite important that you eat on a regular basis so you'll want to plan for it. You're already experiencing hypoglycemia pre-op but that doesn't necessarily mean that you will post-op. Especially if you're diabetic since diabetes often goes into remission following RNY. You're going to love the new you!

I had reactive hypoglycemia pre op. I pretty much new I'd be sick as a dog if I had any sort of carbs at Breakfast or lunch. I always got sick between 2:30 pm and 4pm and would have to eat something or I would pass out. Since surgery two weeks ago I have not had any symptoms of hypoglycemia at all.