Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stress cravings

Having an incredibly stressful day. On a 1-10 scale it's a 47. And I swear I'm smelling donuts. I don't want to eat them. I have no appetite today, but I'm smelling them everywhere. The aroma is so strong and seems so real. I hate this.

Butter, I just got back from the vet, and everything that can go wrong with my dog seems to be happening right now...

I didn't realize it until reading you post but I'm eating roasted edamame by the handful right now it's the first thing I grabbed for....

I understand stress eating.

Sorry! Sometimes the only good thing to be said for a day is that it is over.

Lynda

I'm sorry for your dog Laura.

She's getting old :(

I'm sorry that its been such a hard day butter,

But your doing great, it may not be pretty, but your hanging in there and that's all that counts!

Stress cravings suck. I always want something fried or sugary. Or cheesy with carbs. I try thinking of how nutritionally worthless theses foods are to me & how it will make the scale creep upward ( worse feeling)& how eating worse does not equal felling better. What are you stressed about? What will make it better?

Stress cravings suck. I always want something fried or sugary. Or cheesy with carbs. I try thinking of how nutritionally worthless theses foods are to me & how it will make the scale creep upward ( worse feeling)& how eating worse does not equal felling better. What are you stressed about? What will make it better?

Life is just hard today. But you're right. About everything. Went for a 4 mile run instead. I don't feel any better but the smell of donuts is gone at least.

Life is just hard today. But you're right. About everything. Went for a 4 mile run instead. I don't feel any better but the smell of donuts is gone at least.

And you don't feel worse, which I almost always do if I eat much crap food. So even though you may feel Ike crap, you haven't made yourself feel worse, and that counts for a lot. Someone here (forgive me but I've already forgotten who) said self soothing doesn't have to be self sabatoge. So true!

Lynda

And you don't feel worse' date=' which I almost always do if I eat much crap food. So even though you may feel Ike crap, you haven't made yourself feel worse, and that counts for a lot. Someone here (forgive me but I've already forgotten who) said self soothing doesn't have to be self sabatoge. So true!

Lynda[/quote']

Thanks. I'm going to score it a victory and get to bed while the getting is good.

Great idea BTB. Going for a run instead of eating. Eating never makes it better so I'm not sure why we do it. Temporary fix I guess.

Boy do I understand stress eating! Also, grief eating, fear eating, anxiety eating, nervous eating ...

I find that, when the urge comes over me, if I can get a really good strong hug from someone right away, the feeling passes. Or if I journal through it, the feeling will pass. If everything is just too overwhelming and I'm totally alone, then I hurriedly shove as much salad greens and raw veggies into my mouth as I can cram, those are still sticker foods for me, so if I'm packed to the gills with those, it's physically impossible to poison myself with something bad.

Man, that was a truly awesome post Globe. I never realized how much contact with my kids or husband helps me relieve stress in an incredibly positive way. How could I be so ignorant of something?

Butter, hang in there. There isn't a person here who doesn't know about stress eating (or as Globe listed, all the other "eatings" we use to cope) so you're not alone. We all deal with this and long term success isn't decided on one day's choices, so that's good news if you do slip up and hit the doughnuts. Finding more positive ways to self soothe, or more nutritional choices to cope is best, of course. :) I surely don't recommend a doughnut binge. It'll just make you feel sick...and you'll still be stressed.

~Cheri

Wow. 4 mile run instead of donuts? Bravo.

Hugs, first of all :wub:

And good for you for opting to go for a run instead of eating, you are a much stronger person than I am. I can tell when I am stressed because all I want to do is eat, even it if upsets my stomach. I am still working on battling that demon!