Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please tell me it isn't true?

I just saw a vlog on Youtube & the person said that anxiety & panic attacks are a common side effect with WLS?! Please tell me this isn't so! I'm getting worked up again, sorry.

I'm pretty sure that is for people who already have anxiety issues.

I did a lot of reading before my surgery and this the the first I am hearing about this.. If anything my anxiety have improved a lot.

Thank you so much guys! I've been searching & lurking for a year now & that was the very 1st time I've heard of it too!?

I hate to be the one to say I unfortunately am one of those unfortunate people. I always had anxiety but it has been worse lately , I am trying to work thru it, I hate it and it really bothers me. I am 2 1/2 weeks post op. Anyone else with this issue would love to hear from u with any advice....

I have only read where the anxiety and such gets much worse AFTER surgery, but nothing about it causing any issues such as that.

Sorry Yazzy! I had anxiety about 16yrs ago, on meds & it was pure hell! Never really had it since then & haven't taken any meds for about 15yrs. I just don't want to worry about this, this process is so stressful enough!

Thanx. I dont want you to worry about it. I will get thru this and this tooo shall pass . I gonna work on it ,,thats my goal.I do have alot on my pjate right now so I think this is my stresser and soon things will fall nto place . By the grace of God. I wish you all the luck with your journey!!!!

I was told it may help improve anxiety. Being healthier may trigger the mind to improve endorphins.

I have anxiety and panic attacks. It was bad in 2004. I still have them sometimes. I can't promise you that I won't have one next week. I just know my faith is strong, I will trust God, and I am getting this surgery.

Part of this, if it is true, is the "prison syndrome". When freedom suddenly returns, many new options present themselves causing anxiety. In prison choices were more or less pre-determined. Now new power is in your hands, with power comes responsibility.

Now you have a slim body and more energy. What are you going to do with it? You can't hide behind the fat bars anymore. You can make changes, some of them drastic. Your relationships, your career, your morals, everything needs to be re-evaluated or reinstated.

If you don't have your values in place before you get out you will have to decide what they are once you are free. Can you cope and thrive in freedom and be a blessing to yourself and those around you or will you retreat and find a way to put yourself back into bondage?

Well since many of us use food as something to calm ourselves down and comfort us, not being able to do that might cause anxiety for some. I literally burst into tears and my heart was racing on more than one occasion during my 3 month preop diet because I "needed" certain foods.

My grandmother used to mix Peanut Butter, honey, cocoa powder and coconut and keep it in a jar and call it her "nerve candy" She was using food to soothe her nerves. We ALL knew that we were welcome to anything at Grandma's house, EXCEPT we'd better not touch her "nerve candy". It was literally her drug of choice and if you took that away she'd be a basket case.

Nope. First I've heard of this!

I've had panic attack disorder since I was 19. I have not not any issues. Actually I feel a lot better! That's just my experience. I'm sorry for the people that its gotten worse for...it really is a horrible, horrible affliction...

I could see that being the case during the first two months. Once everything is back to normal and you feel better, you should be fine. I didn't get anxiety, but I was on edge and had no patience. I'm 5 months out now and happier than I've ever been! I'm even more outgoing! This is the best thing I've done for myself!

Thanks everyone for sharing! I haven't had one in 15yrs but the thought.....UGH, it's a little frightening! I won't know how I will feel after surgery...it's the fear of the unknown that I'm worried about.

Honestly THIS wasn't an issue until I saw that damn vlog! Maybe I need to take a little break from the internet? :unsure: