Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just got my date --- Friday, May 31st. Excited, scared, anxious, hopeful, ready! I go in for my pre-op testing and class on May 20th. I'm required to do a 3 day liquid diet prior to surgery so Memorial Day will be my last hurrah although not planning on doing anything stupid. Praying that everything goes smoothly and that I'm healthy (and maybe smoking hot) by summer 2014!!! I've been working out with a personal trainer for a couple years now - 3x/week - so pretty good on the exercise front. Hope I can dive back in not too long after surgery. I'm kinda anxious about never getting to eat some of my favorite foods perhaps ever again but fit and healthy will surely taste soooo much better.

Congrats to my fellow May sleevers - looking forward to giving and receiving support as we continue on our journeys. :-)

Hi my surgery is May 29th. Your post had the closest date to my surgery. I live in Los Angeles, CA. I also have to go to a class on the 20th for post op instructions. Congratulations and hope you have a speedy recovery.

Hi there-thanks for reaching out. Hope your surgery goes well and that you have a speedy recovery as well. Would like to hear what they tell you in your pre-op class - I'll share the scoop from mine as well.

Lol yes we'll compare and contrast notes. I had to take a nutrition class a few months back but I decided to retake it next week to refreshen my memory too

Hi there sorry to bug but I was wondering if you had any questions for when you go to your pre op class. I was going to ask if there was anything we can take after for Hair loss ,since it seems like it will be an issue, and also i was told to have about 80-120g of Protein a day but how many calories should we consume a day. Those are my questions just wondering if you had any so I can ask as well. Thanks.

I hadn't thought about it yet but will let you know. I think the lack of Protein is what causes the Hair loss but it's a good question. I found a lot of good information on this site about what to eat and when-that's my biggest question. Also wondering if Ill be able to get my current medications down. How are you feeling? I'm getting kinda scared but not enough to back out. I'm trying not to tell anyone about the surgery but I'm a very social person (happy hours, dinner, etc that it's gonna be hard to hide that I'm. It really eating or drinking. May have to come clean but not until after.

I'm feeling good trying not to over think it just keeping busy by gathering information. It'll probably hit me when I wake up the morning of. Are you having it here in the US or in Mexico? Where you from?

That's a good plan. I'm having in US. I'm in St Louis, MO-going with a local surgeon. Luckily, mine is covered by insurance. How about you?

Yeah I'm having it done here in Los Angeles, CA. Mine was also covered by my insurance. I don't think i could do it in Mexico but i was surprised to see how many people get it.

16 days and counting!!!!! Just want to do this already!!! Still need to get prepared, though.

Lol 14 for me but i know what you mean lol just want to start losing already

Are you going on any liquid diet before the surgery? Ive seen allot of people doing it but my doctor didnt mention anything about it

I will have to do a 3 day liquid diet starting May 28. I'm not looking forward to it but am grateful it's only 3 days. I've noticed some people have to do it for 2 weeks or more. You may want to ask. My understanding is that it helps to shrink your liver which apparently can make the surgery easier for the Dr. Let me know what you find out. :-)

Yeah i looked into that and someone said that it doesn't make that much of a difference. But i have a nutrition class on Monday and I'll ask then

MizzouGirl... we will be sleeve sisters. My date is May 31st as well. Congratulations and I wish you much success!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches