Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need some comments please: I had VSG 3 years ago (Dr Aceves - he was WONDERFUL). I'm over 60 and need some surgery that will require being under for about 2 hours.

I'm nervous because I'm worried that the VSG might interfer with the anesthesia??? I'm so worried I'm thinking of cancelling the surgery. Anyone out there have surgery after

the VSG? Thanks.

no need to worry, really, aside from being worried about having surgery period ;-) I had a total hysterectomy 3 months after having my VSG and just had other surgery a month ago, just a year post-op. Just make sure the surgeon and staff know you only have 85% of your stomach, in case they need to do any stomach scopes or anything to do with your stomach. Good luck!

Having a smaller stomach should have nothing to do with being under anesthesia. Good Luck with your surgery.

I have been under 3 times since my VSG. Not a problem. As Amazon points out, having a smaller stomach is completely unrelated. If anything, it actually helps the anesthesiologist know that you have been put under before. That is the biggest factor they worry about. Putting someone under who has never been under before.

I need to have 2 surgeries..,the VSG and a cervical spinal fusion. My neuro guy thought it would be best to have the VSG first but to wait until I was well-healed. He didn't seem concerned at all about it, as long as I was taking in adequate Protein.

Deborah

Thanks so much everyone for your replies. I have NOT told my surgeon yet that I have had a VSG - I know, I know. I need to do that. It's just that everytime I mention it to a doctor they raise their eyebrows and THEN when they find out it was done in Mexico - wow! They REALLY raise their eyebrows. I have to get going on this. Again - thanks so much - I am so glad to have someone that has been through the same thing to be able to bounce this off of.

I had my VSG last April. In November (the day before Thanksgiving) I fell down basement stairs and broke my ankle in 4 places and broke my wrist and had to have surgery. That was the 1st thing I told medics to write down in case it was important and if I passed out and had to have surgery. I didn't know if it had anything to do with anything but I wanted to take no chances at all. I had surgery 3 days later. The doctor never asked where. I did fine as far as the anesthesia goes while under. I had a long time coming out of it and for some reason I was very scared and cried a lot but that had nothing to do with the VSG. I also had mine done in Mexico and I always hear a gasp from people once they ask me where I did it and I tell them. I think it's funny. Mine gain that I found Dr. Kelly there. My niece had it done at the same time as me and we live in a very small town. When she told her doctor he was very happy for her and said he had heard of other people doing this there and asked for the doctor's name so he could refer other patients there. So not all doctors think that way. :) Any time I will need any medical attention I will tell them I had a VSG done so there is no danger in anything happening...I don't care what they think if it's negative, that is their problem. I would highly recommend where I went to anyone looking for a VSG with no insurance. :) Don't worry, just make sure they know.