Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you get your protein in a day

It been so long with NUT on how to get in 78 gm if Protein a day and I was wonder how do you do your meals on getting the protein. My sleeve date is the 19 of June . I remember Dr. Cooper ( my surgeon ) saying 3 meals a day. On here I been hearing Protein Drinks count as a meal, then it would be hard staying at 4oz a meal (2oz protein ) I can't find my paper where we went over it on the protein part. Any help please for this lame brain....

I am just passed 4 weeks and have been on pureed food for a week. I am allowed 3 meals of 1 1/2 ounces of pureed foods. I was told by my NUT that shakes are now considered liquids.

Hope this helps!

Good luck to you! You get sleeved on my birthday! I was sleeved June 3. I am not much help because I am having a really hard time getting Protein in! In the beginning you won't be eating much at all! Liquids only. After a few days I was able to drink Protein Drinks and I have been adding Protein Powder to my Jello. Still no where close to where I need to be. I talked to the nurse yesterday and she recommended Isopure but everyone keeps saying they are nasty!

My doc said 3 meals or 5 small ones. In the beginning I felt like I was eating all day because you can only get in small amounts at a time. As you progress things will change and depending on how you feel you will adjust how often you eat. I'm 6 months and try to eat eggs , cottage cheese , cheese sticks , lentils , milk , Greek yogurt, turkey deli smoked ,chicken , meat , fish , shrimp ,beans(black, red, white, fava , garbanzo) one of these at each meal and add a little salad or veggies on the side. For the first month I lived on Protein Shakes, chicken flavored Protein powder unjury.com , yogurt drinks(salt ,garlic ,water, plus yogurt in blender),cottage cheese,greek yogurt. I tried the Protein Shots that are 3oz packed with 22grams of protein I couldn't do it!!! tastes horrible! I even went back and got whey a more expensive and supposedly better tasting it was still bad! Keeping track of your intake with pen and paper or myfitnesspal.com is what really helps me keep track of my protein. Congrats on your surgery :)

At 8 weeks out, I'm still not getting enough Protein. Visiting my NUT this week, she suggested the following Snacks. 1/4 cup almonds, greek yogurt, and 1/2 a high Protein Bar (20g +) 2x a day. During the liquid and pureed stage, I was told to keep on trying to reach the daily protein goal, but she admitted that she didn't expect me to get there for a few weeks. Keep working at it!

The first three weeks I lived on Protein drinks, broth, and Water and had a hard time getting in the protein. When I went to the pureed stage I added in 1 New Whey protein shot to my diet to help get me there. They have 42 Grams of protein in 3.1 oz shot. I would suggest drinking it over about an hour time frame otherwise its to much protein all at once.

That's what my NUT said too; I was wondering how others did it; like eggs in the morning, chicken for lunch , fish for dinner plus Protein Drink in between those meals, if you don't hit your number do you drink another Protein Shake?

Early out I had two Protein shakes a day and I made them with Soy Milk to get another 9 grams of Protein. I like the GNC Gold Standard Whey. It's 24 grams of protein in a scoop. So with the Soy Milk it was 33 grams of protein for each shake.

After a while, I was able to cut back to one shake per day and finally I was able to eat enough to get enough protein without a shake.

I also ate greek yogurt (23 grams per cup), moist chicken breast (7 grams per ounce), crab meat, shrimp, and fish.

Lynda

Oh and I had the Protein shake for Breakfast and then after dinner.

So a typical day early:

Protein Shake for Breakfast

1-2 oz. meat and a bite of veggies for lunch and dinner

Protein shake around 8 p.m.

Lynda

I've been having one can of Protein Shake (35 g protein) and one bottle of Isopure (40 g protein) every day, and then adding in whatever I feel like as far as Soup, yogurt, Jello, or pudding. I know between the shake and the Isopure I am almost at my Protein goal, so I don't stress out about my meals and just eat what seems good at the moment. I also wanted to add that I tried all the flavors of Isopure, and the ONLY one I can drink is Alpine Punch- the rest were just terrible to me, and the only way I can drink the Isopure is watering it down- 50% Water and 50% Isopure- it makes a really big difference in the taste.

I have been adding 1/2 - 1 scoop of unflavored Protein powder to my Protein Shakes. 1 scoop is 28 grams of protein!

It been so long with NUT on how to get in 78 gm if Protein a day and I was wonder how do you do your meals on getting the Protein. My sleeve date is the 19 of June . I remember Dr. Cooper ( my surgeon ) saying 3 meals a day. On here I been hearing Protein drinks count as a meal, then it would be hard staying at 4oz a meal (2oz protein ) I can't find my paper where we went over it on the protein part. Any help please for this lame brain....

As soon as you get off liquids and full liquids, it is easier. My "go to" foods early on....and even today to some extent.

For just over three years, I start and end each day with a cup of skim milk. (9 grams)

tuna fish - I mix one can with 2 TB of Miracle Whip. One fourth cup is about 13 grams of protein.

I keep a bag of frozen shrimp in the freezer. Fish goes down the easiest and this is packed with protein. I liked to steam it and dip it in a little cocktail sauce.

1% cottage cheese - you will not eat 1/2 cup for quite a while I suspect, but a half cup is 13 grams of protein.

eggs, a scrambled egg and once in a while I'd add a half oz of 2% cheddar

It's a job, but it CAN be done. I stopped using any protein supplement at 2.5 months. I hated those things!!! If you're not on My Fitness Pal, get on and log your food, make it a habit, a part of your new life, and weigh every day. I was up two pounds yesterday and so today, I am cutting calories by 100 and it will be gone in a few days. Use logging your food, weighing yourself and weighing or measuring your food like a "dashboard" - all those things keep everything running smoothly and will also let you know if something needs to be changed. These things let you know what's going on under the hood.....:) This is my new life, habits, just like breathing. Good luck, you'll do Great!

That's what my NUT said too; I was wondering how others did it; like eggs in the morning, chicken for lunch , fish for dinner plus Protein drink in between those meals, if you don't hit your number do you drink another Protein shake?

I heard the same thing about Protein Shots, but I used them, only 3.5 oz, still just as nasty, but so little to get down. I had a sample in my going away bag from the hospital. 42 grams of Protein, a few sips in the morning, hold your nose and rinse your mouth out, just like a kid taking bad tasting meds.....a few sips at lunch and then I'd finish it off in the evening. I had good labs, lost weight and NEVER lost any hair!!! I called it a win/win!!! It worked for me and beat getting less than half of what I needed because I was sending 3 hours trying to gag down a Protein Shake or *gag* Isopure!!!! Like I said, it worked for me.....it is why I worked and worked on getting all my protein in with food....and managed to do it pretty early on.

im writing to you from indiaand im a vegetarian so its been really hard to get my Proteins but what i did was boil half cup piggeon pea lentil with five times Water and salt and drink that throughout the day during clear liquid stage and then drink the lentil itself during full liquid stage.the other thing i did during clear liquid stage was mix one tbsp yogurt with water and salt and blend and drink that for protein.during mushy food stge it was yogurt,lentils,boiled egg and greek yogurt and cottage cheese for me.at thid stage i was able to find chocolate flavour Protein Shake by GNC which saved my life.all the best to you.