Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My doctor requires me to have a upper GI. What are they looking for? It worries me because in the last couple of months I have started getting heart burn. Will this keep me from getting the band?

SueB

The UGI is just a test to rule out any problems in your upper gi tract. They look for any erosions in the esophagus, any ulcers that may be bleeding or not, any kind of tears, malformations of the GI tract. The heartburn in itself wont keep you from getting banded, but not treating the heartburn can lead to ulcers, gastric erosions, etc. So dont worry about the test itself, its just a precautionary thing. Good luck.

I think they're looking for GERD (acid reflux maybe?). I thought that would be a positive, to add to the fact that you need the surgery....? Good luck. I had it and if it's the same test, you have to drink some N A S T Y drink and they watch it go down via xray. Personally, I almost projectile vomited on the Dr., but all was OK.

Personally, I almost projectile vomited on the Dr., but all was OK.

That sounds just lovely.:faint: Thanks for the heads up.

Hi Sue,

Don't worry about it. They want to make sure you have a healthy upper GI tract. That is one of the first things they check. They want to make sure they/you won't encounter any problems with the procedure and the band itself.

Good luck with the test. I have had two done recently and they are really quick now. I think I was only on the table for less than 10/15 min. tops. Not like years ago at all.

Hey, I think what your talking about could be an endoscopy could not be. I just had an endoscopy and they found i have a small Hiatal Hernia, and Gastritis. Nothing that wont keep me from getting the band, at least thats what the doctor has said so far. So i dont think you will have any problems. The endoscopy is very fast, and virtually painless, except for the IV. IV's hurt no matter what. The medicine they give you is absolutely amaaazing. I love it. No worries. You'll be fine. Good luck to you!

~Hotpink~

Thanks Hotpink. I am already getting nervous and I don't even have an appointment yet.

Hey, I know how you feel 100% i was so so so so so so nervous going in Monday for my endoscopy. When the lady did the IV, i dont know why, but everytime someone does my IV, then end up squirting my blood all over me, and i FREAKED OUT, i started bawling and shaking and screaming, I cant stand seeing my own blood on me, i just cant handle it. But after that everything went so smoothly i was shocked. It really wasnt that bad at all. You will be just fine, I promise. Good luck!!

~Hotpink~

An Endoscopy and UGI are 2 different things. An endoscopy is where the doc goes down your esophagus with a light and camera to to look for any problems. An UGI is a test thats done under a special type of xray called Fluoro. you have to drink barium, then the doc can follow the barium down your esophagus into your stomach, searching for leaks, obstructions, narrowing of the esophagus. Things that might hinder the food from going down. The endoscopy gives a more detailed up close and personal look at your insides, but more invasive, and the UGI is more generalized. Neither are much fun, but tolerable, and over rather fast. You will do just fine. Think of it as just another stepping stone to reaching your goal of surgery and weight loss. Good luck!!

Hey,

I had my upper GI and had one about 7 years ago. It is ok to have heart burn I curently take prevacid for acid relux and my doctor knows about it. They are looking for Hiatal Hernia, ulcers things like that. Damadge to the stomach. The main thing is to relax and not burp. You are not aloud to burp. My tech was soooo nice. I had it done in the morning and went to work after. Hope this helps.

Susie,

I found out I'll have to have a UGI after insurance gives us the green light and a date is scheduled. I know the stuff is "NASTY", but can anyone be more specific? Is it just a bad taste, or is it a texture that's hard to swig down? I'm concerned because I have a hard time swallowing Pepto Bismol or Kaopectate because of that chalky testure. I throw it back up almost every time. I think I can hold my nose and handle the bad taste, as long as it's not chalky.

ok, First you have to drink stuff that is kinda like sprite. You only have to drink a little but it makes you want to burp and you can't burp. That is to put air in your tummy so they can see everything. Now the other stuff looks chalky it dosent have much taste. They have you chug it with a straw. The whole experience isn't such a big deal! The harest part for me was not being able to burp, just cause I get nausouse. Sorry about the bad spelling! I hope this helps you! If not continue to ask.

Susie,

Thanks Susie.I finally got in to see the doctor on Feb. 14 and as it turns out, it's up to me if I get the UGI. He said that if I had the test and it showed that I have a hernia, he can do the repair when he does the band surgery. I am self pay and do not think I have a hernia, so I am opting to save the money from that test. I am glad that it's turned out that way, because I was not looking forward to it.

Thanks for all your help.