Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm still not clear on how much Protein, carbs, and calories should we be having each day. I am 4 weeks post op.

I average 40 g protein, 500 cals, and 30 g carbs daily. I've looked through my literature from the surgeon and nutritionist several times and can't seem to find any guidelines.

Anybody know?

Thanks!

My hospital focuses mainly on Protein. They want us to have at least 60g of protein a day. For patients that are a little taller, they want them to have more. My NUT said that about 80-100g was good for me. I've never been told an amount for calories, carbs, etc.. and when I've asked I've been steered back to the protein.

I think that's why I'm unclear about it. The focus is all about Protein and Water so I wasn't getting solid number info. Therefore, I've been at a loss and was feeling like I'm not getting in enough of the protein and water. 60g protein seems like a doable amount.

Thank you so much Andi!

Divide your actual weight in half and that number should be the amount of Protein you need per day. Hope that helps.

Divide your actual weight in half and that number should be the amount of Protein you need per day.

IE My preop weight was 215 = 107 grams of protein/day for me. Currently I'm at 167 lbs = 83.5 grams/day Hope that helps.

It's best if you have two shakes a day and the rest of Protein from meat, fish, chicken, turkey. Eat 3 hours a part and not more than 4 hours. Eating 4 small meals per day.

It's best if you have two shakes a day and the rest of Protein from meat, fish, chicken, turkey. Eat 3 hours a part and not more than 4 hours. Eating 4 small meals per day.

It's best if you have two shakes a day and the rest of protein from meat, fish, eggs (whites), chicken, turkey (depending what stage you're in). Eat 3 hours a part and not more than 4 hours. Eating 4-6 small meals per day. Per my PRO MMA Fighter friend, "6x a day about every 3 hours. Don't do more then 2 shakes a day. Getting protein for meat is better then shakes.. make sure to eat protein with your carbs every meal. Egg whites, chicken breast, fish Lord of green veggies. No white rice, potatoes, Pasta, flour, bread and no canned food".

Our NUT guides by height. I am tall and my goal is 100. Smallest amount is 60, for folks who are short.

Agree with what someone said above...I was told I need a minimum of 70g/day and that calories, carbs, etc. are irrelevant at this point. I was also told to try to get my Protein from food OTHER than Protein Shakes, as I can handle liquids like a champ now. When I choose a more solid protein (i.e. chicken, tuna), I can eat much less and still get my protein needs taken care of. I only have a Protein Shake now on rare occasions, and I'm 6 weeks post-op.

I am 5'8 and my NUT told me 80 grams of Protein a day and 64 ounces of fluids (minimum). At six weeks, my surgeon told me to work on getting my protein from real food and to wean myself from shakes, which I can do on most days.

My NUT guidelines is 50g of Protein per day from shakes, and then whatever I can get from food on top of that is great. She said our bodies normally need 70-80g per day, but if we get 50g from our shakes, then don't worry about the rest, just try to eat protein at all 3 meals, and that is enough in addition to our shakes. But the 2 shakes, 50g protein per day is an absolute must daily.

I'm 5'5 and the nutritionist said 60 grams of Protein per day. She also said we should wean ourselves from Protein Drinks by four months and get all our protein from regular food with a very occasional Protein Drink.< /p>

Thanks so much to all for your information. It's greatly appreciated. I'm obviously not getting enough Protein by any standard! Am I the only one that gets horrible nausea from the Protein shakes? It takes me two 30-40 minute attempts to get down one shake. I space them apart (morning and evening). I have six different brands in my pantry right now - all are from the doctor's office or the internet with the exception of the 52e brand. There's a particular taste and smell in all of them that makes me gag at this point.

I will go back to drinking the 40g Protein Isopure drinks daily. They're expensive and leave my mouth feeling weird, but I haven't ever thrown them up.

I have a NUT appointment on Thursday. I'm sure I will get some help from her at that point too.

I've forgotten about the Vitamins too! I will get back on those!!!

Thanks y'all!

Deb

How does height indicate how much Protein One comsumes?

For ex if you have a 6 foot tall person weighing 145 lbs and 6foot tall person weighing 240 lbs...their requirement of Protein will be different.