Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is it selfish the only reason why I want to get sleeved is to have a baby? My dr told me he won't help with infertility until I lose 100lbs.

Do you think it is selfish? Do you feel like once you have the baby you will give up and most likely gain the weight back? I honestly feel we all have our reasons for WLS. I want to be healthy, I really do, but I would be lying if I didn't say that I secretly searched for clothes online, and longingly looked at the shoes in the store and dream of the day I can wear them. I would say that I hope that once you loose the weight you realize how great you feel, and how badly you want to stay that way, not only for you, but that baby. Do I think it is selfish? No, I would imagine you aren't the first and definitely not the last.

I don't think it's selfish at all... Do you think people who do IVF or have fertility treatments are selfish? To me it's very similar, you are doing what you can to get healthy and be able to have a baby. One of the main reasons I decided to get this surgery was because my OBGYN recommended it... He was concerned about my fertility. If that had not been an issue I don't think I would have ever had the guts to have this surgery. Yes, it was very scary, but you know what scared me more? Not being able to have babies. Good luck in your decision!!

When you think about, is there any altruistic reason to get VSG? I mean, we are doing it for ourselves, which by definition I guess is selfish. It's not like we can bring about world peace from getting sleeved. Not trying to make light of your question--I'm just not sure I understand it. But I think that it's a good goal to lose weight before you get pregnant! You may not even need infertility tx after you do. In fact, make sure you use a back-up BC until your doctor says it's safe to get pregnant so you don't get a surprise....

Is it selfish the only reason why I want to get sleeved is to have a baby?

princesx01

losing weight to become pregnant is a common reason on the board to have WLS

once losing the weight, it is easier to get pregnant

btw fyi - many docs want you to wait a couple of years before you get pregnant - for health reasons they say its better to wait (all docs are different)

for me - it was just easier to become a grammy :lol: :lol:

anyways, as mentioned above - i'm sure having a baby isn't the ONLY reason you want surgery, right???

you want to get healthy and live longer for that bundle of joy

"selfish" primary reason for WLS is pregnancy ???- guess its ok - but be thrilled with the other benefits

if you do have WLS- keep working the sleeve with your proper eating, drinking et al for the rest of your life

you want to be able to run after he/she while they are a toddler, or when he/she is a teen-ager - and you "need" to run after them before they "go out to play"!!! ;)

you'll love becoming a loser - cuz then you are a true winner ;)

good luck!!!!

I will be having the surgery to get pregnant and have a baby. I'm well aware of the time you have to wait before starting to conceive, but I was also told by my OBGYN that I needed to loose weight if I didn't want to have another miscarriage (I have had 2).

I had surgery because I had been trying for year to loose enough weight to feel like I could have a healthy pregnancy, but was never able to be successful on my own. I don't think it's selfish if you are really looking to make a change in your life and are committed.

I actually had VSG surgery nearly 3 years ago and my main reason was to pregnant. I had tried using fertility meds for quite awhile and was never able to get pregnant. I knew in my heart it was because I was nearly 300lbs.

About 10 months after surgery I was down 85lbs and figured that we should try again with our fertility Doc. and I had a week or so of fertility shots, then iui and in 10 days found out I was pregnant (and actually in a few weeks found out I was having twins!).

VSG was the best decision I ever made! It gave me the two most beautiful Children and its completely worth it. You'll be healthier for your pregnancy and have less chance of miscarriage!

I will say that since getting pregnant and having them, I have completely fallen off the wagon with my food. I used to eat really well before getting pregnant but whole pregnant my craving for carbs was crazy and being that I was carrying twins, I could eat anything...so I did. I completely regret that! I am still the same weight as I was before getting pregnant, but haven't lost any and can't seem to get back to the mostly Protein diet. I'm hungry all the time, I want carbs constantly and crave sweets.

So definitely have the surgery to get pregnant, but try to stay on the diet while pregnant because its crazy once you go back to your old habits. It was easy to kick all the junk foods after surgery because I wasn't hungry, but now I want to eat all the time so ya hard to stay away from the chips and junk! If I could I would do the surgery again just cuz I feel like I've stretched out my stomach from all the bad eating.

Thanks ladies of course my #1 goal is to become healthy and be able to maintain a healthy eating and living style. And my biggest fear growing up is that I won't ever have kids, I want at least one!