Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've hit a wall... a BIG, brick, reinforced with steel, hard wall. I'm waist deep in the "full liquids phase" of my pre-op and have surgery scheduled for June 24th. For the most part, I've stuck to the diet to a "T". I have mashed up an avocado within an inch of it's life and eaten it, and during the first week, I would do full liquids and very lean Protein and veggies for 1 meal. I did fall off the wagon and land on my head one day, though. I called my husband crying and begging to cheat (with food, not cheat on him). We ordered pizza and I ate it and felt like crap. But NOW, in to week two, I'm beginning to waver. I need someone to tell me it's going to get better. Someone who has been there and done that. My husband is encouraging, but I need someone who's faced the full liquids demon, had their stomach chopped off, and is now skipping merrily on the other side to tell me "it DOES get better". Will it? I mean, I LOVE food. I love to think about it. Look at it. Smell it. Taste it. Watch shows about it. Plan trips around it. You get the picture... Please, please tell me it gets easier than this full liquids crap. I feel like if I have to suck down another nasty Protein Shake, sip another cup of broth, or listen to my husband and dog crunch REAL food then I'm going to need to be committed somewhere for mental instability! I feel like I'm losing my mind... HELP!!!!!

I feel for you. I did have to laugh at the dog's crunching irritating you, though--lol! I understand what you are saying. I think the best thing that you can do is to think of this as an investment in your future. When it bothered me to see other people eat, I would go in another room and get on this forum or watch TV somewhere else, or take a nap, or even better, go for a walk.

Hey sweet Aggie,

It DOES get better. I won't sugarcoat... The point that it does get better is different for everyone. I'm only 12 days out and now that I'm getting to start introducing food again... I'm more at peace with things. My dr didn't require a severe preop like yours... So I hurt for you. What gets better is you controlling the food issue... Not it controlling you. Minor slips are not going to tank this. Just get back on your wagon and do the best you can.

SIX MORE DAYS. YOU GOT THIS. :)

When it bothered me to see other people eat, I would go in another room and get on this forum or watch TV somewhere else, or take a nap, or even better, go for a walk.

My husband watching the food Network when I was on liquids!!!! Cannot handle it and I leave the room. :) lol

I'm on "full liquids" on the other side - for three more days! The difference on the post-op side is that your hunger has dissipated, making it easier to avoid those fast food commercials and your boyfriend chowing down on chicken nuggets next to you (oh...that was me tonight). There is a greater purpose for all of this, and we chose to do it! Stay strong, woman - YOU ARE WORTH IT!

P.S. Post-op? Protein shakes are still no fun to get down. But, you do it. Cuz your NUT said so.

I'm sitting here right now crying and reading this... Thanks for the encouragement. I just wish the surgery was tomorrow and I could be on the other side. Maybe there'd be a "light at the end of the tunnel (that wasn't a train carrying a load of people all crunching on foods that smell delicious)". I keep reading on here where people have slip-ups and others reply saying they're not committed or they aren't strong enough to follow what their doctor is telling them. I don't want to be a failure.

This is very normal. The first couple of weeks post op were frustrating to me as well. I actually spent that time watching food network and searching the web. I put together recipes I wanted to try or modify for soft food and after. In a weird way it helped me

I cannot imagine it will be easy, but isn't it worth it, the end I mean? There are some things I truly enjoy and love, but you know what I will give those up for all of those "little things" we all think about not to mention to big things like health and happiness. You can do it.

HI, I am siting here envious that you have a surgery date and I don't. I can't wait to get to that 2 week pre op liquid diet because I will then know that all the homework, classes, testing a new life is awaiting me. All I can say, hang in here, be strong and know that it will all pay off in the end.

jayne

You are definitely going through the same thing we have all been through. The liquid diet serves 2 purposes. One to shrink the liver and 2 to make you realize your food dependencies before the surgery. It is the toughest of the 2 purposes. I can't tell you how many times I wanted to eat food. I will even admit to chewing and spitting out!! I had to do the 2 weeks of liquids and every 3rd or 4th day I would have a small lean piece of meat with some steamed vegetables or Tomato slices. This helped me get through the pre op. After the surgery your hunger goes away. I have not had a moment of hunger since the surgery. BUT I have had food cravings that drove me crazy!!! I am now on day 10 post op and it is getting easier. I too have been combing through recipes and websites for foods that I can have soon. I have been keeping up with my Protein and close to the liquid amounts and have had a few soft food items that would be gentle. It will be okay......you can do this. The best thing you can do is start looking for other avenues to take your focus off food. That is why you go through this before the surgery. You are prepared for it after the surgery and your recovery will go smoother. Just think of that weight and inches coming off!! I always tell everyone to try Premier Protein shakes and Sam's and costco. Also go to www.mybariatricpantry.com and they have sample packs you can try I would suggest the Syntax nectar and their mint cookie protein powder........that stuff is good!! Best of luck and remember we are here to help you when you are down!! :)

You are NOT a failure Aggie. You are a lovely human, who is being tested greatly at the moment. :) You are soooo close! It's okay to cry. Some of the chatter you must ignore.... You are the only person familiar with your exact situation.

Dry your eyes sweets and go drink some yummy Water... lol... (It stinks post op too! Once you transition to mush/soft, you will be so proud of yourself!) You are stronger than you think you are.

How do you swim the ocean? Just keep swimming.... Just keep swimming.

Aggie love,

Crazypants

I think you have to take some advice from another support group. "Just take one day a time" Break it down even farther if you have to do it to make it through it. Don't look at the big picture. And "if" you have a slip up, don't beat yourself up about it. Put it behind you and go on with the plan. And, definitely, give yourself a reward before you go in for surgery. NOT a food reward, put maybe a pedicure, a new shirt that is one size smaller than what you wear now, a massage, something that will give this all meaning. Just like a real job where you get a paycheck at the end of the week, pay yourself for working hard and getting through this phase. You can choose to control what you eat or continue to let food control you!

You guys are AWESOME! I'm just SO worried that I can't do this... My husband (who just got done crunching on his yummy dinner) told me "just make it to tomorrow, and THEN call the dr's office". Thankfully, it's almost bedtime, but I just look ahead and see that I have 6 MORE DAYS OF THIS!!! You guys are all SUCH an inspiration! (in my hubs defense, he DID offer to make me some Soup even thought I threatened to shove the soup "where the sun might not shine", he tried). A little confession here, I CAN'T STAND the NUT. She's very strange and sort of condescending. I feel like I should already know all this already. But all that has just gone out the window (along with what I fear is my sanity).

ppasjm, that's GOOD!!! I like the paycheck comparison! I shall look in to doing that (IF I SURVIVE THIS)

CRAZYPANTS, you are WONDERFUL!!! THANK YOU for your words!