Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Finally feeling the "feeling"

I was sleeved 5 weeks ago. I've done pretty well. I didn't have erosion, but because of the band my stomach where the pouch was is super thin. Because of that my doc had to make my sleeve a little larger than normal. I worried that I wouldn't have as much success. From the beginning, fluids and full liquids were no problem. I do have a "funnel" effect because of the larger top, but all liquids go down with no problem. I'm on the pureed stage and until today those have been going down with no problems. I worried that I could eat too much as I can eat more than the average sleever according to posts on here; however, last night and today I finally feel what everyone is talking about. I feel full and almost uncomfortable. Last night I tried a few bites of pureed roast and gravy. I'm guessing it's the beef and even though it was pureed, I could tell almost right away it wasn't going to work. I felt discomfort in my left shoulder. Then tonight I mixed up some tuna salad (which I've eaten before just fine) and some super soft, blenderized mac n cheese (made light with Unjury cheese powder) mixed together which equaled about 1/2 a cup. I'm not sure if it was the Pasta or if it was too much. I guess as I progress to more normal foods I will get a better feel for my sleeve. I don't know, it's so different from having the band that I don't know what I'm feeling. I've hit a stall and I just don't want my slightly larger sleeve to reduce my weight loss. Any thoughts?

Stay away from Pasta and try to concentrate on Protein and veggies.

Jackie is right. As banders, we know all too well how hard Pasta and carbs can be to work through a small opening!! ;)

But more importantly, don't worry!! You'll put more stress on yourself than you need. You've been through this before. Weight loss surgery is hardest in the very beginning as you learn what you can and cannot handle. So early out, just stick with the foods you know you can eat that make you full. And as you heal, some foods make work one day, but not the next, and the be fine again, same as with the band!! But just remember that you've done this before and you CAN do it again!! In fact, I think you've got a leg up on everyone else emotionally because you've already been here before.

Take it slow and easy and I think you'll find it becomes easier the further out you get. Talk to your NUT and your docs, and stick to your plan. And I wouldn't worry about having a little bit larger stomach. I would freak out if I heard that too, but the reality is, you still lost the majority of your stomach and if you stick to the plan, you will see results, just like everyone else!!! Let us know how you're doing!! Thinking of you!!

Thanks for the kind words, Kristina. And yeah, I made the decision last night to not do Pasta again. It's on my list of approved foods, but it's just not worth it. I'm really careful about carbs, but I just wanted to try something different. Thanks again!

You can do it! I haven't had my surgery yet...I'm really very nervous. April 2nd is my date. I still haven't decided sleeve or bypass. I will meet with my Doc on Friday and make my final decision. Why did you decide on the sleeve?

My doc spoke to me about the bypass after my band failed, but he also thought I'd have success with the sleeve. I just didn't want to go the bypass route. That just seemed too drastic to me. Removing most of my stomach was scary enough. Good luck with your decision. Let us know what you decide.

I agree. I thought the sleeve was as drastic as I cared to Go. Plus I have a friend who got a bypass and she has always looked so unhealthy.. Like she's lacking nutrients and is dull. Even her long hair now looks like its brittle. Could be from lack of vitimin absorption as most bypass patients suffer from. I never asked her. She is on lifetime meds too