Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fast Food Break Through!

So, I'm 13wks out. Lots and lots of changes happening since my VSG surgery. I have noticed that I feel cold alot, and I have the sensory smell of a pregnant woman...which leads me to my topic today. I never thought I would reach the "lose the crave" phase of my recovery. Well fellow sleevers, I'm here today to say that it's a real thing. I'm a junk food junkie, loved fast food, and a straight carb-a-holic. I love french fries, nachos, tacos, burgers, chili dogs, etc....for the first time since surgery I have lost the craving for fast food stuff. With my new "pregnancy sense of smell" my stomach turns with certain odors. While working one day last week a mom of several tiny tots came in and had stopped at Jack in the Box to feed her brood. The smell of those once glorious curly fries TURNED MY STOMACH!!! YES!!! The freshly fried taters were turning me green so much that I had to close my "window" to the lobby so that I could breathe! Slowly but surely I've noticed that this is happening w/many other bad foods that I once treasured (although sometimes my brain still thinks I want it). Anyone else had this happen? Is it hormonal or chemical? It happens quite often w/things non-food related as well - i.e. cigarette/cigar smoke.

In other news, DOWN 22 LBS and go for my 3mnth follow up next week.

Keep on Truckin' sleevers...it's a long road, but stay at the ready!

HAPPY MONDAY!

Congrats on the success. I guess I'm lucky in not having any real carb cravings after surgery.

So' date=' I'm 13wks out. Lots and lots of changes happening since my VSG surgery. I have noticed that I feel cold alot, and I have the sensory smell of a pregnant woman...which leads me to my topic today. I never thought I would reach the "lose the crave" phase of my recovery. Well fellow sleevers, I'm here today to say that it's a real thing. I'm a junk food junkie, loved fast food, and a straight carb-a-holic. I love french fries, nachos, tacos, burgers, chili dogs, etc....for the first time since surgery I have lost the craving for fast food stuff. With my new "pregnancy sense of smell" my stomach turns with certain odors. While working one day last week a mom of several tiny tots came in and had stopped at Jack in the Box to feed her brood. The smell of those once glorious curly fries TURNED MY STOMACH!!! YES!!! The freshly fried taters were turning me green so much that I had to close my "window" to the lobby so that I could breathe! Slowly but surely I've noticed that this is happening w/many other bad foods that I once treasured (although sometimes my brain still thinks I want it). Anyone else had this happen? Is it hormonal or chemical? It happens quite often w/things non-food related as well - i.e. cigarette/cigar smoke.

In other news, DOWN 22 LBS and go for my 3mnth follow up next week.

Keep on Truckin' sleevers...it's a long road, but stay at the ready!

HAPPY MONDAY![/quote']

Ha! That is one amazing accomplishment!!! Good for you! And congrats on the loss!

MsLissa12, congrats on your success! And, I too have had similar reactions to greasy fast food! My kids call my heightened sense of smell my Super Smell, and I am 6 months out! If the kids get fries, I just think they smell very yucky! I really think this is an awesome thing! Fast food items I really used to like I cannot even look at now. Since surger I have not eaten at McDonald's, Sonic, Panda Express, KFC, etc. I have had the small cup of chili at Wendy's and ate half of it. I just logged it into myfitnesspal.

I have also found weirdly, that I crave things now I never would have before surgery. I did not eat asparagus at all before surgery and now I crave it with my fish, my chicken, shrimp or whatever! I like it with a little olive oil brushed on and a little garlic and lemon on it! It is so strange!

I also get colder that I ever did before, I wear a lot of trouser socks to work now!

Hang in there you are doing awesome!

It's funny how people say all these changes occur when in reality our stomachs are exactly the same just smaller. I think this is more a psychological change then a Physiological one then anything. It's absolutely fascinating! I'm a psych major and thinking i might do my dissertation on it! Except the cold, that for sure is cause we're skinny! Lol

I am looking forward to this stage! I have been able to resist more easily...maybe just one bite & want no more. But fries still smell yummy to me! :-(

It's funny how people say all these changes occur when in reality our stomachs are exactly the same just smaller. I think this is more a psychological change then a Physiological one then anything. It's absolutely fascinating! I'm a psych major and thinking i might do my dissertation on it! Except the cold, that for sure is cause we're skinny! Lol

Definitely something to look into...the mystery of mind over matter? lol

I know that chemical changes occur (because we have a smaller stomach), there are things that are missing that our body used to have there, and that somethings need to re-balance post op. And, YES, most of it is mental (the struggle w/re-learning our habits). My surgeon wrote a book that I read pre-surgery and it really helped give me some insight on the way VSG works, what to expect post-op, describing what the surgery is physically, and lastly how to effectively use it as a tool to learn to be healthier.