Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Still losing weight while pregnant

Hi all,

I have been trying to stuff in a whole lot of extra calories because I have been dropping 3-4 lbs for the last 4 weeks. I have lost a total of 14 lbs and I am only 12 weeks along. Normally I would be thanking my lucky stars for that kind of weight loss but truthfully I am starting to worry that I am going to continue losing weight and eventually lose the baby because its not getting enough food.

I have pcos and I have been on metformin up until this week. My question is does anyone else have a similar experience? Does your body realize you need to sustain or gain some weight?

Thanks,

Kitty

I got pregnant about 10 months post op. I had such bad nausea and vomiting the first trimester that I ended up loosing 15lbs. I was pretty worried as well, but my doctor said that the baby will get what it needs from my body and I would be the one deficient, not baby. I started eating a lot more in 2nd trimester and started gaining weight about 20 weeks. I only gained 10 lbs until I was about 30 weeks, then another 10 by 39 weeks. So I gained 20 lbs total and am now 4 lbs away from ore pregnancy weight (my baby is 2 weeks old). Baby is great and was 7 1/2 lbs at birth. Hope this helps a little... I was soooo worried at first, but after ultrasounds showed baby looked good and I stopped loosing, I started to feel better. Good luck!

Kitty how far out from surgery are you?

I got pregnant about 10 months post op. I had such bad nausea and vomiting the first trimester that I ended up loosing 15lbs. I was pretty worried as well' date=' but my doctor said that the baby will get what it needs from my body and I would be the one deficient, not baby. I started eating a lot more in 2nd trimester and started gaining weight about 20 weeks. I only gained 10 lbs until I was about 30 weeks, then another 10 by 39 weeks. So I gained 20 lbs total and am now 4 lbs away from ore pregnancy weight (my baby is 2 weeks old). Baby is great and was 7 1/2 lbs at birth. Hope this helps a little... I was soooo worried at first, but after ultrasounds showed baby looked good and I stopped loosing, I started to feel better. Good luck![/quote']

Hi there,

Thanks for sharing your story! I can only hope that me pregnancy goes as well as yours.

The main difference so far is that I haven't been nauseous at all really. I am eating more than I would if I wasn't pregnant and I'm still losing....

I just don't get it because if I weren't pregnant and eating like this I would at least sustain my weight if not gain.

Anyways thanks for your story it makes me very hopeful that all will be just fine :)

Kitty

Hi there

I am 9 months post op....

keep us posted! I'm pregnant too, but I'm 18 months post op, So definately not the same.

I'm 12 weeks as well, I've lost weight in my first trimester. I was told that's normal, with the morning sickness. I see a high risk doctor & my doctor doesn't see anything wrong. Good Luck to you!!

Just wanted to say congrats to all! If you had pcos what rx dosage of metaformin did you take in order to get pregnant? Also did you have issues prior to wls conceiving?

Just wanted to say congrats to all! If you had pcos what rx dosage of metaformin did you take in order to get pregnant? Also did you have issues prior to wls conceiving?

Hi there,

Thanks for the congrats. It has been a long road to getting pregnant for us. We got pregnant with our first son in the first month and after 18 months we started trying with our second. We weren't getting pregnant and after 10 months I went to the dr and they inevitably said I needed to lose weight which was the whole reason I got sleeved. They said after 6 months I would start taking 1500 mg of metformin and it worked within 10 days I conceived and I hadn't even got to the full dose yet. This is apparently not that common only about 7% of women with pcos get pregnant with only metformin so I was very lucky.

I continued to take metformin through my first trimester because my ob told me it would reduce the possibility of miscarriage as well as gestational diabetes. However I only took 1000mg because that's all my stomach could handle.

I am 12 weeks and 3 days along now and all has been going well other than continuing to lose weight and having to go on omeprazole for terrible heartburn.

Anyways that's my story so far, it all started with trying to have a baby and that was in Aug 2011 and I am due in aug 2013. So it's been a two year road to get pregnant which has probably been one of the most difficult periods in my life but I know that that time period is nothing in compared to some women. So I'll thanks my lucky stars for all the good things in my life right now and I truly hope for the best for anyone dealing with weight and infertility.

Katherine

I'm in the same boat. I am 12 weeks pregnant, and 7 months post op. I have lost 18lbs this first trimester but have had really bad nausea and to tell the truth, most food is unappealing to me at this point. I have tried to eat more but I'm still loosing. My dr said baby is doing fine, he will take everything it needs and I will be the one feeling sick. So far so good, he said he wouldn't worry if I loose another 5 lbs, and that I should start gaining within a month or so. I have decided not to worry and relax, just trying to keep myself hydrated and eat every chance I get :), which is not much.