Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My timing is terrible - could use some advise

I saw the surgeon for my initial visit 2 days ago and it went really well. Actually it looks like I can get insurance approval rather easily and possibly have surgery as early as first of April.

Here is the problem... I just got confirmation today of a new job starting in mid March which will require several meetings and training, possibly out of state for a few days. Now I am thinking I should put this off until summer as because I also have a big vacation planned and paid for for mid May.

At first I was like...great! Lets get this rolling and I can be up and going by vacation time. But the confirmation on the job came and now I'm afraid with the stress of a new job (start up operation) it could make my post op more difficult. I was hoping I could work from home a few days after surgery and not really miss that many days. After reading posts on this forum I am now seeing that the first few weeks could be pretty tough and I may have to miss too much work for a brand new job (that I need to make a good impression at).

Am I biting off more than I can chew? (pun intended)

Thanks for your opinions.

Do it when the time is right for you. I could have had surgery in early Feb last year but postponed to April because I had to move March 1st and had a prepaid conference the first week of April. When I had surgery all that was behind me and I was able to move forward without any other commitments.

If it was me I would wait, mostly so that you can be more relaxed and at ease around the time of surgery. If you try to squeeze it in you'll probably be uptight worried about the new job and whether you'll be able to go on your (already paid for) vacation. If you wait you can then relax and put your energy into healing and starting a new way of life....

This is a hard one! I am now 12 days post op. I feel great and am ready to take on the world in a lot of ways. I am still a tiny bit tender but feel so much better already. If I knew you would feel this way too I would say, go for it!

However, no one knows how this surgery will be for them and so you have to do what is right for you. If it was me I would do it in April. But that is me. I could not wait to get on with the rest of my life. Best of luck whatever you decide to do!

well, there are a couple of things you can do. You can notify your job that you are going to be having surgery when you get your date and see if they will work with you in maybe pushing back your start date or whatever, sometimes its easier than you would think to do this.

There is also another thing though - You COULD start your job as scheduled, DO NOT MENTION THIS TO ANYONE at your job and at the last minute inform someone that you must have surgery (they do not have any right or authority to ask about the nature of the surgery - you can lead them to believe that its something of a more emergent nature like gallbladder or appendix) and there isn't technically a lot they can do about it.

It's up to you to decide how to proceed. Obviously one of these is more honest than the other, but sometimes we have to do what we have to do.

Well, since you asked....this is a life transforming surgery that will require lifestyle changes and adjustments all around...to your physical eating habits, as well as your emotional eating habits...I came through the surgery very well, going back to work after 2 weeks feeling great. I hope you have the same success with the surgery when you have it...in my opinion, I would wait until you can really focus all your energy on taking care of yourself and getting your mind as well as your body ready for the journey ahead. A new job, travels, as "good" as they are, are still stressful. Good luck on your journey whatever you decide!

It is a truly personal decision. If I thought about when the timing would be "right" for me it would never happen. On the other hand if I were starting a new job I would not take off or mention the surgery at all. I would wait and see if you are approved and if you can schedule surgery mid-March and push your start date off 2 weeks. I scheduled mine after a business trip, right before my boys birthdays, and I have another business trip 2 weeks after surgery. I have the option to work from home and I will use it if needed, but for now I've taken off a total of 5 days for the surgery. I'm playing it by ear. I figure things have a way of working out.

I am single and depend on a good job so i would have to do what was necessary to secure it. If starting the job and showing your skills and commitment a couple of months sets you up for a better relationship with your employer, and secures that job for you for years to come, then thats what you might need to do.

First let me say that you guys are AMAZING. I cannot get over how many of you reached out with some great advise and give me many things to consider.

I too am single and a good job is all the security I have so I may need to my primary focus on getting that going first. But I am one of these people that once I have my mind made up that I want to do something, I will do what is necessary to get it done.

But I am not a spring chicken by any means and need to be prepared for some possible setbacks so I may wait until the fall. In the meantime, keeping up Weight Watchers and Curves.

What happens if I loose enough weight to get my BMI down to around 30 something, would I still be eligable? I do have Type 2 Diabeties, High Blood Pressure and Colesteral, so assuming I would be. And then there is the insurance issue.. I have to figure that out as well.

Again, thanks to everyone. I look forward to getting more active in this website. I need to figure out how to get my picture to show first.

Just keep up the good work and you will lose, with or without the surgery. I did fantastic on Weight Watchers pre-op as my health insurance required 10% weight loss before approval. I was so committed, and did great.

I was 56 when I had surgery last year, so no Spring chicken either...best thing I ever did.

If you are self pay the low BMI shouldn't be a problem, but if using insurance, check the guidelines and maintain the BMI you need if you intend to ultimately have the surgery.

Good Luck!

Will your new insurance at the new job cover VSG at the same level that your current insurance does? (and with the same type of requirements--eg, is there a 6-month pre-op weight loss period, etc.). I would definitely take that into consideration. I thought I might be starting a new job when I was close to insurance approval and asked the surgeon's office if they could put in an expedited approval request. They did, and I was approved in one day (!). (My BMI is a lot higher than yours; I didn't have any major comorbidities.) Then I asked for the soonest possible surgery date and I received one about a month out; I had a scheduling conflict and asked to reschedule the surgery--and they were able to get me in the day after (!) I asked bc of someone else's surgery moving. It was weird only having one day to prepare but in a way it was great not having the anticipation and to be on the other side of it once my original surgery date came up.

Anyhow, I'm glad that I went ahead and did it. I didn't end up getting the job for which I was a finalist! But I thought it would have been difficult to start a new job, take time off right away, and have to negotiate new insurance and maybe go thru the approval process all over again.

As others have said, it's a personal decision. I do know a lot of people do this and say they wish they had done it sooner. I would give yourself a good 2 weeks before you go back to an office job, and take it easy for a week or two after that. You could have "bathroom issues" for at least a week after, though working at home would help with that. I was working from home within a few days of surgery but my stamina wasn't great until I transitioned from full liquids to thin purees on day 15 post-op. Your mileage may vary.

Congratulations on your new job and on your decision to get VSG--I'm sure that you will find an answer that is right for you!