Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One million appts to make...

Ok, so not quite a million appts, but it feels like it right now. I had my first consult with my surgeon last Friday and it went very well. I am now trying to schedule all the pre-op appts and tests needed. I I am worried that I won't keep everything straight and will forget a step. On top of the stress of all these appts (making and going to them) I am supposed to try to lose 5-10 lbs. So far I haven't really started anything new. I luckily already have my 6 months at Weight Watchers, but I did not do very well as a whole with that, so I need to show my insurance company that I am dedicated and lose some before I go back to see the surgeon. I also have to talk to my director at work about everything. I have decided to be honest at least with my department and tell them what surgery I am having. They all know about my struggles with weight loss and I am hoping they will be supportive. The problem is my surgeon requires 8 weeks with a no more than 5 lb lifting restriction. With my job I can not work with a restriction like that. Gotta love working in health care! So I will have to take short term disability and take that whole time off. I was hoping for only 4 weeks, but my surgeon is strict about it, which is good I guess. I don't want to go through the surgery and then screw it up by lifting something or someone heavy.

Well I have already made my group nutritionist appt (I need one group and one individual) as well as an appt with my gastroenterologist cuz of course they want an office visit before scheduling the endoscopy. I also have paperwork to get blood work and an appt to see my PCP about the blood work and get my letter of medical necessity. I also have a sleep study marked off, but need to clarify that because I don't snore or have sleep apnea. Did anyone have to do a sleep study without already having sleep issues? I really am hoping to avoid that one. Oh and of course I need to schedule my psych eval as well. Hoping to get that the same day as the NUT since they are close to each other but far from me. My surgeon also requires I attend two bariatirc surgery support groups which of course are only available at really awkward times as far as getting off from work to get there.

Anyone else out there feeling a bit overwhelmed by all that requirements from the surgeon as well as insurance? I just want to get through it all smoothly. I just really hope after all this work that my insurance approves me. Otherwise it will be a huge waste of time and money. I am going to stay positive for now. I meet all the requirements, so it shouldn't be an issue. But you know insurance companies will find any loop hole they can to save money!

One step at a time. Your doctors office should give you a list of what to do & orders for the tests you need. Trust me, time flies. Before you know it you'll be having surgery. :0)

I opened this post and went..... Oh I feel you! First off.... take a breath! I promise, you aren't going to forget! Do you have a patient navigator to work with? My patient navigator has been a God send and has kept me on track. If not it is OK! You know what you have to do, so first things first.... Make a list... a spread sheet.... a chalk board.... whatever you need to do to keep things contained. I had the full six months to get stuff done, so the first month I got 85% of the stuff done, and this past month (my last month) I hurried and got everything else done. You might want to at least call and make as many appointments as possible, I have heard of people being held up by one appointment that took 4 weeks or so to get into, I have never had that issue, however I had to do a sleep study, it took a couple weeks to get into and I had to do a follow up sleep study and both times they had to be read and that took a good 6 weeks start to finish. Everything else has been very quick. I have struggled with the weight loss, I had a 5lb loss requirement and a no gain (per my surgeon) I did gain a tiny amount (2#) which they weren't concerned with, they were watching for a big gain. So as I was coming up to my last appt (which was yesterday) I kind of freaked, I had 7 days to get down 5lbs and I was so worried I wouldn't do it, and then I would have to wait longer. I sucked it up, I knew I had to do it, I went low carb (cut all carbs but fruits and veggies) and lost 7.9# in one week. I am not stopping though, I had one cheat meal last night and started strong again this morning. I want to be down by my surgery day, I figure the less I weigh the less I need to loose and the better prepared I am for my surgery. You will be fine! Overwhelmed!!! yes!!! but you will be fine.

It is very overwhelming at first. I had 6 months to get everything done because I had to do nutrition classes per my insurance. My surgeon's PA gave me a binder with all of the requirements, options on where to to get my tests done and even a checkoff list to use. Once you get everything scheduled, it will go by in a breeze. Just take a calming breath and forge ahead. You totally got this!

I too felt overwhelmed after my consult. I kept looking at the list and thinking it was like climbing a mountain. So I decided to take one step at a time. I had my endoscopy consult yesterday and have my psych and nut scheduled next week. My endoscopy is scheduled for July 2nd and I will do labs the same day. Next week I will tackle scheduling more appointments, my office wants things in a sequential order. I am hoping for the best and trying not to stress. My tentative surgery date is July 29th. Just stick to your list and you will be fine. Good luck everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the encouragement. I am stayin pretty organized and I already have a few things scheduled. I am strewing because I would hate to have my insurance deny my claim because I missed something or did something wrong. I am sure my surgeons coordinator will mke sure everything is good to go before submitting though. I am just trying to get things done quickly so we can figure out a surgery date. I need to give my work plenty of notice since I will have to take an extended time off. I can't work with a lifting restriction and my surgeon does 8 weeks no lifting over 5lbs. >_<