Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need encouragement.

Tomorrow is my big day but still have a small bit of doubt ! My BMI is kind of low (36), but it has been that way for 20+ years despite all my dieting efforts. My husband & I are fine with my size & looks, but it's by far not about that ! I am 51, have severe sleep apnea, recently diagnosed with T2 Diabetes and have been on high BP meds for a few years. I know in my heart this is the right thing but I'm afraid of being judged or judging myself for not trying harder at the gym. After working 40+ hours a week, I'll admit , the gym wasn't a happy place for me. I appreciate any thoughts. last minute jitters I guess :)

Control yourself! If you do not discuss your decision with EVERYONE, you will not give them permission to judge you. I promise you, you are under no obligation to blab your personal information and decision with everyone you know. Even later after you reach your goal of a beautiful, HEALTHY body, simply tell them, "I ate less."

Jeanie, any type of surgery is scary and it is okay to be scared; but low BMI or not, you have struggled with your weight for a very long time. We are all here because we struggled with our weight and suffer from some form of food addiction. I for one refused to feel guilty or let other people judge me because I chose to utilize a technology to make myself healthier. People utilize technology everyday to make their lives easier, we are no different. My husband too never--EVER--made a comment or judgement about my weight, but I wanted to be healthier. I wanted to stop the weight gain. I wanted to be better. Don't let the fear of judgement from other people stop you from making yourself healthier. This is not about them, this is about you. Your life. Your health. Your future.

Good luck tomorrow. We shall see you on the other side!

Control yourself! If you do not discuss your decision with EVERYONE, you will not give them permission to judge you. I promise you, you are under no obligation to blab your personal information and decision with everyone you know. Even later after you reach your goal of a beautiful, HEALTHY body, simply tell them, "I ate less."

Only my family knows. I guess the judging is mainly coming from myself. Thanks for your words.

Jeanie, any type of surgery is scary and it is okay to be scared; but low BMI or not, you have struggled with your weight for a very long time. We are all here because we struggled with our weight and suffer from some form of food addiction. I for one refused to feel guilty or let other people judge me because I chose to utilize a technology to make myself healthier. People utilize technology everyday to make their lives easier, we are no different. My husband too never--EVER--made a comment or judgement about my weight, but I wanted to be healthier. I wanted to stop the weight gain. I wanted to be better. Don't let the fear of judgement from other people stop you from making yourself healthier. This is not about them, this is about you. Your life. Your health. Your future.

Good luck tomorrow. We shall see you on the other side!

Bless you :) You brightened my day. I feel that way on the inside but my thoughts get in the way. I want desperately to be healthy and not have to worry about leaving this world to young. I'm not done yet!!!! lol Thank you and have a beautiful day :)

You are safe from being judged here. Lots of us have done this surgery for a variety of reasons, but it mainly comes down to living a longer, healthier life. I was nervous before my surgery, but it is truly the BEST thing I have ever done for myself. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Just wanted to chime in. Pre-surgery jitters are normal. I'm set to be sleeved later this month and my emotions are all over the place -- scared, excited, frustrated, questioning whether I really "need" this. The problem is not that we are jittery -- the problem is that we are jittery and we think we shouldn't be (if that makes any sense). I'm trying to really relax into that uncomfortable place. We are all cheering for you. PLEASE LET US KNOW HOW THE OTHER SIDE GOES!

All the best,

Angela

You are safe from being judged here. Lots of us have done this surgery for a variety of reasons, but it mainly comes down to living a longer, healthier life. I was nervous before my surgery, but it is truly the BEST thing I have ever done for myself. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Oh thank you ! Cheers to longer life & happiness :) ~ Jeanie

Just wanted to chime in. Pre-surgery jitters are normal. I'm set to be sleeved later this month and my emotions are all over the place -- scared, excited, frustrated, questioning whether I really "need" this. The problem is not that we are jittery -- the problem is that we are jittery and we think we shouldn't be (if that makes any sense). I'm trying to really relax into that uncomfortable place. We are all cheering for you. PLEASE LET US KNOW HOW THE OTHER SIDE GOES!

All the best,

Angela

Thanks Angela. I guess I'm just like everyone else, just trying to make peace with my decision. I will keep in touch . xxx

the surgery is only the beginning...You are going to deal with a lot of other emotions as you go along....Some good , some bad....The start is here on this forum where you can be encouraged to be yourself making your way to a better healthier you....

I am 10 months out and I deal with a lot of issues that I never thought would come my way.......This is all part of the process...

I only told a few in my family...most don't know about it all. I need people who are positive so I can make my way through this journey...DON'T let anyone make you feel bad about wanting to feel and be healthy.....

One more thing...I was not like all the rest of the folks on here..I looked forward to my surgery with baited breath....After I was the.001% who had a rough time with it..Spent 5 months in the hospital due to complications from the sleeve...

Would I do it all again...YES....

I no longer take blood pressure pills or stomach medication...I can walk now easily and I am a new improved me...All benefits of my choice.....

Go girl....Go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the surgery is only the beginning...You are going to deal with a lot of other emotions as you go along....Some good , some bad....The start is here on this forum where you can be encouraged to be yourself making your way to a better healthier you....

I am 10 months out and I deal with a lot of issues that I never thought would come my way.......This is all part of the process...

I only told a few in my family...most don't know about it all. I need people who are positive so I can make my way through this journey...DON'T let anyone make you feel bad about wanting to feel and be healthy.....

One more thing...I was not like all the rest of the folks on here..I looked forward to my surgery with baited breath....After I was the.001% who had a rough time with it..Spent 5 months in the hospital due to complications from the sleeve...

Would I do it all again...YES....

I no longer take blood pressure pills or stomach medication...I can walk now easily and I am a new improved me...All benefits of my choice.....

Go girl....Go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you so much. Sorry you had complications, but very happy that you have a new lease on life! I will Go !!! LOL

Tomorrow is my big day but still have a small bit of doubt ! My BMI is kind of low (36)' date=' but it has been that way for 20+ years despite all my dieting efforts. My husband & I are fine with my size & looks, but it's by far not about that ! I am 51, have severe sleep apnea, recently diagnosed with T2 Diabetes and have been on high BP meds for a few years. I know in my heart this is the right thing but I'm afraid of being judged or judging myself for not trying harder at the gym. After working 40+ hours a week, I'll admit , the gym wasn't a happy place for me. I appreciate any thoughts. last minute jitters I guess :)[/quote']

Im going thru the same "guilt". I have a 40 bmi and am 60. But i also have ankylosing spondylitis and peripheral neuropathy and my weight complicates both conditions. Ive come to the conclusion that if i want even a modicum of quality of life with my wife, grandkids, and jobits time forsomething drastic whic is what i consider VSG. I dont want to just be around-i want to be involved. This choice gives me that chance. Rock n roll!

Im going thru the same "guilt". I have a 40 bmi and am 60. But i also have ankylosing spondylitis and peripheral neuropathy and my weight complicates both conditions. Ive come to the conclusion that if i want even a modicum of quality of life with my wife, grandkids, and jobits time forsomething drastic whic is what i consider VSG. I dont want to just be around-i want to be involved. This choice gives me that chance. Rock n roll!

Thanks for your input! I totally understand and agree. I want to keep my job & play with grandkids too! I want to Rock-N-Roll too ! LOL Thanks jayker :) p.s. are you sleeved?

You do realize that sleeve surgery doesn't actually remove any weight (except the 2 lbs or so that your stomach weighs). It's a TOOL to HELP YOU lose weight. It's still up to you to lose the weight. You do that by 1) eating less, and 2) moving more. YOU are doing the work. Don't be embarrassed, or hang your head if someone doesn't get that.

Good luck on your journey. It's going to be amazing!