Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Story... Good and Bad

After a tremendous amount of research on the Gastric Band and Sleeve I decided to get sleeved. After going through all the approval processes, I was sleeved on May 24, 2013. I was super excited and looking forward to the new "thin" me!! After surgery the Doctor said everything went just as planned. I was feeling very nauseous and sick. I felt like my head was going to come off.. the doctors said I might be going through caffeine withdrawl?? I asked for pain medicine... they said they were waiting on my doctor to prescribe that. I asked for something for nausea and one nurse gave me alcohol pads to smell.. it actually worked. I was in a lot of pain and finally had my friend who is a nurse call the hospital and find out what was going on. The night nurses were clueless... they gave me Water with a straw when I told them I had sore throat... they brought me Tylenol pills to swallow when I asked for pain meds... I told them I couldn't have that... even on the wall it said "ice chips only". They said they would cut the pill in fourths if I wanted them smaller. Again, I had done a lot of research and I knew what I could and couldn't have. My doctor came back to the hospital at 10pm because someone finally got ahold of him and told him what was going on.. he was very upset at the hospital personnel. I so sick and in pain that my doctor ordered a swallow test to make sure that the sleeve was done correctly. That test turned out good. The next day was Saturday, I was still sick and nauseous and for some reason my kidney's shut down. Not good.. and I was still so sick. On Sunday, the kidneys started working again.. thank God! I was very sick but ready to go home. I was released on Monday. I was weak and couldn't wait to get home. My next follow-up appointment with my doctor was the next Thursday. I was still feeling nauseous but I could keep down popsicles and water. At my appointment I showed my doctor a HUGE bruise on my stomach. It was as black as dark grapes and as big as a cantaloupe. I could tell my doctor was surprised. All he said was "that's were you bled out". He told me not to be concerned. By the weekend, I was puking up stomach bile and couldn't even keep down water. I called his office and he told me to come in on Monday. On Monday, he admitted me to the hospital. His exact words to me were "You look like hell". I was dehydrated, weak and nauseous. It was horrible. In the hospital they did another swallow test and an MRI. Swallow test went well... the MRI showed I had a HUGE Hematoma in my stomach. I was 15 inches long. It was bigger than any of my organs... the doctor said this is what was making me so sick. So, they put a drain in and sent me home. I felt ok for about two days then the puking and nausea started again. I was readmitted to the hospital the following Monday for dehydration and nausea. Another MRI showed that the drain was not in the hematoma anymore and the blood was still about 12 inches long. Apparently, all the heaving and puking had moved it. The doctors put two more drains in and after a few days sent me home. After about two days, I was puking and couldn't keep anything down again. After the following week I was readmitted to the hospital for surgery to remove the hematoma. By this time, the hematoma had "jellied" and the doctor said he got out most of it but not all. He said he would literally have to scoop it out with his had to get it all. What was left was like trying to slurp Jello through a straw. The next week I was back in his office still sick and nauseas. Through the whole process I had tried all types of medicine to help with the nausea. I had to wear a patch behind my ear and my two weeks vacation from work turned into a six week sick leave. It took me six weeks to work through the nausea and dehydration. It was a horrible experience and every day I wished I wouldn't have had the surgery. Night and day puking stomach bile was a nightmare. Since surgery I have lost 41 pounds... I love losing the weight and how it makes me feel. I feel tremendously better and have put the six weeks behind me and choose not to dwell on the negative. The weight loss is super slow right now and that is kind of frustrating. However, I've never lost 41 pounds in 14 weeks before so I'll take it. I've been reading about stalls so I know this his normal and the weight loss will continue... I will reach my goal eventually!!! I do appreciate that my doctor did all he could to make me feel better.. I don't blame him for what happened. I am greatfull to finally be feeling like a human again. Would I choose surgery if I know what I know now.. I am not sure?? It was the worst 6 weeks of my life... and I really felt like I was going to die. When I reach my goal I might have another opinion.. maybe it will be worth it... we will see. Nothing that's worth it is ever easy!! If you haven't had the surgery yet, do your research. Mistakes can happen... you need to be prepared and keep in touch with your doctor daily if needed. My doctor texted me almost daily to see how I was doing. Good Luck to everyone!!! :)

Good googly woogly I hate to hear that you had to go through all of that. I sure hope that's a rare problem, I'm on day 5 of my pre surgery diet and I know that complications can happen but dang, you went through hell. I hope all goes well from now on. Susan

Thank you Susan. Everyone tells me that I should have had a drain in me right from day one... Please ask your doctor what they do. I feel like if I'd have had the drain maybe it wouldn't have been so bad. Good luck to you.. I do hope your journey is successful. :)

Wow SO sorry to hear that you had to go through all of that .... I'm having my surgery Friday and I am very nervous ... Reading this post just made it worst ...

Keke... I'm feeling 100% better today. If you read this site, most people have had great experiences. I told my story because I never read the bad stuff first...only the good. You need to make the right decision for you. Just be aware that while nausea is common... You need to stay hydrated and keep in contact with your Doctor if your symptoms persist for too long. Good luck to you... I do hope everything turns out good for you. :)

Thank you for sharing your story. It is so easy to forget this is major surgery and a decision not to be made hastely. I am glad you are feeling better. Good Luck on the rest of your journey.

Thank you! Now, I just need to get past this stall and I'll be great...lol! :)

Wow! You did have a rough beginning..but glad it's better!

I know it is major surgery but it helps to think of what you might be facing down the road if you don't have the surgery. Also ask yourself not only if you can lose the weight but also whether you can keep it off. I was 110 pounds when I went off to college. When I got married 3 years later I was 122. I got up to 150 and then went on a diet and lost down to 102. Then I gained to about 125 or 130 until I got pregnant - miscarried and got up to 140. Finally had my daughter at 29 years old and went up to 182 and would eventually get down to 172 when my daughter was about 6. Then I had an alcoholic abusive boyfriend. I got up to 185 again and then before I left four years later I was up to about 212. Then I was on my own and got up to 239. Then I had surgery for sleep apnea and then I lost down to about 180 again. I was up to 242 again two or three years later. Then I went down to 172 again and then had another bad relationship and then moved and then I GOT BIT BY A RACOON and got rabies shots. It was a very stressful time, then I went back up to 240 before I had my sleeve surgery.

What finally convinced me is when I started having knee problems and could no longer walk without pain. As long as it was just worsening asthma or feeling tired it didn't seem like such a problem. I was told I might need knee replacement surgery and it would cost at least $45,000 and I felt like the price tag for the sleeve and the shorter recovery time made it a better option.

Also remember that even surgeries like tonsillectomies and appendicitis operations can have complications like blood clots, infections and bad reactions to anesthetic.

I have a quick question. Were you at a bariatric surgical center where the doctor works at that hospital?

Oh my goodness! I am so sorry to hear about your experience. Glad to hear things are working out now. Don't worry...that stall will pass!! :-) Thank you for being so candid. I wish you continued success.

I have a quick question. Were you at a bariatric surgical center where the doctor works at that hospital?

I was at a hospital that was supposed to be a "Center of Excellence". My doctor performs surgery out of there but his office is in another hospital. My insurance company would only pay 50% of my costs vs. 80% if I did not go to a supposed Center of Excellence. I was readmitted four different times... Those times were at my doctors hospital. I refused to go back to the other place. In fact, I told the hospital administrator that if i was run over in his parking lot I would beg to go to another place. They made so many errors with my after care it was scary. The nurses were not educated on this type of surgery apparently. The day shift was ok at best.. The night shift was bringing me all sorts of things I couldn't have and they never once helped me out of bed to walk the floors, which you should do to prevent blood clots. I never left my bed until I got home. I should have insisted but I was so sick, drugged and upset I tried to sleep through it.

From the sound of things you did not have a drain put in at the time of your original surgery. Is that correct? Seems to me if you had one, the blood would have come out your drain rather than stay in until it became a big clot that wouldn't drain.

From the sound of things you did not have a drain put in at the time of your original surgery. Is that correct? Seems to me if you had one' date=' the blood would have come out your drain rather than stay in until it became a big clot that wouldn't drain.[/quote']

That is correct. I wonder if everyone has a drain for this surgery??? Not sure.

I did not have a drain! I was in a regular private hospital, the nurses knew everything they needed to know and made no silly mistakes. I feel so sorry for you having such a terrible time, I want to give you big hugs.

Jen.