Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

drug testing (weed mostly)

I'm asking for a family member that is also geting this done... She had smoked weed this week and lots of it and she is unsure if the insurance requires drug testing for this... Has any1 else been drug tested?

I've heard of people being tested for smoking cigarettes/nicotine in their system, but I've never heard of drug testing per se for this op.

I'm asking for a family member that is also geting this done... She had smoked weed this week and lots of it and she is unsure if the insurance requires drug testing for this... Has any1 else been drug tested?

Throughout the process you are asked if you smoke and if you use drugs. They do blood work throughout this process up to the day of surgery.

Your family member needs to stop smoking and doing drugs they run the risk if not having the procedure and causing a health risk to themselves.

If the drugs are to help them cope with the anxiety they should let the doctor know.

Best of luck to them.

D'oh! I should know better by now than to answer these questions LOL. They do things so differently where I am, that nothing is the same, ever. People should all ignore me entirely (more than they already do). :lol:

They never did blood tests for drugs. I had mine

Oops.... Anyway I had surgery here in the US. Only blood tests were for nicotine and preop. I think they must disclose if they are looking of other specific drugs.

I have never heard of drug screening for the procedure or denial for that reason. I do know people have been denied based on drinking habits and it being determined they weren't psychologically ready for the surgery.

I have a friend you uses this to calm her stomach when it is bothering her. Its basically no longer recreational out of fear of derailing progress. Funny she says its no longer recreational but medicinal.

Yes they ask this question a lot. Is it best to lie about it - I can't say. It is confidential to the health care provider and may be important to know for recovery etc

Oops.... Anyway I had surgery here in the US. Only blood tests were for nicotine and preop. I think they must disclose if they are looking of other specific drugs.

I have never heard of drug screening for the procedure or denial for that reason. I do know people have been denied based on drinking habits and it being determined they weren't psychologically ready for the surgery.

I have a friend you uses this to calm her stomach when it is bothering her. Its basically no longer recreational out of fear of derailing progress. Funny she says its no longer recreational but medicinal.

Yes they ask this question a lot. Is it best to lie about it - I can't say. It is confidential to the health care provider and may be important to know for recovery etc

Agreed it is important to disclose any drug us to the doctor in order to prevent drug reaction or complication during and after surgery.

"Your family member" should probably not have done that. My urine was drug tested the morning of surgery. Smoking anything also increases your chance for blood clots and a much slower recovery.

I am almost positive my lab work included drug testing. It's been a little bit, but I am pretty sure I remember it on the results page as negative. They also didn't warn me, I went in for blood work and they sprung a urine test on me.

My surgeon refuses surgery on anyone who smokes... weed or cigarettes... but I'm not sure what formal testing he will do to confirm whether or not his patients are abusing substances.

On a side note, my cousin just had the lapband procedure last week. Her lung collapsed during surgery and the surgeon told her it was most likely because she is a heavy smoker. If that's not a reason to put it down, I'm not sure what is!

My surgeon refuses surgery on anyone who smokes... weed or cigarettes... but I'm not sure what formal testing he will do to confirm whether or not his patients are abusing substances.

On a side note' date=' my cousin just had the lapband procedure last week. Her lung collapsed during surgery and the surgeon told her it was most likely because she is a heavy smoker. If that's not a reason to put it down, I'm not sure what is![/quote']

My self personally I quit ciggs. If im looking to make healthy choices I think thats a big one right there... But I had 1 joint about a week ago... Not a heavy smoker its a once in a blue thing but im trying to kick it out...

I had to have a nicotine and a drug test and my insurance won't do it if you test positive. My center won't do the surgery either. Not even medical.

What insurance do you have if you don't mind me asking

Girl stop lighting up that Mary J..oops I mean your family member lol it increases your risk for blood clots and slows down healing. Post-op it'll give you the munchies and it'll be torture for you with your lil stomach, oops I mean your family member.

Girl stop lighting up that Mary J..oops I mean your family member lol it increases your risk for blood clots and slows down healing. Post-op it'll give you the munchies and it'll be torture for you with your lil stomach' date=' oops I mean your family member.[/quote']

Its mainly my aunt but I have done it... Im not gonna say I dont.. I quit ciggs tho not easy but the surgery is most inportant 2 me at the moment