Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pull ups... what is a realistic time line?

So, now that I'm at (below) goal, I want to get a 'bucket list' item checked off and do a pull up. Have never done one before, even when young and fit. Certainly wasn't even going to try at 362. But now that I'm down near college weight again and more focused than I was at 19, I'd like to build up to that.

Tried one over the weekend and could only get about halfway up. I've found a number of sites with various exercises to build up to it, but what's a realistic time line?

And any general advice? A chinup would count too. :) I'm 6'6", 42, and thanks to the elliptical, much better in cardiovascular than I ever dreamed I'd be. But obviously, my arms need some work.

I'm in the same (but much shorter) boat!

I'm 5'4", 182 lbs and 43 years old and I've never done a pull-up or chin-up either. And have always wanted to!

I'm still 46 lbs from goal, so realistically, I may get to goal around the same time I get to a pull-up (could be 10 months from now.....). I'm willing to put in the time/sweat/tears to do it.

I completely lack upper body strength. That really has come home to roost since I started playing softball in May. Wow, I cannot throw very far or even slightly hard without it hurting and showing up big-time the next day! If I can't throw a ball, what makes me think I can ever pull up 180+ lbs in a pull-up?

I DO!

Hard work. I'm ready. Some advice on where to start and how to build it up without tearing myself down too much at first please..........

Can't lie... Thought this thread was about diapers XD

Come to think of it, I haven't done a pull up since elementary school and the monkey bars! Good goal, OP!

Congrats on being below goal and your bucket list.

Sorry I can't help you with your questions but chuckled when I saw the subject and thought ''a post about toddler diapers?'" :)

I have NO CLUE how to build up to it... maybe push-ups to build up the strength first?

I am in the same boat. never could do one but its one of the things I want to do. I am at the gym every day lifting or running. The pull down mechine I can do about 150 4 or 5 times. So I figure if I can do 200 1 time when I get to 200lbs I should be able to do one. right? I dont know start hitting the weights.

At the rate I'm going, I may be in diapers again before I can do one.

Before my sleeve, I could get maybe 2, but never really concentrated on improving them before surgery. I don't do chin ups (palms facing you) because that seems to incorporate more biceps than I prefer and I want to concentrate on my upper back and lats. So what works best for me on my upper back and lats are the pullups (palms facing away from you) with medium to wide grip. But it's all a matter of preference. If someone is limited and can only workout once or twice a week, chin ups may be best since it uses more muscles. If wanting to concentrate on your upper back and lats to do pullups, just think of the hands and arms as attachments only and focus on the upper back and lats doing the pulling. It takes some practice to be able to do this if you've not performed many pullups in the past.

As for building up, just be patient and not afraid to use the assisted pullup machine for a while. It's a long progression, but it's one that I have noted and kept track of since being sleeved as it was a big goal of mine in the weightroom after surgery. I do them twice a week and I am listing out my progression over the past 17-18 months since I've been sleeved. Not saying this will be everyone's time frame, just saying that it can eventually be improved. I went from doing maybe two with just my body weight and now do my body weight 18/19 reps at a time.

-Just prior to my sleeve..........able to do 1 or 2 reps with body weight

-2 months after my sleeve......able to do 2 reps with body weight

Started using the assisted pullup machine and did 6-10 reps for 4 sets about twice a week and tested myself about once every other week on how many I could do with my body weight.

-4 months post-op...................able to do 5-6 reps with body weight

Once I got to where I could do 5-6 reps without assistance, I just used my body weight to train twice a week, 5-6 reps for about 4 sets each session

-6 months post-op....................able to do 6-10 reps with body weight

At this point, I still did pullups twice a week, but wanted to stay in the 6-10 rep range. So my first set, I put a 10 pound weight in my backpack, strapped it on and did 4-6 pullups with the backpack on. (You can also use a chain around the waist or hold a dumbbell with your feet but that one is difficult and can cause you to lose focus)

-12 months post op...................able to do 10-14 reps with body weight

Still doing pullups twice a week, but using additional weight (10-25 pounds) when doing workout sets.

-Currently..................................I did 19 reps the other day, but 17/18 is about my average.

Still doing pullups twice a week (at least 4 sets each time) and usually train with a 25 pound plate strapped around my waist.

*I rarely train with the lat pull down machine, it's similar motion, but still a bit of a different lift since you're pulling something down instead of pulling yourself up. It's probably a good way to work up to doing a pullup. But once you can do a few, I would stick with just training with pullups or assisted pullups.

Please don't get discouraged if you can't do any at the beginning or if you are worried about what the people in the gym might think. I think that's why a lot of people don't try to do them. Who cares what anyone else thinks, if you want to do pullups, do them, be persistent, work hard and keep the end goal in mind. I'm thinking about taking it to another level (3 times a week) and attaching a pullup bar in my garage.

And any general advice? A chinup would count too. :) I'm 6'6", 42, and thanks to the elliptical, much better in cardiovascular than I ever dreamed I'd be. But obviously, my arms need some work.

"Jeff", I'm 6-3 and I know the taller you are, the longer you have to go.... assuming your arms are proportional to the rest of your body. Lifting for taller guys is a little tougher and you being 6-6.....wow......that's a long way to go to get your face up to the pullup bar! But hang in there, keep at it and you'll be fine!

My only suggestion at this point is to modify the heck out of the pull up or chin up. These are probably the single most difficult body weight exercise!!

You can modify by using bands looped over the bar which your left or right foot sits in, depending on your dominant side. For me, i put the band around my left foot because i am right side dominant. Thicker or more bands will help you get up and over the bar. It is a bit of an application of elasticity To reduce the effect of gravity on your exercise. Use a box to help get into the band and start the exercise. Keep your hands further apart to engage your back and lat muscles. This is key. Do not try and get yourself over the bar with your arms alone. It won't happen.

Start out trying to get one, then 3, then 5 and then 10. if you can do a set of 10, pat yourself on the back. great job! Now try and do 3 sets of 10. I am almost to the point where I can do 30 (3 sets of 10) unbanded pull-ups and chin ups, but it has been months of using bands. Practice, practice and practice these as much as you can. My weekly workout routine has me doing pull-ups 2x a week. Once You can comfortably do pull ups and chin ups without bands or a box, try advancing onto the rope climbs. This is where I am heading next.

Really great suggestions aroundhky!!

I bought some pull up assistance bands and they have really helped I can now do 8 - 10 with body weight

Excellent!!

Thank you all! Sorry for the delayed response. Crazy day or two at work. I've never heard of these elastic assists. Will definitely have to look for those!

I've started doing dumbbell rows with a 30-lb. weight, 3 sets of 8-10 reps, 3-4 times a week, just to start. Maybe if I give those elastics a try, that is prefered for every other session or something like that.

Really appreciate this advice!

I bought some pull up assistance bands and they have really helped I can now do 8 - 10 with body weight

Great job "bigcountry"! Feels good doesn't it??? Keep up the good work!!